Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1901 catering price hike - justified?

abc

Jan 6, 2007
I see that Azure have increased the platinum package from £38 last year to £41 this year. An increase of 8%. If you are a 1901 member, do you think this is justified?

Whilst it got a little better as the season progressed, the standard of catering, service etc remained, in my and the opinion of other 1901 members that I know, at times quite woeful.

A statement acknowledging the shortcomings of last season and as a result there had been something of a shake up would have been much more welcome. To be honest if that was accompanied by words to the effect of ' as a result of our invsetigations we have concluded that the only way we can provide a satisfactory service and provide value for money is to increase the price' I would be a little mollified. But an increase to £41 for something that wasn't satisfactory before the increase and without any acknowldgement of the fact throughout, simply dents my faith in Azure even further.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
To be fair, do you want us to sign Vicente or would you be happy with us getting in a Mark Farrington type player???
Apprecaite it is an out sourced company but it eventually make money for our club, if we get promoted I would expect everything to go up a little

Hans Kraay

Aug 3, 2003
Church Langley, Essex
What do you get for that £41?

A three course meal with pies at half time and cakes after the match drinks not included

abc

Jan 6, 2007
To be fair, do you want us to sign Vicente or would you be happy with us getting in a Mark Farrington type player???
Apprecaite it is an out sourced company but it eventually make money for our club, if we get promoted I would expect everything to go up a little

Totally fair comment. However if Azure are not perceived to provide value (and value can also take account of where the money goes and the setting I guess) then bookings will fall, the value of 1901 membership will be diminished and ultimtaley the club will receive less income.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Totally fair comment. However if Azure are not perceived to provide value (and value can also take account of where the money goes and the setting I guess) then bookings will fall, the value of 1901 membership will be diminished and ultimtaley the club will receive less income.

This is what has happened to a degree. The problem is, those that buy dining on a match-by-match basis were so horrified (and I mean horrified) by the appalling food and service for the first half of last season that some just don't bother any more.

There is a hardcore of people who last year bought a full seasons worth of dining, I wonder if they will all do the same this season

Personally I like the concept, and experience, but the food and service is way below par for what they charge and I doubt we will use it until we hear very favourable reports from others.

For now we will continue to park up early doors in Bennetts Field, train into Brighton, meet up with some fiends, spot of lunch (far, far better quality and value than 1901) then train back to the Amex for a couple of bevies pre match.

If they want to make lots of money from it, then they have to improve their offer massively.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Surely it can't be hard too provide a decent offering with those prices quoted? Is the £41.00 mentioned per match or per month?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The fact you are prepared to do all that rather than eat there should have alarm bells ringing in the ears of BHAFC.

It seems like there is now a noticeable premium being added to things just because they are offered at The Amex. BHAFC should realise their services are not indispensable. Last season I bought a pie and a pint/soft drink at every game. If I turn up on August 21st and find it costs £1 or £1.50 more to do that, maybe I'll just have my lunch at home on a Saturday. It's a shame, because a full Amex with people willing to dine or stay behind is a fantastic prospect, but the club seems to be doing all it can to ensure it doesn't happen.

It won't. They've gone up 30p for each (unconfirmed that it's going up 50p for the pie/pint deal).

However, that is getting to the top end of what I would find tolerable.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Surely it can't be hard too provide a decent offering with those prices quoted? Is the £41.00 mentioned per match or per month?

Per person, per match

The fact you are prepared to do all that rather than eat there should have alarm bells ringing in the ears of BHAFC.

It seems like there is now a noticeable premium being added to things just because they are offered at The Amex. BHAFC should realise their services are not indispensable. Last season I bought a pie and a pint/soft drink at every game. If I turn up on August 21st and find it costs £1 or £1.50 more to do that, maybe I'll just have my lunch at home on a Saturday. It's a shame, because a full Amex with people willing to dine or stay behind is a fantastic prospect, but the club seems to be doing all it can to ensure it doesn't happen.

Very, very valid points, let's hope someone from 1901 is reading this.

It is amazing when you think of it like that. If I went out in Brighton and spend £82 on a meal for two people before drinks, I'd be expecting something pretty damn good. I'm also pretty confident I would get something that lived up to my expectations. In fact, I think I could go out in Brighton and spend half that and get a decent meal. Why would Azure think people are willing to pay silly money for shit food just because they can see a bit of the Amex pitch out the window?

And therein lies our reasoning. Last night I went to a country pub in Amberley, had a full menu to choose from, got freshly prepared food, all in it cost less than £40 for the food (for both of us), and I would say it was better quality than what they serve in the Profile Lounge.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Jesus some people are living in the ice age ... if we want success we have to pay for it.

At a £1,000 per year+ to watch Championship football I think us 1901'ers are 'paying' for it!.

As for the 'meals'. I for one have not eaten at the Amex and have no intention of doing so. At £20 a head I may do it occasionally but the prices are not going to drop to those levels, thats for sure.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Jesus some people are living in the ice age ... if we want success we have to pay for it.

It's not really as black and white as that is it. Azure are pricing this up at £41 per game per person. To me this represents terrible value, as previously mentioned I could go to Chilli pickle before a game have lunch and a couple of beers for well under that price. I think a major rethink is needed here either on quality or price.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield

Yes, people are in for a real financial culture shock over the next few years. One of the problems with the high numbers of season ticket sales is we are a captive audience. They will be able to get away with murder on the basis that people won't want to give them up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here