Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Advice sought: dripping kitchen mixer tap

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We've got one and it's annoying and we want to fix it.

Everything I can see online shows the problem is solved by removing the tap ends and doing some jiggery pokery inside, eg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WVDV6TXgwQ

Our problem is that our tap ends do not come off - there's nothing that can be flicked off to get to a screw etc, they are both solidly cast.

The only screw available to us is a small one on the back of the main tap itself. We can take that off and the take the tap head off but from there, there is no obvious way of getting to anything else.

NSC, don't let me down, help me fix my sodding leaking tap please.

nick c

Mar 29, 2008
bn26
We've got one and it's annoying and we want to fix it.

Everything I can see online shows the problem is solved by removing the tap ends and doing some jiggery pokery inside, eg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WVDV6TXgwQ

Our problem is that our tap ends do not come off - there's nothing that can be flicked off to get to a screw etc, they are both solidly cast.

The only screw available to us is a small one on the back of the main tap itself. We can take that off and the take the tap head off but from there, there is no obvious way of getting to anything else.

NSC, don't let me down, help me fix my sodding leaking tap please.

Post a photo of the tap head so i can see.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
normally would flick a cover off the tap head, then a screw to release the tape head then a spanner to release the rest of the tap inners which then you would replace a rubber washer and replace all and job done,

picture of the top with cover off facing down would be good :)

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Do the handles turn a 1/4 of a turn, or a couple of full revolutions, for full-on to full-off ?

If the former, they are ceramic discs, and probably not worth the effort/cost to replace.

If the latter, then (if it's whole, and just worn on the face) you don't even need a new washer once inside; just flip it, and re-use.

Oct 6, 2010
Do the handles turn a 1/4 of a turn, or a couple of full revolutions, for full-on to full-off ?

If the former, they are ceramic discs, and probably not worth the effort/cost to replace.

If the latter, then (if it's whole, and just worn on the face) you don't even need a new washer once inside; just flip it, and re-use.

What this guy said... except if you have 1/4 turn (ceramic disc) taps, get in touch with the tap manufacturer, they will send you a replacement "cartridge" for a small fee, smaller than a new tap at least.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Managed to get into the tap. It's a quarter turn effort.

Is this the ceramic cartridge that needs replacing? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342358802.646884.jpg

Oct 6, 2010
If you turn the metal bit at the top,and watch the other end, you will see the disc turn and possibly if it is shutting correctly if not. The cartridge is the whole piece you have just removed that will need replacing if so.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Can't determine which one of the two might be shot...

Normally bought in pairs so change both as matter of course

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Can't determine which one of the two might be shot...

As Jimmy said Bozza, you have to replace the whole cartridge

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
IMHO ceramic washers are a waste of space in hard water areas where chalk gets deposited, and so will want replacing regularly. They are cheap to replace so buy yourself a couple of spares for next time.

Kim

Nov 13, 2012
How did you get into the tap? I have a similar one and cannot get into it?
Thanks

Kim

Nov 13, 2012
Tap

How did you get into the tap? I have a similar one and cannot get into it?
Thanks
:(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here