Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Photography thread

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Anyone know if there is much benefit of selling photos online these days? Is it a lot of work to set up?

Smirko

Aug 19, 2011
Brighton
Anyone know if there is much benefit of selling photos online these days? Is it a lot of work to set up?

Not tried it tbh, you can sell stuff on Flickr if you sigh up for Getty Images. Must be loads of sites to sell on, google search should sort it.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I am just getting into all this malarky and I have access to Photoshop Elements, CS6 and Lightroom and I am learning from scratch. Any advice on which software should I use? I don't want to start learning all different ones, would prefer to start with one and stick with it.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I am just getting into all this malarky and I have access to Photoshop Elements, CS6 and Lightroom and I am learning from scratch. Any advice on which software should I use? I don't want to start learning all different ones, would prefer to start with one and stick with it.

If you have serious/professional aspirations, learn Lightroom (for organising and some editing) and CS6 (advanced editing).

For simple/home stuff, Elements should be all you need.

Either way: If you pirate software, you go to hell. :)

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
If you have serious/professional aspirations, learn Lightroom (for organising and some editing) and CS6 (advanced editing).

Either way: If you pirate software, you go to hell. :)

Lol, It is not pirate software, honest :)

I am not heading for serious/pro and I am thinking that CS6 will suffice, if I do advance but Lightroom seems a step to far.

Thx

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I am just getting into all this malarky and I have access to Photoshop Elements, CS6 and Lightroom and I am learning from scratch. Any advice on which software should I use?

I haven't used elements for years, is it excellent for all your tagging needs? It offers pixel editing, but for photography, if I only had one, I'd rather have Lightroom.
I am not heading for serious/pro and I am thinking that CS6 will suffice, if I do advance but Lightroom seems a step to far.
What do you mean, CS6 will suffice? It's a monster and it's complicated/ Lightroom is a piece of cake and good for amateurs too.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Spent a bit of time down Dukes Mound on Saturday. (Waits for all sorts of witty comments!).
Loads of butterflies on the Verbena bonariensis (mauve flowers).
In order left to right;
Small Tortoiseshell.
Red Admiral (underside).
Red Admiral.
Comma.
Painted Lady. Just needed a Peacock for the set, but no luck.

Camera set up;
Nikon D80. Macro lens.

Attachments

• DSC_6366 ST Edit small.JPG
    DSC_6366 ST Edit small.JPG
    208.9 KB · Views: 125
  • DSC_6430 RA Edit small.JPG
    DSC_6430 RA Edit small.JPG
    263 KB · Views: 114
  • DSC_6439 RA Edit small.JPG
    DSC_6439 RA Edit small.JPG
    225.3 KB · Views: 108
  • DSC_6469 Comma Edit small.JPG
    DSC_6469 Comma Edit small.JPG
    240.7 KB · Views: 112
  • DSC_6507 PL Edit small.JPG
    DSC_6507 PL Edit small.JPG
    257.7 KB · Views: 109

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
In contrast to Jack Straw, I spent a while in my garden yesterday with my camera :lolol:

Here's some of the results:

Insectislides - a set on Flickr

Not for arachnophobes!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Selling Butterflies for Dosh !

Don't forget the expenses are tax deductable. Although the Inland Revenue might suggest it is just a hobby. I used to sell photographs up until about 2005. I still do occasionally, but it is more bother than it is worth now. Now I just do consultancy for projects. Do not give up the day job.

Last time I was out on a job, the cameraman had a camera that costs £2000+, Canon with highest pixel count, and he had moved on from Sigma lens to the Canon. I could most of the work on my naff bridge camera, but the A4 full page image might have been beyond it.

7564754848_87339783e1.jpg

PS: Butterflies are a good test subject for camera and lens. I have not seen a Painted Lady this year.

Last edited:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

CS6 and Lightroom are for different tasks. CS6 is a beast, so saying that it "will suffice" doesn't make sense.

The latest version of Elements features, er, elements of both (editing and organising, that is). I'd start with that, if I were you.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
A few random photos from me

Red Admiral on Agastache 'black adder'

022-14.jpg

Helenium 'moreheim beauty'

020-16.jpg

My 3 year old grandaughter Kiera who's learning fast !!!!!

Kierabook.jpg

My koi giving me a fingernail cleaning service !!!!

DSCF0011-1.jpg

My garden !!!

057_zps91cd75c5.jpg

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Your garden sure is lovely. It must take a lot of time to get it looking that good.
Just one point. Why are there a couple of large weeds just to the left of the sculpture on the path that leads to your front door?

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Your garden sure is lovely. It must take a lot of time to get it looking that good.
Just one point. Why are there a couple of large weeds just to the left of the sculpture on the path that leads to your front door?

Pah.....that was taken in July and the weeds were removed after my boss put me over his knee and gave me 6 of the best with a wet stick of rhubarb !!!!!

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Lightroom will do most stuff, if you shoot RAW. It's powerful and fairly simple, but I'd recommend reading a tutorial rather than jumping in blind!

Ok, when I said suffice, I didn't mean that CS6 is basic so it will fill my needs, I meant that I only know basic stuff and CS6 will do this plus lots more if I progress.

As it happens, I want to try out RAW and look at the difference, so change to light room then?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Pah.....that was taken in July and the weeds were removed after my boss put me over his knee and gave me 6 of the best with a wet stick of rhubarb !!!!!
He / She seems a harsh task master?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here