Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Google Nexus 7

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
8 or even 16gb wouldn't last you that long. Got through that comfortably on my iPhone.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
8 or even 16gb wouldn't last you that long. Got through that comfortably on my iPhone.

It depends on how you use it.

Our 32gb iPad is mainly used to watch video, but we stream at home using the gorgeous Plex, essentially meaning we have terabytes of video available.

When we're heading away from home, we'll just load the iPad up with whatever we need. 16gb would be fine for us.

Beyond that, there is clearly a move towards limited on board storage with access to media via the cloud. Universal WiFi access is not here yet but it creeps closer all the time.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It depends on how you use it.

Our 32gb iPad is mainly used to watch video, but we stream at home using the gorgeous Plex, essentially meaning we have terabytes of video available.

When we're heading away from home, we'll just load the iPad up with whatever we need. 16gb would be fine for us.

Beyond that, there is clearly a move towards limited on board storage with access to media via the cloud. Universal WiFi access is not here yet but it creeps closer all the time.

I have a crapload of games. Games like GTA3 and Max Payne take up near enough a GB each.

kano

Jun 17, 2011
There is almost as much bezel around the screen as there is screen. Ill buy a spare battery for my galaxy s3 and watch movies on that.

Its a shame because at that price point there is room for a device to compete with the ipad. It doesn't have to be as well built or specced as the ipad but it DEFINITELY has to be more flexible, and that means SD Cards....thats what android is all about no? Let us use our devices how we like?

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Lot of love already coming out for this device. And at that price point, it's not hard to see why.

I'd want a play on one first, but it could very well be on my wish list after I've had a hands on.

Base model for just £159 is very attractive

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
I cringe when I read phrases like "learning your preferences over time". No - if it's not doing exactly what I tell it to do, it's *guessing*!

Also, are there any worries about Google tie-in, and Google knowing everything you do? I know I'm paranoid, but I worry about companies that want to rule the world - Facebook, Amazon, Google, Microsoft (maybe not MS so much now!). [Edit] Oh, and Apple of course!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Also, are there any worries about Google tie-in, and Google knowing everything you do? I know I'm paranoid, but I worry about companies that want to rule the world - Facebook, Amazon, Google, Microsoft (maybe not MS so much now!). [Edit] Oh, and Apple of course!

1m Android devices (phones, mainly) are activated every day. Each one of them needs a Google account. Google are good guys, right?

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
Entry level tablet. The specs are low, but then so is the price. But you get what you pay for I guess. Will fill a void for those less inclined to spend £400+ on a tablet, so they will certainly shift a lot. A lot more than Microsoft will anyway. Having used Android to develop apps, I quite like the OS, it's smooth and feels good so I'm sure it'll be a good little deal for a lot of people.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Entry level tablet. The specs are low, but then so is the price. But you get what you pay for I guess. Will fill a void for those less inclined to spend £400+ on a tablet, so they will certainly shift a lot. A lot more than Microsoft will anyway. Having used Android to develop apps, I quite like the OS, it's smooth and feels good so I'm sure it'll be a good little deal for a lot of people.

Really would you care to give an example of where the specs are low ? I can find no fault with the choice of processor and graphics chips and having had nothing but good experience with Asus kit, I have no concerns about quality.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Will be trying to catch a march on Amazon in the UK with this tablet - don't know why the Kindle Fire isn't out here yet but if they don't act fast (apparently rumours of Kindle Fire 2 being announced end of July) they'll miss their chance.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Really would you care to give an example of where the specs are low ? I can find no fault with the choice of processor and graphics chips and having had nothing but good experience with Asus kit, I have no concerns about quality.

The screen, whilst undoubtedly decent enough, is a long way away from the quality of the iPad, but for the price differential that is understandable.

And I'd always take Apple build quality over Asus, which is often shonky. But, again, you pays your money you takes your choice.

This is not going to be an 'iPad killer'. People who want a serious tablet are still going to be getting an iPad but for a cheap and competent device, the Nexus 7 is quite compelling and should allay some of Google's recent fears of the success of the Kindle Fire, which we're still yet to see officially over here. In forking Android, Amazon have largely taken people away from the Google Play marketplace and looked to lock them into Amazon for most of their media. With other Android tablets floundering massively, and with a very low number of Android tablet specific apps, this effort from Google should start to improve things.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012

Sure. I'll compare it to the iPad. I didn't say there will be a problem with it. On the contrary I said for the price it's a good bit of kit. But doesn't come close to an iPad, that's all :)

Display
Nexus 7: 1280x800 214ppi
iPad 3: 2048x1536 264ppi

Battery life:
Nexus 7: Up to 8 hours
iPad 3: Up to 10 hours

Graphics
Nexus 7: Unknown
iPad 3: A5X chip with quad-core graphics drives

Camera
Nexus 7: 1.2MP
iPad 3: 5mp with HD (1080p) up to 30 frames per second with audio

Memory
Nexus 7: Up to 16GB
iPad 3: Up to 64GB

Wireless and Mobile
Nexus 7: Standard 802.11a/b/g/n (no mobile support, that I can see)
iPad 3: Standard 802.11a/b/g/n & 4G support

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I am also buying a sport car, should I be concerned that I won't be able to tow your caravan ?

Beh? Apps on Nexus are likely to be larger file sizes than on the smaller-screened iPhone.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here