Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

**** Official middle-aged man's Craft Beer thread ****

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well, the craft beer revolution has definitely hit Brighton; two pubs already and another on the way. For the record I'm currently drinking a barrel-aged imperial 7.7 lager from Brewdog. What you drinking?

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Perhaps one has been a little presumptuous in the thread title? You do realise that not all of the younger chaps on here drink Fosters, Carlsberg and the like!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Perhaps one has been a little presumptuous in the thread title? You do realise that not all of the younger chaps on here drink Fosters, Carlsberg and the like!

The title is a little bit tongue-in-cheek, all are welcome.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
A drop of Madgewick gold from Hammerpot Brewery on the go at the moment, bought in a polypin because my folks are coming down :D

ManOnTheRun

Jul 7, 2003
West Hove
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338571235.211688.jpg Just about to pop one if these bad boys open.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Quite enjoying Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
sierra-nevada-pale-ale.jpg

But if you want something quite remarkable, try this
large_6236_Little-Creatures-Pale-Ale1.jpg

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
On the WJ King Five Generations straight from the brewery here, they have already sold out of the Jubilee Ale and didn't get to try it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This is a CRAFT BEER thread!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm feeling a bit touchy about the " Hand crafted " tag that has crept in recently, beer is brewed and has been for hundreds of years. Hand crafted infers that some sweaty labourer has toiled for days on end when in reality, yeast has done all the work.

It's like the ridiculous prefix "Sea " before Bass .... Harumph !

Now, don't get me wrong, I like a good beer but, can we drop the pretension ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Quite enjoying Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
sierra-nevada-pale-ale.jpg

But if you want something quite remarkable, try this
large_6236_Little-Creatures-Pale-Ale1.jpg

Im glad someone has bothered to read the title of this thread.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm feeling a bit touchy about the " Hand crafted " tag that has crept in recently, beer is brewed and has been for hundreds of years. Hand crafted infers that some sweaty labourer has toiled for days on end when in reality, yeast has done all the work.

It's like the ridiculous prefix "Sea " before Bass .... Harumph !

Now, don't get me wrong, I like a good beer but, can we drop the pretension ?

There is no pretension. In my opinion real ale and craft beer are two seperate things.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Well brewed ale is still well brewed ale, hand crafted is a pathetic attempt to make it sound a class above anything else. If it was brewed in a Tin bath in the front room of a car mechanics house twice a year, then yes, other than that its certainly brewed in an industrial brewery. End of

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well brewed ale is still well brewed ale, hand crafted is a pathetic attempt to make it sound a class above anything else. If it was brewed in a Tin bath in the front room of a car mechanics house twice a year, then yes, other than that its certainly brewed in an industrial brewery. End of

My aim was to start a thread celebrating US style craft beers. I'm thinking flavoursome pasteurised beers dispensed from a pressurised keg. These are different to real ale. And in turn different to lager. There's nothing pretentious about it in the slightest. The term craft beer differentiates it from real ale and lager-this is all.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
As well as Craft Beers in the States we now have a new breed of beers called 'Artisanal', cant see what the difference is apart from about $3 a 6 pack. Definitely getting a bit poncey.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
My aim was to start a thread celebrating US style craft beers. I'm thinking flavoursome pasteurised beers dispensed from a pressurised keg. These are different to real ale. And in turn different to lager. There's nothing pretentious about it in the slightest. The term craft beer differentiates it from real ale and lager-this is all.

You seem to be describing a slightly up-market Watney's Party Seven ? In the words of Peter Jones, ...." I'm out "

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You cynical bunch. I'm now starting on a Mikkeller/Brewdog quadruple dry-hopped collaboration called "I Hardcore You." Me, pretentious?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills