Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Proper barbershop cut throat razor shave

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I take it someone on here has had one?
But I'm guessing it's a holiday thing and not a routine local event.

Are they so much better than hacking away at your face with a Bic?

If so is there anywhere, preferably in the better half of Sussex but have face will travel, that still does a good shave? As my usual barbers doesn't and I've never seen it anywhere else.

After 6 months of pretty intense self loathing, which has seen my post count go through the roof. I now look like the ******* son of Worzel Gummage and Brian Blessed.
So if I could possibly muster up the self worth to do something about it, I might do it properly. But where?

Alternatively I might just see if I can match Tom Hanks, and have a basketball as my only friend.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
A proper wet shave from a decent barber is an absolute treat. The trouble is, you don't know who's decent until after the event. I had one on holiday once and ended up looking like I'd had a narrow escape from Sweeney Todd

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I've never had one, but I'm wondering if they're better when you have a bit of stubble, rather than a full-on beard to remove?

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I've never had one, but I'm wondering if they're better when you have a bit of stubble, rather than a full-on beard to remove?

Cut throat shaves are one of my highlights of going to Turkey. You are in for a treat where you live.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
I take it someone on here has had one?
But I'm guessing it's a holiday thing and not a routine local event.

Are they so much better than hacking away at your face with a Bic?

If so is there anywhere, preferably in the better half of Sussex but have face will travel, that still does a good shave? As my usual barbers doesn't and I've never seen it anywhere else.

After 6 months of pretty intense self loathing, which has seen my post count go through the roof. I now look like the bastard son of Worzel Gummage and Brian Blessed.
So if I could possibly muster up the self worth to do something about it, I might do it properly. But where?

Alternatively I might just see if I can match Tom Hanks, and have a basketball as my only friend.

I used to have one weekly when I lived in the Philippines, it is a great feeling,
first the face was swathed in hot towels for a few minutes to soften the skin and i guess hairs(?) then the face was shaved, several times to get all the stubble.

Finally after cold towels the after shave ( some menthol/alcohol ) was liberally slapped on ( try not to shout or cry if it stings)

All in all a very enjoyable event.....made Saturday mornings worthwhile..

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Cut throat shaves are one of my highlights of going to Turkey. You are in for a treat where you live.

Nicely edited :thumbsup:

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Wet shave turkish barber style is a great treat. Recommend Sharp Scissors in Kemptown, hot towels a good lather, various lotions rubbed on your face and a bit of an arm massage. They also trimmed my nose hair and eyebrows and burnt off my ear hair (all optional) - not sure whether thats part of a shave or a haircut though as I had both on my last visit.

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton
Headcase Barbers, just opened up a few months back. Great place, give you a cold bottle of beer and do really good haircuts and shaves.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Only ever on holiday (Turkey of course) - hot towels are the highlight - hot wax for nasal hair+ burn off ear hair. Come out feeling fresh as a daisy.
Well worth it

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
My local barber in Crystal Palace is turkish and he does a fantastic haircut and shave. Only problem is you never know when he's gonna be there. He seems to open when he feels like. And he moans all the way through it about his life. He also burns any hairs on your ear off with a piece of what looks like cotton wool which he sets alight with a blowtorch. Very disconcerting.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
With a few exceptions, there's little in this country that compares to Turkey or the Far East for a proper Barbers shop experience. In these places, it really is a craft they take great pride in. Proper wet shave, grooming, plus head & arm massage for ridiculously cheap prices. Having a flaming taper waved around under your eyes & ears can be worrying, but those guys know exactly what they're doing.

Compare to this country where *some* places charge £10 plus just to do a quick once over with the clippers.........

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Wet shave turkish barber style is a great treat. Recommend Sharp Scissors in Kemptown, hot towels a good lather, various lotions rubbed on your face and a bit of an arm massage. They also trimmed my nose hair and eyebrows and burnt off my ear hair (all optional) - not sure whether thats part of a shave or a haircut though as I had both on my last visit.

I'd also recommend Sharp Scissors. They do a lovely job and at a very good price. I get my barnet chopped and styled AND my scruffy face shaven, including eyebrows, ears and nose hairs trimmed, all for the princely sum of £10. Take their time too, so it really is good value. And when it's such a good job at such a good price I'm happy to hand over a couple of quid extra for the excellent service

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
Only ever on holiday (Turkey of course) - hot towels are the highlight - hot wax for nasal hair+ burn off ear hair. Come out feeling fresh as a daisy.
Well worth it

there is a parade of shops round the front of Worthing Railway Station, ( Near to the Tesco Express on the Corner ) . There you will find a Turkish Barbers. if in England I go there.

you get a sharp looking hair cut, hairwash, cut throat shave, hot towel, after shave ( More after shock ) and head massage. all for £16! really worth the trip.

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
I used to go once a month to a place in Bermondsey. Havent been for a while but its a great experience, especially if youve had a big weekend what with the towels getting the shite out of your pores. Used to cost £20.00 with a haircut. Must go again soon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here