Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Good mood

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
My contract here at work isn't being renewed in mid August. Bit of a bummer, that, in the current IT Contract market when I've got a kid on the way at the end of next month.

Funnily enough, one of the reasons it's not being renewed is because I spend too much time on here! Actually I think that's an excuse, since I've always got the work done. It's just that I don't get on with my egotisitical boss. Daft cow.

On the plus side, I'm going to get my arse into gear and become a software house as that is what I've always enjoyed doing. And I have a mate who works at Microsoft who this morning has promised to get me a copy of .Net Architect for £80. It retails on Amazon for £1995. Resultati!

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
your going to become a software house? I'm intrigued...explain...

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
i think he means software mouse

Mouse.jpg

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
CrabtreeBHA said:
your going to become a software house? I'm intrigued...explain...

Currently I'm an IT Contractor, which at the moment is a nightmare. New tax laws and a low-rate environment have contributed to reducing my income by 30% in the last few years. I've had 2 10% rate cuts, had to meet additional expenses to get round IR35 and will now be taxed more heavily when the IR start chasing married couples with one non-active partner in small businesses - it isn't worth it anymore.

However, I love programming and I'm a lot more sociable and apprachable than some of the gimps in IT. Therefore I'm going to try and drum up business for some more bespoke work and pay the bills that way. I already have 2 major clients but will need to increase this in order to pay my way. Getting .Net on the cheap makes me very happy because I'll need that. I am already competent with VB, Java and fancy getting into .Net.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
this is a tad self indulgent for you Simster??!!??

Also You can download .net off the net for free.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
dwayne said:
this is a tad self indulgent for you Simster??!!??

Also You can download .net off the net for free.

Yep, can't deny it as I'm in a good mood. But only you would fail to see the irony in the fact that it is you pulling me up for it.

And yes, you can download .net down for free except you won't get the proper IDE and you won't get the server side architecture which is what makes it so expensive. It's the same with Java - you can get it all free but if you want decent tools and enterprise beans, you have to pay 2 grand for it.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
nope not missing irony just noticing some double standards here. I've had it with I.T. if my next job doesn't work out I'm given Foxtons or something a go (and that is DESPERATE!!)

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Icy Gull said:
Having a positive attitude and a plan for the future when you're about to lose your job is self indulgent?

Sounds like sense to me.

no posting it on a football board is self indulgent (not saying there's anything wrong with that.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
dwayne said:
no posting it on a football board is self indulgent (not saying there's anything wrong with that.

I can't believe you posted that Dwayne:shootself

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Icy Gull said:
Having a positive attitude and a plan for the future when you're about to lose your job is self indulgent?

Sounds like sense to me.

Cheers. I know your game. When I'm the Sussex version of Microsoft and am sponsoring the games at Falmer, you're angling for a freebie. :smokin: And you never know...:blues:

Dwayne, of course, has pissed on his chips. :jester: :D

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Simster said:
Cheers. I know your game. When I'm the Sussex version of Microsoft and am sponsoring the games at Falmer, you're angling for a freebie. :smokin: And you never know...:blues:

Shit was it that obvious :(

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
If you think I'm going to turn up to see Simster larging it in a Withdean Portakabin, think again. A Falmer skybox, however, and we could be talking. That's if I was invited, of course...:smokin:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
If you can get two of you (dwayne maybe ?) you can sign up for MS Certified Partner which gives you all the licences you will ever need. It is fantastic value.

Good luck Simster. And good luck with the new baby ....

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Good stuff Simster - glad you've got your chin up and you're getting out of here..... I'll be joining you on the outside of this dastardly place very shortly (following another interview in Hove later this week) I hope...

btw probably good timing actually as all contractors here are going to be asked to take another cut very shortly - round three I think!!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
How's it going ?

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here