Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst soccer hooliganism seen in Brighton

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
Whats the worst you've seen first hand.
Me, it was probably when we played Palace at Goldstone Boxing Day approx 1979. The whole North Stand was one big fight (or so it seemed to me standing on my milk crate in the East Terrace family section with my Dad!)
Other than that probably Bournmouth away a few years back. Andy Kennedy scored. At one point a load of our "boys" ran out of our section into the Bournmouth stand. Unbelievable!!! :ohmy:

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
Bournmouth away - was that the game on the tele?

Thinking about it, I've been quite lucky in that I don't think I've ever seen any actual fighting take place. I only became a Goldstone regular in late '94, so things were pretty quiet on the holligan front then anyway - far too many more important things were just around the corner...

I think the only time I've been close was during a game against Orient (I think?) around 1995. It seemed a handfull of theirs were in the North Stand and proceeded to attempt to take it. I just heard that low rumbling roar and the thud of boots and fists flying.

The occasional drunk outside the game trying to take entire contingents of away supporters doesn't really count... :rolleyes: :lolol:

Sigull

'Arte et Marte'
Jul 16, 2003
Bracklesham Bay
For me,it was Brighton ol' bill last season when we at home to pompey, after the match at The Railway Bell, they were a disgrace:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Sonic

Spiky little bugger!
Jul 6, 2003
Patcham
Sometime mid 80's against Leeds.
I had come out of the lego stand at the Goldstone and was walking across Hove Park to see absolute mayhem ahead of me. Bearing in mind I was probably about 11 at the time, it was bloody scary. I remember a copper leaping from his horse, and twatting some bloke over the head with his truncheon.
I was with my neighbour at the time who was a WPC (as they called them in those days), who shielded and shepherded me away from the main carnage.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Spurs at home (and away) 1978?

Pompey at home 1972?

Millwall at home (various years)

:shootself

I'd agree with Spurs at home. They were total scum and roamed the town acting like utter neanderthals. I saw some pratt at the beach propositioning a mother with her young child, dropped his pants in front of her and was as foulmouthed as possible, backed by his 'crew' of course.

If I was on my last legs, I would gladly off a couple of that sort with a happy trigger, I really would . I don't see why their lives are any more valuable than any of the defenceless creatures we kill for practically thoughtless or meaningless reasons. Humans put dogs to sleep simply because there's no home for them - why not cull the worst of humanity for a much better cause? Either that, or practise dropping chemicals in their eyes just so we can learn more about toxicity ....or applying a blowtorch so we can learn about how to best treat bad burns .

Seagull Stew

Hadn't started going to matches when we came up against Tottenham and missed the "war" with Chelsea in 1983-84. Don't remember feeling too intimidated by Palace but Pompey frightened the shit out of me when they were given the North stand.
In fact, every Pompey match since I think I've seen some trouble apart from the Prawn sandwich brigade that turned up for the game at the Withdean last season.
Oh yes, and Millwall at home in the play-offs was amusing with their gap-toothed wonder trying to take on the whole North stand on his own.
Classic! :lolol:

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
The North Stand during the 1970s was lively. I was there when Millwall, wearing surgical masks, were throwing bottles up into the girders of the North Stand roof, showering glass on people underneath. I saw West Hams finest clear the North Stand in about 30 seconds flat. Loads of trouble in the town on the weekends when Leeds, Tottenham and Chelsea came down. A mate of mine who doesnt even follow foootball got knocked unconcious waiting for a bus.

I reckon though that Brighton now are far more capable of looking after themselves, especially away from home, which IMHO is a good thing.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Not seen much at withdean, sheffield utd last season when the BBc came down and it kicked off a lot. Chesterfield in the car aprk the season before when it 2v2. More seen at away games and loads at goldstone but a bit oung back then to remember it vividl, generally shepperded awa by the old man.
grimsby away last year saw a brighton fan get hit by a taxi and get up and keep smacking some grimsby fan, walsall away minor off at the bescott train station. Stoke and port vale always scallies lurking everywhere.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Winny the Seagull said:
The North Stand during the 1970s was lively. I was there when Millwall, wearing surgical masks, were throwing bottles up into the girders of the North Stand roof, showering glass on people underneath. I saw West Hams finest clear the North Stand in about 30 seconds flat. Loads of trouble in the town on the weekends when Leeds, Tottenham and Chelsea came down. A mate of mine who doesnt even follow foootball got knocked unconcious waiting for a bus.

I reckon though that Brighton now are far more capable of looking after themselves, especially away from home, which IMHO is a good thing.

I remember Millwall. We were in the South-west with a load of "Treatment". They were allowed in our stand because it was "raining". They were 2 up at half time. We won 3-2. Everytime we scored it "yep" (a la Jasper Carrot at Old Trafford).
There were murders that day. I had to go back with them on the train.

The same season there was a serious assault on a youngster in the South Stand toilets by some Preston thugs. So serious they read it out on the Tannoy. We pointed out the fans to the Police.

NMH after the Spurs game, 4 of us were surrounded by their mob in our car. They were very drunk. Fortunately, we weren't in colours and they eventually carried on "looking for the Brighton" (in a Neanderthal tone).

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Agree with Juan - Chelsea at home 1984 was pretty horrible.

Also got caught in a Millwall riot leaving the Goldstone once (not sure the exact season but mid-eighties) which wasn't that nice.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
was anyone at Canvey Island ? - a bit hairy to say the least when the West Ham & Southend fans turned up

Hilton

Jul 5, 2003
Norman, Oklahoma
Only stuff I have seen in the 14 years I have been going was at the Palace game at home this year. A load of their fans came down onto London Road from Preston Park station straight into a load of ours in that pub at the bottom. About 50 of ours charged over the road and started throwing glasses and bottles at them all (in a comedy style), and trying to hit them (in an even funnier style). Went on for about 5 minutes until they ran when about 30 police came and beat the crap out of the Palace guy on the floor who was bleeding badly.

Beefy

Jul 5, 2003
bed
The riot Cardiff fans had in Hove Park in 1997(bear in mind I've only been watching the Albion since 1994).

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
NMH said:
I'd agree with Spurs at home. They were total scum and roamed the town acting like utter neanderthals. I saw some pratt at the beach propositioning a mother with her young child, dropped his pants in front of her and was as foulmouthed as possible, backed by his 'crew' of course.

If I was on my last legs, I would gladly off a couple of that sort with a happy trigger, I really would . I don't see why their lives are any more valuable than any of the defenceless creatures we kill for practically thoughtless or meaningless reasons. Humans put dogs to sleep simply because there's no home for them - why not cull the worst of humanity for a much better cause? Either that, or practise dropping chemicals in their eyes just so we can learn more about toxicity ....or applying a blowtorch so we can learn about how to best treat bad burns .

I remember that. What made me so angry was the fact that the FA ordered us to put up those stupid fences. Hillsborough showed what a f***ed up idea that was.

Jul 5, 2003
Manchester.
Beefy said:
The riot Cardiff fans had in Hove Park in 1997(bear in mind I've only been watching the Albion since 1994).

What you on ? They didn't riot, Our lads and theirs had a tear up which lasted for about 5 minutes. If you had been in some riots that I've been involved in then you would class that as a war.

Think you've been having some dreams and think it's happend in reailty.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Lucky_Boy_Farang said:
What you on ? They didn't riot, Our lads and theirs had a tear up which lasted for about 5 minutes. If you had been in some riots that I've been involved in then you would class that as a war.

It wasn't just 'lads' v 'lads' that day, I can assure you. And I reckon Beefy has got it wrong too. It was the Seagulls 'lads' who launched the first offensive outside the ground after the game if I remember correctly.

As it happens, I got smacked in the mouth by some large Brighton toerag as I was heading back towards my coach, which was a bit much as I was with a girl (who lived in Brighton!) at the time.

One of the many occupational hazards of being a Cardiff City fan I'm afraid.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here