Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone on here attempted the Monopoly Pub crawl or the Circle line pub crawl?

Dunk

Jul 27, 2011
Lewes
I've been on one. We took themed items (top hats, dice, etc) but we only went to a few pubs on the route- maybe 8. Quite a giggle and we saw at least 2 other stag groups doing the same thing so not exactly classy.

Going to 28 pubs is surely far too hectic.

I did hear that pubs in Mayfair asked to be removed from Stag-Do websites as they got fed up of large groups of utterly wasted lads turning up 15 minutes before closing!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Attempted but didn't complete Circle Line Crawl a few years back, oddly gave up as was completely pissed. Top tip don't start by having pints!

Jimmy Come Lately

Registered Loser
Oct 27, 2011
Hove
Yes. Over ten years ago, so my knowledge is a bit out of date, but the principles are probably the same.

I failed the Circle Line. Got so drunk that I bailed, so drunk that I didn't realise that I only had one pub/station left to do to finish it. My advice:
  1. Stick with the historic, original, circular route of the line, ignoring the recent merger with the Hammersmith & City Line. You don't need another eight pubs.
  2. Don't stick doggedly to using the Circle Line for transport. Many stops are quicker to walk between. If you plan it properly you will alternate between walking and using the tube.
  3. It's more challenging to complete at weekends because quite a lot of the pubs in the south-east corner only open on weekdays, because nobody lives there and at weekends nobody works there. (This could have changed in the last ten years, but I can't imagine why it would have.)

Monopoly worked brilliantly, but only because it was properly planned. My advice:
  1. Don't try to do it in board order. If you use public transport you won't be able to fit in all the travelling back and forth; if you use cabs it will cost a fortune. Pick a geographically sensible route instead.
  2. Just do the properties, not optional extras such as stations and utilities.
  3. Start at Old Kent Road and work inwards.

For either crawl:
  1. Planning really helps.
  2. Having someone along who isn't taking part in all of the drinking, who can remember the plan and cajole you into sticking to it, really helps.
  3. Half pints, not pints.
  4. It takes all day. Start as soon as the first pub opens, make sure that that's a pub that opens early, plan to finish about an hour before last orders at the last pub. (You may not need that hour as contingency but it's better to plan it in than to run out of time when something, inevitably, delays you.)

Good luck!

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
I helped to organise a Circle Line crawl as a sponsored fund-raiser in the mid 80s and to this day I'm amazed, and a little surprised, that no-one suffered a serious injury, or death, as a result.

On reflection, letting nearly 100 students loose on central London's transport system with a licence to booze - because it's all sponsored for charidee - wasn't the brightest of ideas. The deal was a pint in the Union bar to start, then a half in every pub around the line (28, from memory) and another pint back home to finish.

If you actually take the trains, it's a solid 7-hour slog (the bloke who won started running between the stations before he had reached halfway and did it in six).

I stayed off the beer and went round to help scrape up the non-stayers, and there were plenty of those. It was around Gloucester Road that it started to dawn on me that the 20 or so still going were a. so pissed they were a danger to themselves and others, and b. so pissed that the only thing keeping them going was the hope of completing the course.

It was just luck that no-one got killed. Three were arrested for trespassing on the lines at Great Portland Street. One of them apparently told the PC who hauled them off the tracks that they thought it was so late that all the trains had stopped (it was about 10pm). Another couldn't be doing with the putting-in-money part of getting fags from a cig machine, and put his hand through glass instead. He sliced several parts of his wrist wide open, and left a trail of blood a mile long, but managed to miss his artery.

Seemed like a good idea at the time tho. And it probably would now if I was 25 years younger.

I have done the both (Monopoly twice). I organised a trip round the monopoly pub crawl this time last year. I made it round both the first time round, although last year I was about 3 short on the monopoly crawl.

As [MENTION=22262]Jimmy Come Lately[/MENTION] mentioned, the Circle Line crawl it's difficult at weekends because some pubs tend to be closed. We ended up skipping a few and then stacking to make up for it at the next one.
Don't attempt to do the Circle Line crawl it when the Circle Line is closed (don't ask...)
For either, plan ahead. There are plenty of website which detail routes. For organising the Monopoly crawl Monopoly Pub Crawl was a great help.
Be prepared for the fact that later on, some of the pubs (particularly the more central ones) won't let you in. They'll come up with a myriad of reasons but it's basically because they know you've been on a pub crawl (they get people every weekend) and don't want you vomming on their premises. Have a back up pub (or alternatively a smart phone).
Hand out multiple copies of the routes - the chances of a big group (anything above about 5 people) staying together for the whole thing is negligible, so people need to know where they should be going.

It's great fun, very sociable and you tend to get chatting to other groups that are doing it at the same time (who you invariably see at a number of pubs across the day). Themed outfits are entertaining but do highlight you as a group on the pub crawl (which can be a problem later on when pubs won't let you in).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here