Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The great Vicente saga - 2012 edition [All quite exciting in the end]

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I got a bit of stick - some light-hearted, some not - on Twitter earlier this evening when I suggested people should be a bit guarded about the club's announcement re: Vicente and the contract extension.

I've spoken to a few people (they are impeccable sources - you can choose to believe it or not - regardless I'm not naming them) this evening who do know what is going on, and it would be rude not to share.

1. The contract extension option was always there as many knew.

2. The Albion have been attempting to negotiate a brand new deal with Vicente which would have been announced with great fanfare.

3. Things were going very well.

4. Things seem to have taken a turn for the worse. There may be third parties involved, in the form of other clubs, or Vicente's advisors could be attempting to maximise the return for their client.

5. The Albion have invested a significant amount of time, and not a small amount of money, in Vicente. He was on the scrap heap last Summer with very little interest in his services. In January there was no interest in his services. Since then, the club's medical and coaching staff have turned him around, as we all saw and took great delight in. As such, to let Vicente just walk out to another club would be, in short, madness.

6. The club have taken the contract extension to protect the Albion's interests. It is hoped that a deal can be done with Vicente, and we all get to enjoy him next season. But, if he chooses not to return, the club will get some decent compensation for all the work put in.

The club are in a win-win position here - we either get Vicente or we get a fee and a wages saving that can be spent elsewhere. There are some very exciting names on Poyet's shopping list so if we don't have Vicente any more, you can be certain we'll have some equally mouth-watering players in the stripes next season.

What happens next? Vicente has been told to report for training next week, so we'll start to get an idea on the next chapter of this tale on Monday morning.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Interesting and probably the only option the club had if this is what is happening.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Or no one buys him and he ends up sulking in the reserves!

But thank you for sharing Bozza, despite the grief you got on Twitter!

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
:drama:

Thanks for clearing that up Bozza. As many had alluded to, it's not as clear cut as it seems.

What's more exciting for me is what you have teased us with! :drool:

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
Points 1 to 3 are pretty much what I assumed. I'd rather have him here because he wants to play for us of course. Hopefully he is a fair man and realises he owes the club.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
Thanks for the info.

I remember when bloom took over as chairman and the pre-announcement you made, ie when you said it would get very busy in here in a few hours!

So you are a verry trusted source... for ME!

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Or no one buys him and he ends up sulking in the reserves!

But thank you for sharing Bozza, despite the grief you got on Twitter!

That's my worry. So we ended up with an unhappy player we can't get rid of not putting an effort into getting himself fit. Joy. What's more concerning from my point of view is that we've completely gone against our word that we'd let him go if he didn't want to be here.

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
I was one of the 'light hearted' twitterers, so fair play for trying to get to the bottom of the club statement.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
so the accused doom and gloom mongers were actually correct. it was logical that all was not normal

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
Absolutely the right thing to do for the club. This may actually put off any potential suitors as paying a fee may
not have been part of their thinking. One slight worry is that VR may not be best pleased with the club acting in this way

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here