Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Minecraft...

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
So yesterday was National Geek Pride Day and being the geek that I am I put in a couple of hours on the geekiest of all games, Minecraft (Xbox) which got me wondering, are there any NSC'ers who immerse themselves in this strange phenomenon?

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
So yesterday was National Geek Pride Day and being the geek that I am I put in a couple of hours on the geekiest of all games, Minecraft (Xbox) which got me wondering, are there any NSC'ers who immerse themselves in this strange phenomenon?

i f***ing love Minecraft, much to the exasperation of almost all my friends and my better half. I play the PC version though, using creative mode to do stuff. I went through a spell a year ago where i did a huge city, which could have housed a couple of thousand actual players, with redbrick estates, skyscrapers bars clubs and i reckon about 1000 capacity stadium for Spleef.

I don't like objective based games, and i've never touched doing the quest in Minecraft, and it doesn't matter because of now Notch did it. But minecraft is the SHIT.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Minecraft is incredible, I devoted days to that game.
Since they've stopped developing it as much and the full game has been released I haven't played it anywhere near as much.
Still an absolute gaming masterpiece though.

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
Well it's good to know there are at least 3 of us! haha. It really is a great time waster and like you KneeOn I'm not one for objective type games. I'm totally new to Micecraft so it took me a little while to get my head around what it actually is. I have to admit I find it quite hard to explain to other people what it is, they kinda look at you as if you're some kind of deranged child.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
5. Built a wicke football stadium on my iPhone. I'd say about a 20,000 seater.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Only discovered it when it was released on Xbox but it is more addictive than Football Manager! Just discovered the 'Nether' and have kitted out my castle with glowstones and a wall of permanently on fire nether rock. :geek alert:

MrShaun15

Aug 28, 2010
I've played it for a couple years now!

love it - should set up a joint server on pc :)

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
What about an NSC server?

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
Only discovered it when it was released on Xbox but it is more addictive than Football Manager! Just discovered the 'Nether' and have kitted out my castle with glowstones and a wall of permanently on fire nether rock. :geek alert:

Oh I have just mined enough Obsidian to do just that!

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
*sigh*

Friends have been talking about playing this for ages, often missing for weeks as a result, and I have refused to get involved. This thread tipped me over the edge and now I have harvested somewhere in the region of 200 piles of dirt. Is that good? What do I do with the dirt?

Seriously, someone help me out because I have no idea what I am supposed to do. People are speaking of castles and I've just got dirt. A lot of it, mind you.

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
My son is addicted to this game, when he's not playing it he watches others play it on YouTube.
Incredibly slows my PC down which gets on my tits.

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
*sigh*

Friends have been talking about playing this for ages, often missing for weeks as a result, and I have refused to get involved. This thread tipped me over the edge and now I have harvested somewhere in the region of 200 piles of dirt. Is that good? What do I do with the dirt?

Seriously, someone help me out because I have no idea what I am supposed to do. People are speaking of castles and I've just got dirt. A lot of it, mind you.

James dear boy! I was exactly the same as you with this game just a couple of weeks ago. I built a few things, did a bit of mining then didn't really have a clue what else to do. So that's when I visited Minecraft Forum - News, Forums, Mods, and Texture Packs and read what other people were doing with this strange game. Basically it's all down to imagination, if you don't posses one of those then you're kinda screwed! Another good thing to do is check out a bunch of youtube vids as it will help kickstart some ideas for yourself. Get yourself a bunch of wood, make a crafting table from it and equip yourself with some tools. It's surprising how well each tool works for each specific job as I used to use anything to do some digging but using shovels for dirt/gravel/sand digging, axes for wood chopping and pickaxes for mining cobblestone etc. Go do some mining and stock up on iron, gold etc or try and find an elusive bunch of diamonds! There is a whole lot more to this game than first meets the eye. Everything within the game has some kind of purpose. Dig deep my son!!! (hope this helped or at least made some kinda sense!)

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
Yep, played the PC version on and off for a year or so. Grabbed the XBLA version on the day of release along with 3 other mates. Always played the PC version single player on my nightshifts at work (thanks to the web browser version on their site), but have been exclusively hosting a server for me and my mates to play on the Xbox. We've all made our own houses, underground rail network and ventured into the nether and built a cobblestone fortress. Mind you, it has tailed off a bit over the past week (Diablo 3 might hold some responsibility for that).

Put the dirt down and build yourself a nice little mud hut. With your hands, chop a piece of a tree down. Use that wood to make wooden planks. Use the wooden planks to make a crafting table. Use the wooden planks to make some sticks. Use the crafting table to turn the wooden planks and wooden sticks into a wooden axe, pickaxe and spade.

Then it's time to find some stone and repeat the process to make stone tools and a stone house. Find some coal to build some torches (with wooden sticks). You can go on to find different (iron, gold, diamond, redstone) to create different things.

The PC version is a bit trickier as you need to know how to build things (what order to place the 'ingredients') before they appear. The XBox version automatically tells you what you can make, based on what is in your inventory.

This tells you how to make the basics:
Crafting - Minecraft Wiki

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
Okay, I'm cottoning on very quickly, but am still struggling to find any coal. Is there a easy way to identify caches of the stuff?

The best way is to wander around the landscape and find some little crevices where you can climb down and quickly see for any patches of coal. Failing that, look for stone mountain areas where you might be able to see a spot of coal on the side of the cliff face. To easily get up and down to it, you can look straight down, jump and place dirt. Repeat this process to get very high very quickly, Then just dig your way back down with a spade.

jackcgull

Feb 1, 2008
Amersham
My son is addicted to this game, when he's not playing it he watches others play it on YouTube.
Incredibly slows my PC down which gets on my tits.

This is my world. Wondering where the Internet has gone only to realise my las is hosting a game and sucking it dry.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
The best way is to wander around the landscape and find some little crevices where you can climb down and quickly see for any patches of coal. Failing that, look for stone mountain areas where you might be able to see a spot of coal on the side of the cliff face. To easily get up and down to it, you can look straight down, jump and place dirt. Repeat this process to get very high very quickly, Then just dig your way back down with a spade.

I was searching all day, and being my first day still, didn't have any. In sheer panic, I dug myself straight down into a shaft when the monsters came out and found a flipping ton of the stuff. I've also got some iron and have found a couple of patches of gold. I assume I need better to tools to mine this?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here