Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Quitting Smoking Thread

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
1, 894 days and 8 hours....so far. ( 21st November 2013)

Very best of luck to anyone considering taking a rest from smoking ciggies. As I have said before, I won't have one today...and probably not tomorrow either. Saturday is too far in advance to make a decision about whether to smoke or not.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Somebody mentioned this thread on [MENTION=14168]Durlston[/MENTION] ‘s hospital thread yesterday.

For the record I still haven’t had a smoke since July 2012. Sometimes I really fancy one but I daren’t. I know just one would turn me back into a proper smoker again in a matter of weeks.

How is everyone else doing?

I'm now determined to get off the cigarettes and if Tuesday night didn't scare me into quitting, nothing will.

I don't feel like smoking but there'll come a time when I'm 100% fit and start craving. Maybe nicotine gum or patch? Not convinced about those sickly sweet vapour things.

There's help out there especially on this thread. :thumbsup:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm now determined to get off the cigarettes and if Tuesday night didn't scare me into quitting, nothing will.

I don't feel like smoking but there'll come a time when I'm 100% fit and start craving. Maybe nicotine gum or patch? Not convinced about those sickly sweet vapour things.

Maybe give Nicocigs a go? They are the ones that look like a cigarette with the refill being a cartridge that looks like the filter. They do high, medium and low nicotine content refills and they give you a nicotine hit with a little bit of smoke. Not sweet and sickly and no cloud of smoke like a rasta on a massive joint :smile:

mattislost

Dec 12, 2011
1 month off the smokes today. The vape does feel like cheating a bit, but i've already dropped down a level of nicotine content

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I have been told to get off the cigarettes pronto. Are nicotine patches or gum any good? I know I can get off them but my God, it's going to take all the will power in the world - I've nearly halved since my scare in February and my follow-up x ray has shown nothing sinister just now. A huge, huge relief. :O

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
I have been told to get off the cigarettes pronto. Are nicotine patches or gum any good? I know I can get off them but my God, it's going to take all the will power in the world - I've nearly halved since my scare in February and my follow-up x ray has shown nothing sinister just now. A huge, huge relief. :O

The nicorette gums worked well for me. Chew as often as you need. I was on them for 2 years but they worked. The nicotine in the gum won't kill you, it's all the other crap in the fags that do that. I've been stopped 11 years now so good luck mate.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2013
Downunder

It’s hard but I chose “cold turkey”. I have friends who used patches, vapes and one who still chews nicotine gum every day since quitting the ciggies 10 years ago!

When I stopped I tried to do something to take my mind off it. Anything from going for a walk, washing the car, tidying a cupboard in the kitchen, tidying cupboards or drawers in the bedroom, running around with the vacuum.

Not only was I not smoking, I had the cleanest and tidiest house and car in the district!!!

Good Luck.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

A friend of mine had a clot on a lung, they survived (just), but were told stop smoking or die. They now use the vape things.

Good luck Andrew

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I want to quit.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove

16 months 'clean' for me, with the aid of a 'Vape pen'. Now down to a 1.5mg nicotine mix I combine myself. Can't get any lower than that.

So, recommended.

Last edited:

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Boxing Day 2011
Had a great incentive to stop as I was told by Dr after chest X-ray I had the start of COPD
I had a CT scan this month for something unrelated and was informed I no longer can be considered COPD sufferer. I stopped smoking,drinking changed diet and started regular walking, this I admit was after I was put on medication for diabetes and was also informed I have reversed the diabetes. So well pleased

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Sunday was the last time I had a cigarette and already I feel five years younger, have cut down on my anxiety medication (diazepam) and food tastes nicer and stronger.

I think I can crack this. The four duty free packs I have left I might sell in a pub for a fiver each (I know that's highly illegal but just binning them is such a waste when smokers queue up in a shop, paying around £12 a pack).

Early days and one step at a time though. There'll be tougher and more tempting times ahead. punish:

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
7 years last month.

Nice one mate.

Did you go cold turkey or wean off using gum or patches? I think I can go without - only a large packet of wine gums needed! It's something to aim for with all the health benefits and saving money. Saturday might be a challenge after a few pints of Guinness and the stress of matches against Bournemouth at home!

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Nice one mate.

Did you go cold turkey or wean off using gum or patches? I think I can go without - only a large packet of wine gums needed! It's something to aim for with all the health benefits and saving money. Saturday might be a challenge after a few pints of Guinness and the stress of matches against Bournemouth at home!

Cold Turkey. It was the best and only option for me. Brought Alan Carr's stop smoking book and joined quit smoking forums. I stayed in for 6 months to avoid pubs etc. It's a small sacrifice. Long walks and playing computer games.
I got to the point in life i hated smoking and i always knew i had the strength to quit.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Coming up to 12 years off the snouts this summer. Health wise it was the best decision of my life. About once a year I get a massive pang but it passes. Sorry no advice from me as to how to do it; I just decided on the indoor smoking ban day that that was it for me, and it stuck.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
It's amazing what people I know are saying to me now - "you've got more colour", "you've got more energy in your voice". "You seem happier". "You're more energetic full-stop".

This is something I should have done years ago. No point in looking back now - I can't change the past but the future I'm optimistic I'll never smoke those vile cancer sticks ever again. I think so many people on here have helped me and told their stories either on the hospital thread or by PM. Thank you so much.

I'm really not tempted anymore when I think what they contain, looking it up on the NHS quit smoking thread. :)

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
It is now eight days without a b@$tard stick of death passing my lips and I've been very rarely tempted. :clap:

I feel like I'm 26 again, my energy levels are sky high, my self-confidence is how it used to be and all my organs in the body feel like they're working properly as a reward for not punishing them. I really hope even if it's just ONE person on here who follows the benefits I've listed and quits the cigarettes it's worth posting this.

NSC is simply the best forum for help and support in the country. Without reading other people's stories on here I might have slipped back. Not me. Never again. I was in a near 20-year haze of smoke where I was lethargic, tired all the time and in a prison in my mind. I ain't going back there! :)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It is now eight days without a b@$tard stick of death passing my lips and I've been very rarely tempted. :clap:

I feel like I'm 26 again, my energy levels are sky high, my self-confidence is how it used to be and all my organs in the body feel like they're working properly as a reward for not punishing them. I really hope even if it's just ONE person on here who follows the benefits I've listed and quits the cigarettes it's worth posting this.

NSC is simply the best forum for help and support in the country. Without reading other people's stories on here I might have slipped back. Not me. Never again. I was in a near 20-year haze of smoke where I was lethargic, tired all the time and in a prison in my mind. I ain't going back there! :)
Excellent! Well done! anyone else still smoking should remember that they are already an ex smoker, just don't light another one! You CAN do it.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
1 year tonight, and WOW but I feel good, both physically and mentally. :clap2:

Any regrets? Yes, I should have done it years ago...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here