Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

3D printing - Fancy 'printing' a working gun at home?!

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
3D printing is crazy, isn't it?

The whole idea of electronically sending an item to anyone, anywhere in the world, and 'printing' that solid object it in your home or office? Mental.

Imagine if you could print a working gun.

Oh, no need to imagine: The Worlds First 3D-Printed Gun

This technology is moving FAST.

worlds-first-3d-printed-gun-520x363.jpg

Last edited:

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Incredible stuff, my friends a Desgin teacher at some posh school and they have one of these, truley fantastic the things it can do.

D

Deleted member 22389

Anyone who has worked in Mechanical Engineering will understand that to create something like that, it would first need to machined in metal first.

One they have the two halves they then go in to an injection moulding machine which then creates the mould.

Once this technology comes down in price and these 3D printers are capable of producing 1000's of components a day, I wonder if there will be any need for machining.

These 3d printers are bloody amazing.

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
Wait till the technology allows the machines to replicate themselves.

They already do, the test software for most of the 3d printers will print a spare set of cogs and gears for the printer that's printing it incase the originals wear out.

And I know the cost is high at the moment but remember when colour laser printers first came out and cost well over a grand, or CD burners where blank CDs cost £20 each?, the more people start to use them the cheaper they will become, I think within 2 years a decent 3d printer will be available off the shelf for the home for under £200 and when they do I will be in the queue to get one

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
3D printing is crazy, isn't it?

The whole idea of electronically sending an item to anyone, anywhere in the world, and 'printing' that solid object it in your home or office? Mental.

Imagine if you could print a working gun.

Oh, no need to imagine: The Worlds First 3D-Printed Gun

This technology is moving FAST.

worlds-first-3d-printed-gun-520x363.jpg

That's crazy!!! In theory you could replicate ANYTHING??? In 30 years time, with the advancement of technology, we could forget having to "buy" players, we could just print them off. 3D printing off a Pele in his prime, a Bobby Moore being replicated for the Albion defence?!?!

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Yep, in 10 years or less, we could all have one of these in our gardens:

ted-bates.jpg

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
It prints layers, so it would include the insides

Bearing in mind my design expertise is a solid intercity 125 in woodwork when I was 13, does it print it in paper then or whatever material you need and would you have to print the parts and then put it together.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Bearing in mind my design expertise is a solid intercity 125 in woodwork when I was 13, does it print it in paper then or whatever material you need and would you have to print the parts and then put it together.

I know little, but as far as I know given the level they are at currently, they mostly print components, apart from the very simplest of things, e.g. I saw a working refs whistle "printed" the other day, without need for putting anything together, but I suspect at the mo, anything more complicated woud be components - but not for long.

I need a new kidney made from my own tissue, but I think I may have to wait a while for that one.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
How would it print the insides ???

My limited understanding of it is that it prints hundreds of thousands of very thin layers on top of each other to produce a 3d object, so the insides can be printed too.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
This is absolutely mind-boggling. I knew the technology was being developed, but I had no idea it was already so advanced.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

Watch the video above - and keep in mind that's a cheap, consumer model!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here