Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Photography thread

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Driving home this morning after dropping the Mrs at work, and had to stop at Rottingdean to snap the sunrise. It was only on my phone, but a stunning way to start the day.

IMG_20190823_082926_850.jpg

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Driving home this morning after dropping the Mrs at work, and had to stop at Rottingdean to snap the sunrise. It was only on my phone, but a stunning way to start the day.

View attachment 114617

Hope you don't mind. Just tried to make a lovely photo a little lovelier?

Attachments

• Rot Wind_1.jpg
    Rot Wind_1.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 211

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Attachments

• LTB NSC.JPG
    LTB NSC.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 178

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Did you get BG’s permission before posting a portrait of him on NSC?

Nice photo.

The seal's not mine, but the butterfly is. I don't know what BG looks like but I wouldn't mind being compared to a Long-tailed Blue for some weird reason!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
This thread seems a good place ask a question....

Mrs P and I are looking at a Kenyan safari holiday next year, and at the moment we rely solely on our phones for holiday snaps, but I think a proper camera would be much better on this type of holiday.

So bearing in mind I know bugger all about photography, and I don't want to spend an absolute fortune, what camera recommendations could anyone make? I'm thinking digital, with a decent quality zoom, and simple to operate.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Mrs P and I are looking at a Kenyan safari holiday next year, and at the moment we rely solely on our phones for holiday snaps, but I think a proper camera would be much better on this type of holiday.

So bearing in mind I know bugger all about photography, and I don't want to spend an absolute fortune, what camera recommendations could anyone make? I'm thinking digital, with a decent quality zoom, and simple to operate.

No expert, but I'm thinking if you 'know bugger all about photography' you'd be far better off sticking with your phone rather than fannying about with multiple camera settings you have no hope of mastering between now and then, thereby missing much of the experience of seeing that thing you've come all that way to see. Phone upgrade to one with a high spec camera would seem to me to be a far better option.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Just pick from one of these. https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/buying-guides/best-point-and-shoot-cameras
I use a little Panasonic for when I'm not doing serious photography and the results are pretty good. In fact, it is the camera I used for most of the Falmer Watch photos.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Just pick from one of these. https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/buying-guides/best-point-and-shoot-cameras
I use a little Panasonic for when I'm not doing serious photography and the results are pretty good. In fact, it is the camera I used for most of the Falmer Watch photos.

And go for one with a longer zoom. You'll regret it on safari if you're stuck with just a digital zoom (a digital zoom is like enlarging a photo on a computer screen, whereas the optical zoom takes a more detailed photo in the first place https://www.dummies.com/photography/digital-photography/the-difference-between-optical-zoom-and-digital-zoom-on-your-digital-camera/).

Also ones with a fast shooting rate (fps - frames per second) are good for wildlife, as you've more chance of getting one just right in focus (the drawback being you have more to delete as you could end up with hundreds of the same thing).

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Not the greatest photo in the world or subject matter, taken on my iPhone at my father in laws property on a side river to lake commerce in Michigan on Christmas Eve.

Attachments

• 61DF6097-43D0-4675-AE07-412956848B2A.jpeg
    61DF6097-43D0-4675-AE07-412956848B2A.jpeg
    218.8 KB · Views: 124

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here