Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Photography thread

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
7348211848_39e8aa9779_z.jpg

One of mine from yesterday.

That's amazing. OK that makes me want to do more than take my ebay photos . What camera would you recommend to move up from my Sony cyber shot from Dixons?

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
That's amazing. OK that makes me want to do more than take my ebay photos . What camera would you recommend to move up from my Sony cyber shot from Dixons?

Thanks! Erm, any mid-range DSLR like Canon 600D, Nikon D90, Nikon D5100, etc will be a great first step. Initially it's about building up a lens collection so even an entry-level camera like a Canon 1100D would be good, as the lenses are compatible with practically any Canon DSLR! My second lens is on its way and I might order a third pretty soon. :)

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
This is a GREAT thread; very interesting to look at the sites people have found. Being a beginner myself, this started me off on what I hoped is the right track Photography Tips | Photography Tutorials | Geofflawrence.com - quite dry which I like, and explains things 'from the ground up'.

Having amassed a small collection of photos now, the next step is to tidy them up a bit, and I found Camera Bag 2 for the Mac/Windows is absolutely Brilliant. Photoshop's all well and good but the learning curve to get where you want is too steep for me just now.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
This is a GREAT thread; very interesting to look at the sites people have found. Being a beginner myself, this started me off on what I hoped is the right track Photography Tips | Photography Tutorials | Geofflawrence.com - quite dry which I like, and explains things 'from the ground up'.

Having amassed a small collection of photos now, the next step is to tidy them up a bit, and I found Camera Bag 2 for the Mac/Windows is absolutely Brilliant. Photoshop's all well and good but the learning curve to get where you want is too steep for me just now.

Have you got a Flickr account so we could see some of your work? :)

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I tried to open one recently but didn't understand how their share/albums things worked. So gave up.

I should have another go really because everytime I click on a photo I like, from someone's blog etc, the link is pretty much always to Flickr.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Has anyone ever done shots at the Cement Works in Shoreham, is it easy to get in or are there security guards?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Canon EOS 50D with standard "kit" lens - 17-85mm or whatever - which is rubbish.
Plus a Tamron 18 - 250mm which i bought for a trip to Nepal about 4 years ago (when I had a Canon EOS 300D, which is superb.
And a Canon 100 - 400mm zoom, which is very heavy but absolutely wonderful.

I first bought a Canon SLR in 1974 or 75, and graduated to digital in 2004. Had a hilarious conversation that year up a mountain in scotland with an old bloke who was carrying loads of camersa around, who maintained that digital would never tale over from proper film.........

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I made the mistake about 5 years ago of selling all my setup and moving to a super zoom compact. About a year or so ago I reverted back to a new digital SLR and am gradually building my kit back up. It worked out for the better as I was previously all Pentax but moving to Nikon I find the Nikon kit to be excellent.

Nikon D5000 with standard 18-55mm VR lens
Nikon 55-200 VR Lens
Nikon 35mm f1.8 prime
Nikon Speedlight SB-700 flash

I want to upgrade my telephoto lens but it was all I could afford at the time and to be fair for a low end lens it takes some bloody good shots.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I am a total amateur by the standards on this thread, but I like a dabble.

My cricket club, is my favourite subject matter.

Attachments

• small wide 2.JPG
    small wide 2.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 381
  • small wide.JPG
    small wide.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 380

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I am a novice with a Canon 600D plus an 18-55mm lens and a 70-200mm lens. Thinking of going to a local camera club to pick up tips etc. Need to set up flickr and get practising and uploading pics!

Edit: First tip I have already picked up on here, turn of auto mode!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
My current weapon of choice is the Sony NEX-5N, last gave it a good workout in Venice a couple of months ago. Have had a play with some of the shots I took there and created some nice subtle HDR style images.

7251145734_417726ef9b_z-1.jpg

7264366882_e1ef4a7326_z-1.jpg

In the second shot I've further edited it to get rid of the crane in the background, I am awaiting a nice big canvas print of the image now.

My flickr - Flickr: bharichie's Photostream

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Have you sold pictures to Microsoft or are you being ripped off? Some of the pictures on your website, seven sisters as an example, are background landscapes on Windows7! ???

Thanks for that.

I've just checked my agency/library sales online and nothing from seven sisters has sold recently. It does sometimes happen that they lift stuff off of websites, and then make some excuse that they tried to contact photographers to negotiate a fee.

Do you have a link or a screensaver image, so that I can see.

Cheers Birdie

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here