Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hull City remove disabled price concessions.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
In the papers this morning, a disable Hull City fan is complaining that his season ticket has gone from a price of £140 to £440 for this coming season due to a new policy implemented from Hull City.

On Hull's website...

We have received some questions with regard to our pricing policy for disabled fans and would like to expand on the reasoning behind our decision.

No price increase is ever popular but our philosophy is that it is fair to all fans that we apply identical age and stand related price concessions to disabled and able bodied fans alike, and we hope that our wonderfully passionate disabled supporters will continue to support Hull City at the KC Stadium.

Our Season Card pricing structure remains very competitive within the npower Championship, and disabled fans who are entitled to the middle or highest level of disability living allowance (DLA) have the opportunity to apply for an additional Season Card for a personal assistant (usually a family member) which will be issued completely free of charge - effectively two passes at half price. This same policy is already in place at the KC Stadium with Rugby League team Hull F.C.

It is unfortunate but fair to say that the new price parity will mean that it will become more difficult for some of our disabled fans to follow the Tigers. However, the same has always applied to able bodied fans who might also have had to make hard financial decisions with regard to attending matches.

--------------------------------------------

Will League Clubs be watching this policy closely and introduce similar policy changes in the coming seasons?

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
Very touchy subject in my opinion, I know a few people confined to wheelchairs, who want to be treated as 'normal' people, so I can see hulls point in what they're doing

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Crikey.. I obviously wasn't aware of that! :blush:

Oh well, this thread is defunct!

Why is this thread defunct? You only consider it an outrage as long as BHAFC aren't doing the same thing?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Very touchy subject in my opinion, I know a few people confined to wheelchairs, who want to be treated as 'normal' people, so I can see hulls point in what they're doing

Good point. I was in two minds about it just reading the statement. They certainly couldn't be accused of being patronising, it was quite harsh. I think it's the degree of rise, maybe it should have been phased in over 2/3 years.

Hull have upset loads of fans for this season though, not just disabled supporters. They are one of the few (only?) clubs putting prices up, while everyone else is freezing or dropping them.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I'm sure most disabled fans would like to be treated the same as anyone else,so they should be charged the same,the club pay for extra facilities to help and it only right hull do this.

Yes touchy subject indeed but many disabled people work and earn well so should be treated the same:)

There are all sorts of issues about the extra costs / lower earnings incurred by people with disabilities and how these should be addressed - through the taxation system, through the benefits system, through more detailed individual assessments, etc.

But I don't think anyone is now arguing that the right way to deal with these issues is through differential pricing for commercial goods and services.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Why is this thread defunct? You only consider it an outrage as long as BHAFC aren't doing the same thing?

No, not at all. I wasn't aware that any club had made such a move and was genuinely wondering if other clubs including our own would watch and follow suit.

The fact that our own club had already moved on the policy I wasn't aware of.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
I'm sure most disabled fans would like to be treated the same as anyone else,so they should be charged the same,the club pay for extra facilities to help and it only right hull do this.

Yes touchy subject indeed but many disabled people work and earn well so should be treated the same:)

Exactly my point, they want to be treated normally, but wouldn't surprise me if some human rights group came out saying they can't earn as much as able bodied people!

But they then reintroduced them and have now withdrawn them again.
That only applied to wheelchair users, not disabled supporters generally, and was by way of recognising that the Club hadn't got the facilities right when the stadium opened. We are promised that things will be different when the stadium expansion has happened.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
No, not at all. I wasn't aware that any club had made such a move and was genuinely wondering if other clubs including our own would watch and follow suit.

The fact that our own club had already moved on the policy I wasn't aware of.

Thanks for clarifying :thumbsup:

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Exactly my point, they want to be treated normally, but wouldn't surprise me if some human rights group came out saying they can't earn as much as able bodied people!
Don't get me started on human rights:lolol:
At the end of the day the club is a business and you don't see shops or many others giving discounts for disabled people.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
On average, the earnings capacity of disabled people is very significantly lower than than able-bodied people.

It's a tricky one as I'm sure the club don't want to get into the territory of applying a means test on fans yet 'disability' is such a big umbrella term.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
As a disabled person myself, I feel I am qualified to comment on this. My stance is this.. If we as disabled people want equality, we cannot pick and choose in which way. I have no issue paying the same as anyone else. You cannot one minute say I am disabled it should be cheaper, then the next scream equality issues at anyone that will listen. As far as I am concerned, the club have consulted with the various authorities ie level playing field, Bods etc, and I think they have thought of most things. They also allow a free carer which is essential for people to able use the facilities on offer. All in all I have very much enjoyed the first season at the Amex, and can't wait for the next one. Something I couldn't really say at Withdean.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
On average, the earnings capacity of disabled people is very significantly lower than than able-bodied people.
Yes maybe but im sure many low earners would love a discount,the safest way is to treat everyone equal.We are building a great disabled area with great facilities and that needs to be paid for in the end.

Yes maybe but im sure many low earners would love a discount,the safest way is to treat everyone equal.We are building a great disabled area with great facilities and that needs to be paid for in the end.
I hope the disabled supporters' facilities eventually turn out to be as great as has been promised. In the first season, they weren't.

That's the reason the Football Foundation withheld its grant to the stadium project, until part way through the season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here