Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Squash - surely a long overdue addition to the Olympics?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It would be the pinnacle of a sport played around the world. New camera's and court technology means it is a great TV spectacle now, with courts being able to be set up in various environments such as Grand Central station in New York, or the recent British Open at the O2 (which I attended :) ).

Got to be a more worthy entry than the likes of golf where the medal is meaningless compared to winning a major.

Any other players on NSC!? ???

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Player - yes. Back to it very recently, after 20 years away.

Olympics - no. Wouldn't meet the criteria (applicable to NEW sports) of being played (seriously) in enough countries.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Player - yes. Back to it very recently, after 20 years away.

Olympics - no. Wouldn't meet the criteria (applicable to NEW sports) of being played (seriously) in enough countries.

Currently, top 20 world men players:
6 Englishman
6 Egyptians
2 Frenchman
1 Botswanian
1 Spaniard
1 Australian
1 German
1 Malaysian
1 Dutchman

Played in 185 countries, 5 different continental regions have produced both male and female world champions.

Already played as a medal tournament in the Commonwealth, Asian, Pan Am, Arab and World Games.

That's just the top 20 male players. Is that not enough serious countries!? ???

Anyway, hope the return to the game is going well for you!

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
I play not as much as i used to though. If squash did get added to the Olympics it would be nothing but good for the sport. definitely well overdue an addition to the Olympics and would hopefully encourage more people to take it up.

Cant see it happening though as it always seems to get overlooked.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I play not as much as i used to though. If squash did get added to the Olympics it would be nothing but good for the sport. definitely well overdue an addition to the Olympics and would hopefully encourage more people to take it up.

Cant see it happening though as it always seems to get overlooked.

Matthew Pinsent made a good case for it after he enjoyed watching the sport at the Commonwealth Games.

Unfortunately, I think inclusion to the Olympics has more to do with sponsorship and revenues that it does showcasing world sport. An olympic gold medal in squash would be the absolute pinnacle of the sport, there is no doubt about it.

I really hope they make it for 2020. Back the bid!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Currently, top 20 world men players:
6 Englishman
6 Egyptians
2 Frenchman
1 Botswanian
1 Spaniard
1 Australian
1 German
1 Malaysian
1 Dutchman

Played in 185 countries, 5 different continental regions have produced both male and female world champions.

Already played as a medal tournament in the Commonwealth, Asian, Pan Am, Arab and World Games.

That's just the top 20 male players. Is that not enough serious countries!? ???

Anyway, hope the return to the game is going well for you!

I'm not arguing with you, I agree. that is the reason that's been given for its non-inclusion previously.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I used to play a lot but gave up for a number of years and now getting back into it. I think it is a great game and good to watch, the British Open was very good. I personally think it is a very worthwhile entry into the Olympics, as Bold Seagull said, I think it would be the pinnacle of that sport.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Looks like Squash is set to miss out again.....to skateboarding.....:angry::angry:

I seriously dislike 'judging' events at the olympics. I like to see a winner who has crossed the line first, or got more points. Obviously Squash simply doesn't bring the money in, despite the current top players being from Egypt, France, England, Germany, Australia, South Africa, Hong Kong, Mexico and it having an increasing TV audience, both online and with sports channels.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Looks like Squash is set to miss out again.....to skateboarding.....:angry::angry:

I seriously dislike 'judging' events at the olympics. I like to see a winner who has crossed the line first, or got more points. Obviously Squash simply doesn't bring the money in, despite the current top players being from Egypt, France, England, Germany, Australia, South Africa, Hong Kong, Mexico and it having an increasing TV audience, both online and with sports channels.

I just don't get it. Squash is completely obviously more an "Olympic" sport than around a quarter of Olympic sports and still it isn't selected. It's bizarre.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Squash is a fantastic game; I play 3 or 4 times a week (in fact I have a league game later this evening). And yes, it absolutely SHOULD be in the Olympics.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Squash is a game for players not for spectators. It is extremely difficult to follow the ball at times and the lack of variety in the game will leave neutrals bored to tears. Endless banging of the ball against a wall with little or no chance of different camera angles or spectator shots leads to extremes of tedium.
It will garner little or no excitement with the IOC and although it is played widely, it is not watched widely and therefore will not generate the commercial streams that sponsors are looking for.
You either get squash totally ( you play it and are hooked on it ) or it leaves you cold and totally indifferent. Its not a viewing spectacle ( unlike some other sports ) that you can dip in and out of. In short, it lacks mass appeal and therefore has no chance at Olympic level.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Squash is a game for players not for spectators. It is extremely difficult to follow the ball at times and the lack of variety in the game will leave neutrals bored to tears. Endless banging of the ball against a wall with little or no chance of different camera angles or spectator shots leads to extremes of tedium.
It will garner little or no excitement with the IOC and although it is played widely, it is not watched widely and therefore will not generate the commercial streams that sponsors are looking for.
You either get squash totally ( you play it and are hooked on it ) or it leaves you cold and totally indifferent. Its not a viewing spectacle ( unlike some other sports ) that you can dip in and out of. In short, it lacks mass appeal and therefore has no chance at Olympic level.

I think this is an historic view and one which squash struggles to shake off. With the advent of SquashTV, and the skills a new generation of players have bought - especially the Egyptians, squash has become a completely engaging sport. The viewing figures at recent Commonwealth Games back this up, as did write ups by the likes of Matthew Pinsent who got absolutely wrapped up in it.

Coloured courts for contrast, white reflective balls that camera's pick up easily, camera positions at the rear of the courts that zoom in so you feel inside the court itself as well as other angles have all vastly improved the visual excitement. Rules have also changed over the years, players call far less lets and point a rally scoring means matches are usually around an hour long. Both Sky and BTSport have been covering squash in recent years with decent viewing figures, and in places like Egypt it is one of the top viewed sports. It is a truly global sport, 200 million people watch it at home across 88 different countries.

The shame is that squash is an ideal olympic sport. Fast, athletic, competitive, international, decided on a match winner not a judgement. However, perhaps it lacks trendiness, or marketability as it's not new or funky. To potentially have skateboarding as an olympic sport though is a complete joke. If BMX wasn't bad enough (and I love cycling!!!)...

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Squash is a fantastic game; I play 3 or 4 times a week (in fact I have a league game later this evening). And yes, it absolutely SHOULD be in the Olympics.

I think I'm right in saying Squash is still a fast growing game in the States, with more World Series tournaments than ever before, and big participation across their universities. Hope you won your league game, I've done okay this month, and should be going up! :thumbsup:

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I think this is an historic view and one which squash struggles to shake off. With the advent of SquashTV, and the skills a new generation of players have bought - especially the Egyptians, squash has become a completely engaging sport. The viewing figures at recent Commonwealth Games back this up, as did write ups by the likes of Matthew Pinsent who got absolutely wrapped up in it.

Coloured courts for contrast, white reflective balls that camera's pick up easily, camera positions at the rear of the courts that zoom in so you feel inside the court itself as well as other angles have all vastly improved the visual excitement. Rules have also changed over the years, players call far less lets and point a rally scoring means matches are usually around an hour long. Both Sky and BTSport have been covering squash in recent years with decent viewing figures, and in places like Egypt it is one of the top viewed sports. It is a truly global sport, 200 million people watch it at home across 88 different countries.

The shame is that squash is an ideal olympic sport. Fast, athletic, competitive, international, decided on a match winner not a judgement. However, perhaps it lacks trendiness, or marketability as it's not new or funky. To potentially have skateboarding as an olympic sport though is a complete joke. If BMX wasn't bad enough (and I love cycling!!!)...

Fair enough.
I accept that I have an historic view of squash and don't play it and don't follow it. Maybe I am a little out of touch but I meet a lot of people and very few talk about squash. It needs to do a lot more yet to raise its profile.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Whether a sport is spectator friendly or not is immaterial at the Olympics. In fact, the whole point is that the Olympics represent the peak for sports that don't have traction that money from spectators provides. No-one gives a toss about watching triathlon, dressage, shooting, sailing, judo EXCEPT at the Olympics when that sport is truly showcased. And then medals are at stake and the world watches with genuine interest in the knowledge that it'll all be over in 2 weeks time.

The sports that should be excluded from the Olympics are those where an Olympic medal won't be the peak achievement in that sport - football, tennis, baseball, golf etc. Squash really should be there with it's proven global reach.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Fair enough.
I accept that I have an historic view of squash and don't play it and don't follow it. Maybe I am a little out of touch but I meet a lot of people and very few talk about squash. It needs to do a lot more yet to raise its profile.

Check out the highlights from the 2014 world final where the world's two best players fought it out. Lots of drops, rallies, excitement, visual interest. I honestly think it would get a big following if it got on the Olympic stage.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
I played squash for years to a reasonable club standard and my son plays it to a very high level. I loved playing, but still find it boring to watch

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here