Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The 'Official' Olympic thread - sub section - Cycling

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
All things bike - Road, Track, BMX, men's, women.

I'm sure we will find our way home to 'cycling geeks' soon.
In the meantime to save encroaching on the now historic TdF thread, lets have all things Olympian and 2 wheeled here.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ayk7d4nCUAAUJAd.jpg

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You could start by posting pics of Victoria Pendleton looking incredibly shaggable. Chop chop.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Who is off to Dorking/Box Hill Saturday?
It's only about 7 miles from my house so I might try. My wife went up there yesterday with our boys and there were dozens of practice squads out there, and there are barriers all the way up the zig zag hill so you can barely get lane of cars up there. And there is a big Olympic ring thingy up there too. It's quite busy and exciting!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Are these Olympic cyclists or just random blokes in the Team GB get up.

And is it bad I don't know this.
Not knowing Cav, (the middle one) makes you a bad boy.

Will we have other sub sections, Track & Field, Aquatic, Equestrian etc.
I think it might be the way to go, for NSC to discuss the forth coming Olympiad.

Not knowing Cav, (the middle one) makes you a bad boy.

Will we have other sub sections, Track & Field, Aquatic, Equestrian etc.
I think it might be the way to go, for NSC to discuss the forth coming Olympiad.

Ah yes, now I look closer and squint a bit I can see its The Manx Missile.

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley
It's only about 7 miles from my house so I might try. My wife went up there yesterday with our boys and there were dozens of practice squads out there, and there are barriers all the way up the zig zag hill so you can barely get lane of cars up there. And there is a big Olympic ring thingy up there too. It's quite busy and exciting!

I think you'll find Box Hill sold out a long time ago, the seats at least

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
I'm a Games Maker working on the two road races (plus next Wednesday's time trial), and will be stationed in Dorking (not far from the Box Hill section). To say I'm excited is something of an understatement.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What's a 'Games Maker'?

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
I'm going to Putney to watch it.......but with someone who is not a boozer.

So my question is - what do we do in Putney or area for 5 hours until the riders
come back through?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
'Games Maker' is the LOCOG definition of a 'volunteer'. In my case, I'm a 'Field of Play Team Member', which basically translates as 'course marshal'!
Did you ask for cycling or just get lucky?

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
Did you ask for cycling or just get lucky?

Briefly, as a member of British Cycling I received an email a couple of years ago asking if I wanted to be involved (I presume this went to most, if not all, of their database). This was a couple of months before the application process was opened up for the general public, and I jumped at the chance to get involved. After completing a lengthy online application, an interview (Feb '11), test event (Surrey Cycle Classic, Aug '11), training (Feb & July '12), it's cool to think we've nearly reached 'showtime'!

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
Going to watch it near Headley as easy to get to from my girlfriends parents in Tadworth. Anybody have any idea when they will be starting the first circuit of Box hill. (I am hoping that I have got it right in that Headley Common road forms part of the circuit they loop around?)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Briefly, as a member of British Cycling I received an email a couple of years ago asking if I wanted to be involved (I presume this went to most, if not all, of their database). This was a couple of months before the application process was opened up for the general public, and I jumped at the chance to get involved. After completing a lengthy online application, an interview (Feb '11), test event (Surrey Cycle Classic, Aug '11), training (Feb & July '12), it's cool to think we've nearly reached 'showtime'!
Great stuff you must be really excited.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here