Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

single malt whiskey

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
the old man wants a nice bottle for his birthday so i thought i would ask the font of all knowledge that is nsc for some recommendations. i hate the stuff personally so havent got a clue. any ideas?

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
Talisker is a very nice, single malt whisky. It has a smoky flavour to it.

alexwright55

May 17, 2012
the old man wants a nice bottle for his birthday so i thought i would ask the font of all knowledge that is nsc for some recommendations. i hate the stuff personally so havent got a clue. any ideas?
Laphroig and Lagavullin are great, powerful, peaty and smoky malts.

If you're looking for something more aromatic and fruity try a Macallans 10 year old finished in sherry casks
If you want something light and quaffable go for a Dalwhinnie 15 year old.
You can pick both up for around £30

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
What does it mean by single malt? What is a multiple malt? Why is single malt better?

Serious question....

It's just how it's made, and from what. Single malt just means that it's made from water and malted barley. Blended just means it was made by blending the different whisky into one. Depends on your preference.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Laphroig and Lagavullin are great, powerful, peaty and smoky malts.

If you're looking for something more aromatic and fruity try a Macallans 10 year old finished in sherry casks
If you want something light and quaffable go for a Dalwhinnie 15 year old.
You can pick both up for around £30

Couldn't disagree with the above and would add that Glenkinchie is also a pretty light quaffable dram!
By the way whiskey with an E usually refers to Irish whiskey.........Scottish malts are spelt whisky.

omgitsjames

Nov 24, 2011
California
personally I find the peatyness of islays a bit too hit or miss when it comes matching someone's taste preferences of scotch. I originally didn't like Laphroaig but now its one of my favorites.

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
Not an expert but I've had Talisker and Highland Park and they were both very good. Someone at work said 'The Glenlivet' is not bad as well.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
As a gift, you won't go wrong with a bottle of Laphroaig or Lagavulin.

Can be a bit too powerful for some tastes, I would steer clear of these for a present.

Jura or Glenmorangie are cracking choices. :thumbsup:

May be worth checking if he has a preference for Scotch or Irish whiskies, as Bushmills is a solid choice if he prefers the Irish twang.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
What does it mean by single malt? What is a multiple malt? Why is single malt better?

Serious question....

single malt is crafted by a single distillery from a single water source, usually a spring in some highland glen.

blended is mass produced in a large city based distillery using water from the tap.

its like a Rolls vs Ford, barista coffee vs instant, Erdinger vs Stella.

Jura or Glenmorangie are cracking choices. :thumbsup:

Jura is definatly a softer, smoother taste, very nice. its all very nice.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
single malt is crafted by a single distillery from a single water source, usually a spring in some highland glen.

blended is mass produced in a large city based distillery using water from the tap.

its like a Rolls vs Ford, barista coffee vs instant, Erdinger vs Stella, Vicente v Dicker...

Jura is definatly a softer, smoother taste, very nice. its all very nice.
:thumbsup:

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
As a gift, you won't go wrong with a bottle of Laphroaig or Lagavulin.

Lord B you're joking, Lagavulin is bleugh.

Don't like single malts because there are just so many to choose from and they all taste very very different. Much prefer the reliable taste of a nice blended whiskey like Bailie, Nichol, Jarvie ( B N J ). bailie20nicol20jarvie20bnj.jpg

Having said all that, Talisker is very nice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here