Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Quitting Smoking Thread

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls, Trolls and Vampires, as of 00.55am this morning, I have just had my last cigarette. I will hand myself over to the authorities first thing tomorrow for my 'training'.

I urge anyone thinking about giving up to post in this thread, so that we may support each other. I have smoked on average 20 odd Camels a day, and after 6 years of smoking (not a lot compared to some) I will be going cold turkey tomorrow morning, albeit with some medical help.

There was talk before of others quitting all together on this forum for solidarity, so if you are one of those reading, let's give it a month from now.

Quit by the 17th of July and let the season commence. If anyone wants a wager, I'm game.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
How did you do it?
During my three months of 'glory' I was wearing at least 4 patches a day, coupled with an 'E-cig'. Has anyone had those tables that the GP give you, because I think that's what I've surrendered to.

Did it with the patches for two weeks, then just thought I,ve done two weeks without a fag so didn't bother after that. Worst time is when drinking, so avoid the pub if you can. Not to bad these day's as smoking banned indoors. If you don't mind advise and i know it sounds easy but its down to yourself if you really want to stop you will. I had kids so that was the incentive for me. Good luck once again.

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
Good luck mate, coming up to 5 years for me. Xyban did the trick for me, didn't manage with patches.

Crackpot

Jun 4, 2011
Upper North Street
Good luck to you,and everyone else considering giving up.When the time is right,it's easy to do.

Smoking is insanity. It nearly cost me my life....but thirty grand to a cardiologist and five stents kept me alive.

Smoking is my biggest ever regret. Health is everything.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Good luck and keep at it.

I tried to give up pretty well every day for over 3 years ... some days would only get to about 10.00, sometimes I'd make 2/3 days .... then one day it just happened and I didn't get that gut wrenching, nail biting tension. That was 5+ years ago

So my tip is persevere ... you may not be successful today or tomorrow but keep at it and eventually you'll succeed if the desire is strong enough

life on mars 73

Oct 19, 2010
Keep a list of all the positive reasons why you want to give up : more money, whiter teeth, better health, fresher breath, better complexion, food tasting better, etc, etc. Must be at least 20 good solid reasons why it's an excellent idea. Keep this list to hand and run through it every time the nicotine demon comes calling.

Oh, and this worked for me too : keep some sharp, tangy citrus fruits to hand. A bitter orange or piece of lemon helps to alleviate the longing.

Ane like everyone says, one day at a time - good luck !

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I gave up on March the 20th this year and i'm also doing it by cold turkey. I have almost completed 3 calendar months. Sadly i have piled on the weight, i just can't help snacking.

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
Well done, and good luck! I quit on February 14th this year after 30+ years of smoking. I didn't use any patches, gum or any other product that supposedly 'helps', I just stopped and never looked back. The key to quitting is your state of mind, you have to WANT to give up, and not just on the surface, you have to want it with body and soul. I quit because I simply cannot afford to throw £60 per month away. Whenever I've been hit with a craving since I quit, I just tell myself how much I'd love a cigarette, but I simply cannot afford it and that's that. The cravings do still hit me every day, but stay focussed and they go away after a few minutes. I've been sticking to this method and I've found it surprisingly easy so far. I've tried several times in the past to quit, every time I've been unsuccessful until now, it's definately your state of mind that will determine whether you succeed or not. Good luck chap!

D

Deleted member 22389

I gave up on March the 20th this year and i'm also doing it by cold turkey. I have almost completed 3 calendar months. Sadly i have piled on the weight, i just can't help snacking.

I managed to give up for a whole year. One afternoon I managed to flip a switch in my brain and said from this point forward I am never going to smoke again. I did it, I gave up. A year later I decided to have a cigar whilst on holiday. Then I had a cigarette and it kickstarted the whole habit again. That was 6 years ago. I do wonder why I smoke, bad for your health, makes you stink. Mornings are absolutely the worst for me. I would love to be free of smoke again. I am seriously addicted. It is now awkward being a smoker as nobody I know smokes anymore. Makes you feel like a drug addict when you need to go outside for a nicotine fix.

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
I'm glad we got a thread on this. I bought one of those E-lite things about 5 weeks ago and not had cigarette since. Ok I know still technically smoking, just without tar, tobacco etc, but still feel like I've achieved something. Wife doesn't moan about me stinking, and I've got piggy bank that I'm sticking 30-40 quid a week in to treat the kids to something in Florida. I was on 20 day.

jackcgull

Feb 1, 2008
Amersham
green tea got me through the first few months... not a drink i had ever associated with smoking (ie coffee, proper tea, beer etc). also - flushed out the system quite well and stopped the snacking. best of luck with it - and always remember that the only thing a cigarette does for you is remove the imagined desire to have one - and only then for a short time.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
I went 3 months without smoking and although I found it easy to begin with I felt depressed towards the end, I ended up having a cigar on Christmas Eve and then treated myself to one if I was having a drink. I've managed to kick the habit during the day, I don't even think about it in the morning or whilst at work, i've cracked that bit, but it's the drinking thing, MAN do I gag for a smoke when i'm having a pint. I had to give in on that part and now have a pouch of baccy in the drawer for when i'm having a drink which seems to be most nights now :( Kicking the drink will get me off the fags, thats the next step I guess...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here