Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst soccer hooliganism seen in Brighton

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Cardiff are the worst because they add nationalism in with mindless hooliganism.

WORST I ever saw was Ipswich away in april 1992 as we went down. Was in a pub with about 40-60 Albion fans. 20 or so disappeared very quickly to scrap with about 60 or so Ipswich twats, Then bottles ash trays chairs and everything went flying through the air, all the windows in the pub were smashed up and pretty much covered the pub in blood. Not a great experience. That game actually had an age limit on it. No-one below the age of 14 was allowed on the terracing. Anyone remember that?

Jul 5, 2003
Manchester.
Dropkick Turnip said:
Oh do tell us!

Poll tax riots and the may day riots 4 years ago. At the front line. Keeping the poilce pinned back oppisite cannon street tube station, Now thats what you call f***ing rioting!!

Last edited:

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Started goin properly in 94 and remember the Canvey Island (everything flying over the top of meat wagons) saga well but will never forget watchin the rucks after the Oxford home game in autumn 94 (when Nogan could still score!!!!).

It all kicked off immediately after the game and remember seeing a Brighton fan lamp a policeman straight into the iron fencing next to the church, in the south-east corner of the ground! Couldn't even get to Hove station without groups of Oxford thinkin they were up to the challenge!

Cardiff in the last year at the Goldstone also chased some of us banned fans out from the houses (with views)... scary skinheads!!

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Rich Suvner said:

Cardiff in the last year at the Goldstone also chased some of us banned fans out from the houses (with views)... scary skinheads!!

Why were you banned?

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Was one to invade pitch in October against Lincoln in protest against the board... I know some people never liked all that but I still believe it was in the best interests.

Fortunately a fantastic lady, owning a house with views over the south-east terracing, used to let all banned fans into her garden - until after that Cardiff game!!! B'stards!!! - in truth, I seem to remember we went one up, and those of us (ignorant young 'uns) in the garden started taunting them, before they just left their seats exited the Goldstone and headed straight into the gardens!!! Oh shit, they were scary!

p.s. The best thing was that despite being arrested later for Lincoln, they never caught me for opening the South-East terrace gates to all those who boycotted (financially) the Mansfield game later that year... otherwise I'd have been banned across the country for a little while - and that would've meant missin Hereford (NO WAY!)
:salute:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Fair enough. You are not a violent hoolie!

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Not a hoolie, but at times during the 'war years' there was something particularly exiting about being involved in all those protests due to the good cause.

Despite the club's plight their was an amusing edge - like ensuring that Focus DIY staff couldn't enter or exit their business HQ in some northern town (name slips my memory!), on the way to Rochdale (whose fans were awesome in our support - never forgotton)

I don't... and yet I do kind of miss all the walk outs, break-ins(!), bonfires, pitch invasions, whistle protests, fireworks, home visits, snowball fights with Bellotti's house, etc - anything to save the Albion. Whilst it was such a serious issue, we had so much fun in the process!!!

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Rich Suvner said:
Fortunately a fantastic lady, owning a house with views over the south-east terracing, used to let all banned fans into her garden - until after that Cardiff game!!! B'stards!!! - in truth, I seem to remember we went one up, and those of us (ignorant young 'uns) in the garden started taunting them, before they just left their seats exited the Goldstone and headed straight into the gardens!!! Oh shit, they were scary!

I can remember that incident quite clearly! I remember a group of City nutters suddenly leaving the ground for no apparent reason, and nobody around us knew where they were going or why. Then word got around that there was some sort of commotion going on outside the ground. Very quickly, the police sealed off the exit gates to stop any more of our loonies from getting out.

The trouble seemed to die down pretty quickly, but I remember loads of people in my section of the terrace trying to get a look at whatever was happening. On the way home, nobody on our coach was aware of what had actually happened. But now I know!

That wasn't a good trip at all for me - City were absolute rubbish, we lost 0-2, and I got smacked in the mouth after the game. Happy days!

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Better nights down the Nelson LB :drink:

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
the cardiff match in 97 may not have been the worst i've seen, but the cardiff hoolie offering me out, then a copper, and then fighting the police dog on the shoreham road was definitely my funniest ever football moment.....

Dandyman

In London village.
Buzza said:
Spurs at home (and away) 1978?

Pompey at home 1972?

Millwall at home (various years)

:shootself

The Spurs (home) game was my 15th birthday. There was a massive ruck in the North Stand, a pitch invasion and we won 3-1. For the 70's a great day out !

Jul 5, 2003
BN11
Lucky_Boy_Farang said:
Poll tax riots and the may day riots 4 years ago. At the front line. Keeping the poilce pinned back oppisite cannon street tube station, Now thats what you call f***ing rioting!!
Oh, you make me so proud! I'd love to know how "keeping the police pinned back" furthers your endeavours. Or was it less about the cause and more about the riot, eh?

Dandyman

In London village.
Richie Morris said:
walsall away minor off at the bescott train station.

Walsall wins some sort of Carry On award for being inspired by a certain well known older Albion fan responding to the "gay" chants of the local inbreds by responding that one of them was wearing a jacket of such outstanding campness that he should move to Kemp Town immediately ! :D

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Captain Sensible said:
WORST I ever saw was Ipswich away in april 1992 as we went down. Was in a pub with about 40-60 Albion fans. 20 or so disappeared very quickly to scrap with about 60 or so Ipswich twats, Then bottles ash trays chairs and everything went flying through the air, all the windows in the pub were smashed up and pretty much covered the pub in blood. Not a great experience. That game actually had an age limit on it. No-one below the age of 14 was allowed on the terracing. Anyone remember that?

I remember that day quite clearly. The fans were segregated by some big netting, but that didn't really do much to stop the coins and lighters etc that were being thrown at us by the home end.

4 of us went to the game in fancy dress, inspired by Stoke (I think) who had turned up at the Goldstone in party gear for their relegation day, they had a great day and wooped us 4-0.

We were at a petrol station after the game, and a car pulled up and started singing "going down" at us. Now I accept that sort of banter during the game, but face-to-face I think we are all fans together and show some sympathy. Angered by this I - resplendant in my nuns habits - stormed across the forecourt to issue a volley of abuse back to them through the drivers window.

I often wonder what anyone seeing this would have made of it.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Shows how these threads can go off topic, as thinking about it, my last post was neither "hooliganism" nor "in Brighton."

Italiaseagull

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney
I wasn't there, but when I heard about it kicking off away to Southend in 1998, I wet myself when I was told that a policeman got knocked unconscious when a wheely bin hit struck him on the head! :lol:

Scotland v England at Hampen in 1989 - lots of running in very wide streets...........

England v We.Germany at Turin 1990 - looked like World War 3 had broken out in central Turin by the time the England fans arrived after the game.

BHA v Millwall 1977 - the notorious FTroop blue balaclavas everywhere,
BHA v spurs in 78 - pitch invasion, Spurs broke into the East stand, and someone broke their leg in the gamem which we won.
BHA v Chelsea 83 - ahhh memories of Tony Millard screeching over the PA for the police to come back inside the ground, they'd all scarprered into Hove Park waiting for the ruck to start ourtside, so it kicked off inside without them........

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Dandyman said:
Walsall wins some sort of Carry On award for being inspired by a certain well known older Albion fan responding to the "gay" chants of the local inbreds by responding that one of them was wearing a jacket of such outstanding campness that he should move to Kemp Town immediately ! :D

I was next to a bloke who got hit by a 2p that some fat inbred with his bell out through..and him calling him a pikey inbred tosser and throwing a quid back for good measure..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here