Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Financial restrictions at the Albion hampering the playing budget?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
As some of you will know, NSC obtained a set of the annual accounts which revealed the Albion lost £140,000 a week in the last season at 'The' Withdean

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?240689-The-Albion-LOST-%A3140-000-a-week-in-the-last-season-at-Withdean/page6&highlight=Albion+accounts

I appreciate I am a bit of a finance bore, but I have heard from more than one source that the Albion's accounts for the first year at Amex, in spite of the amazing season ticket and pie sales, have been very disappointing.

The reason for this is that expenditure has spiralled out of control, as budget holders assumed that Tony Bloom would write out a cheque to cover every spend and TB is VERY unhappy with what has happened.

As a consequence budgets have been slashed for 2012/13, with the exception of the infrastructure projects (increased stadium capacity and training facilities), and these budgetary constraints MAY have impacted upon the playing budget given to Gus, restricting the club's ability to offer competitive salaries to players, and we have lost out on the signings of Mattocks and others.

Alternatively I may have put two and two together to make five, which is something I regret to have seen too often marking exams this summer to date.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Seems unlikely to me, but I'm not an accountant.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
That would be a shame if true, I am hopeing you just are'nt any good at sums and your wrong lol

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Alternatively I may have put two and two together to make five, which is something I regret to have seen too often marking exams this summer to date.

No, you're entirely correct - I was told similar by a very good source - That the club have been losing relatively big numbers each week. haven't mentioned it as I couldn't be arsed with the flaming....

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
As some of you will know, NSC obtained a set of the annual accounts which revealed the Albion lost £140,000 a week in the last season at 'The' Withdean

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?240689-The-Albion-LOST-%A3140-000-a-week-in-the-last-season-at-Withdean/page6&highlight=Albion+accounts

I appreciate I am a bit of a finance bore, but I have heard from more than one source that the Albion's accounts for the first year at Amex, in spite of the amazing season ticket and pie sales, have been very disappointing.

The reason for this is that expenditure has spiralled out of control, as budget holders assumed that Tony Bloom would write out a cheque to cover every spend and TB is VERY unhappy with what has happened.

As a consequence budgets have been slashed for 2012/13, with the exception of the infrastructure projects (increased stadium capacity and training facilities), and these budgetary constraints MAY have impacted upon the playing budget given to Gus, restricting the club's ability to offer competitive salaries to players, and we have lost out on the signings of Mattocks and others.

Do you have any information to base that statement on (other than Withdean accounts)? I certainly hope that you are wrong. I would imagine that there were a lot of inefficiencies at first, as things take time to get up to speed. However, if we were not making good money after a few weeks, heads should roll.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Do you have any information to base that statement on (other than Withdean accounts)? I certainly hope that you are wrong. I would imagine that there were a lot of inefficiencies at first, as things take time to get up to speed. However, if we were not making good money after a few weeks, heads should roll.

Nothing concrete, and the club will not publish the 2011/12 accounts until next March/April. It was notable that they did not mention them on the official site this year, and the Argus did not pick up on them either.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The sooner the club becomes financially sustainable, the better, as far as I can see. It's good to see that most of our fans are being equally realistic and reasonable about this situtation - most on here seem merely disappointed at losing out on the signing of Joe Mattock (a player hardly anyone had even heard of before he arrived), as opposed to bleating about not being able to compete. Honestly, if Gus can persuade KooSchak and ViNcente to sign, I think I'd be quite happy.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
You'd think they would have regular monthly meetings with TB to review spending/budgets No?

D

Deleted member 22389

Its happening to every single club apart from Chelsea, Man City who's owners seem to have an endless supply of money.

To show you how crazy football has become, I read somewhere that Norwich turned over something like 9 million in season ticket sales but there wage bill last season was 21 million. You can't run clubs like this. The sooner players wage demands are bought in line the better it will be for everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Would explain the need for a new MD as ultimately the buck would stop with Ken Brown, although I find it hard to believe that TB and his financial mates who sit on the board would allow spending and budgets to get out of control in the first place - that's what lets the theory down.

Surely they're having weekly/monthly board meetings to discuss the figures, to do it all at the end of the year and then act pissed off when things didn't go your way is NOT the behaviour of a person worth £100s of millions.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
I'd take a lower a budget if it meant we were balancing the books.

Luckily we have one of the best up and coming managers out there who can spot talent.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide

all seems very odd. and implies a complete lack of financial control by club directors and a lack of ongoing oversight by TB, IF its true. i wonder if this is behind the recent changes of personnel at the top of the food chain?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

The conundrum is that cutting playing budgets would impact on team competitiveness.

Then the healthy income flows would be in jeopardy too.

I think it is too early to suspect that TB has reigned in front-line spending in already, but who knows ??

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
other than infrastructure and players, what other meaningful "budgets" are there? or rather, why would they become so large as to affect the general accounts significantly? so, excepting infrastructure, what you seem to suggest is that Gus (i presume the player budget holder) has overspent? if so, on what?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

They have a large and predictable income from the DDs; I'd be amazed if they messed up that badly.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
No, you're entirely correct - I was told similar by a very good source - That the club have been losing relatively big numbers each week. haven't mentioned it as I couldn't be arsed with the flaming....

This is why threads go to 60 pages... I heard from a source close to the club that they were astounded by how much revenue they had generated and that the money-making potential at the new stadium far exceeded their original forecasts. The club undoubtedly haemorrhaged cash at Withdean but banking 18,000 season ticket sales and all the ancillary revenue at The Amex (including two decent cup runs and a few televised appearances) had put the club in rude health despite start up costs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here