Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Lactose free baby milk, mums and dads some advice maybe

0 Not allowed!
    Getting frustrated with Dr and health visitors etc..... They are so conflicting it's unreal.

My son 8 weeks is putting on weight like a good one but is not to clever also, the dr feel it could be his milk so we have now tried the formula they recommended even a low in lactose milk.

Now our Gp has said to try a lactose free but health visitors and midwives say no in baby boys due to a hormone soya contains, that is a female hormone and it could effect him in later life.

So we have a Dr going say lactose free and another health people saying different.

Have any parents had lactose issues with there babies, offer any advice.

Where going to try an organic milk for next few days but nothing else has worked so not holding my breath with this.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

0 Not allowed!
      My third daughter was lactose intolerant and screamed day and night and the health visitor told us to go on it and she changed to the perfect baby once on it! Wether or not it makes a difference if boy or girl i have no idea! Have you googled it to see if any advice comes up.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      My son after about 3m was still pretty grizzly even after the colic was easing which had probably been masking the issues a little - the GP prescribed the lactose free milk (Some sort of Aptimel but I forget the exact name, can look tonight if you like) Within a few days, he was much happier & content - weening now & still on that milk at some feeds but a really happy fella most of the time.

Not heard of this hormone soya at all & it was never mentioned by various health visitors etc to us, so I can't say anything definitive, as they are the experts & you are right, it does appear to sometimes be a lot more opinion that fact from various people, but based on our experience the changing of the milk worked a treat.

Hope that helps & good luck
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      I don't quite follw what you mean - are you saying that your baby is putting on weight too quickly?

I assume that you have a very good reason for not breastfeeding him - breast feeding naturally adjust the supply of milk too automatically cater for the bays needs, there putting on to much weight won't happen.

other than that the amount of regulation surrounding anything to do with nutritional care, especially in children, is staggering. If lactose free products are available then my own opinion would be that these products are safe to use.

0 Not allowed!
      His not putting on to much weight, my partner was advised to stop breastfeeding by dr, they say the hormone I think it's estrogren or how ever it's spelt is in soya and there advising against it, my son is miserable every single colic medication not worked they even put him on a lactulose to see if that helps no difference.

But dr said soya, midwife and health visitor say no
      Last edited by Falkor; 12-06-2012 at 12:11.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by goring dazza View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      My third daughter was lactose intolerant and screamed day and night and the health visitor told us to go on it and she changed to the perfect baby once on it! Wether or not it makes a difference if boy or girl i have no idea! Have you googled it to see if any advice comes up.
      We discovered our baby was lactose intolerant at 15 months old. Would have saved 9 months of colic I think if we had known, as well as my sanity. All I can say is lactose free milk is for WINNERS.

And to the OP I wouldn't worry too much about weight. My 15 month old is the size of a house (He weighs more than my 4 yr old) but now he has started to walk it is (finally) evening itself out. They don't turn into Suzanne Boyle at that age.
      Staring at the rude boys happypig's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      My lad is 15 now and as a baby he was lactose intolerant and was put on soya milk (Wysoy IIRC) on the doctor's recommendation. I think we even got it on prescription.

Personally I'd take the view that a doctor trumps a midwife and health visitor; the health visitor said "never mix breast and bottle" but mrs H was drunk dry at the end of the day by the greedy fecker and my sister in law said "try a bottle" so we did, he necked a full bottle of formula and slept for hours.

0 Not allowed!
      Both my son and daughter had soya baby milk (can't remember which one, it had a green lid ) because they were colicky after feeding and the soya proteins help sooth this somehow (something to do with how the proteins coagulate or something I think). They seemed happy with it - smells a bit though
      'with silence I'm becoming fragile, don't you understand. when things that once were beautiful are bland.'
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Falkor View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Getting frustrated with Dr and health visitors etc..... They are so conflicting it's unreal.

My son 8 weeks is putting on weight like a good one but is not to clever also, the dr feel it could be his milk so we have now tried the formula they recommended even a low in lactose milk.

Now our Gp has said to try a lactose free but health visitors and midwives say no in baby boys due to a hormone soya contains, that is a female hormone and it could effect him in later life.

So we have a Dr going say lactose free and another health people saying different.

Have any parents had lactose issues with there babies, offer any advice.

Where going to try an organic milk for next few days but nothing else has worked so not holding my breath with this.

the ONLY decent baby milk is the "organic Hollie infant baby milk 1 and 2" - cheap if got from german distributer. the rest are full of crap.
      A. Virgo, Football Genius

0 Not allowed!
      im not following what the problem is, he's not putting on enough weight? or isn't very alert ("not too bright?"). mine didnt put on much weight at first but is very active.

either way in Dr vs health vistors, the Dr always wins imo. the health vistors can get into fads, for instance their pathological devotion to breast milk only.
      The English know how to make the best of things. Their so-called muddling through is simply skill at dealing with the inevitable.