Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The dark side of the... erm Amex?

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
I know it seems a long time since the last night game, but we managed to get tickets to sit in ‘our’ seats in the WSL. Watching the second half of the match, play near the touch line on the east side seemed quite dark. Now the new East tier has been installed, will they need to adjust the lights?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Aren't the new East stand seats still wrapped in non-reflective cellophane? And if they're not currently occupied, would there be any point in lighting them?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The lights have always been the weakest part of the stadium I think. They meet the minimum standard obviously but are no better than Withdean and way below Premier League light levels. Very dark out there tonight.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Interesting you should say that.

I sit in the WSU and have often thought that the levels were rather low on the east touchline, leaving me struggling to follow play. I put it down to my late-40s failing eyesight but perhaps there is an issue after all!

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
They are supposed to be the latest thing and suitable for HD TV.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
No different to last season for me.

I agree no different..............DARK. I asked the club last year on two occasions but never got a reply.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I thought the lights were bordering on inadequate last year and it sounds as though nothing further has been done which is surprising as I wouldn't have thought a few more lighting units would cost that much?

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
The lighting of the empty seats in the Upper East was bright though. Thought the ground looks so much better now with the extra seats in. I do agree, the pitch lighting itself needs improving.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Aren't the new East stand seats still wrapped in non-reflective cellophane? And if they're not currently occupied, would there be any point in lighting them?
I think the OP is referring to the pitch...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I can't comment on last night as I wasn't there but I don't understand people saying that last season the lighting was just about adequate. My eyesight's not great but I had no difficulty in following the games. Never heard anyone say it wasn't up to scratch - where has this suddenly come from?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I can't comment on last night as I wasn't there but I don't understand people saying that last season the lighting was just about adequate. My eyesight's not great but I had no difficulty in following the games. Never heard anyone say it wasn't up to scratch - where has this suddenly come from?

It's been mentioned numerous times e.g. Floodlights at The Amex .

I read somewhere that they'd not put in the high-spec bulbs that tony hair asked for and they were all going to be changed. Don't know what happened to that.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
They meet the lux standard for the Football League but are at the lowest allowable level. Leaves a lot of shadows.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It's been mentioned numerous times e.g. Floodlights at The Amex .

I read somewhere that they'd not put in the high-spec bulbs that tony hair asked for and they were all going to be changed. Don't know what happened to that.

Fair enough. Not seen it before but I'm not on NSC every day so missed these.

Main point remains though: it's not something I've noticed from WSU (and I note from the thread you posted other people from there said it was no problem) so do different parts of the ground have different lighting? That seems rather strange to me.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Both viewing from WSU at The Amex and on telly the floodlights on the far side of the pitch look poor. The wing in front of the East stand is quite gloomy. Compare these to the lighting at many other grounds where you get a clear and sharp view of the action in all areas. I recall several posts about this last season and eventually the reply about the lamps being upgradable but no mention of whether this would actually happen. It would seem penny pinching not to do this having spent a fortune on a state of the art stadium, so hope it goes ahead. Maybe it is intended once the building works in ESU are finished?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here