Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any one got any ways to stream Sky Go stuff from ipad to tv?

Cappers

Deano's right one
Jun 3, 2010
Hove
Won't allow it at all. Cant understand why Sky won't let you, because you... er.... pay to watch it?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
When you connect TV to iPad what happens?

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
I understand Sky say they havent developed that part of the app yet!!! More likely they don't want to as you could share your subscription. It also means their multi room subscriptions would drop

Everything else streams ok so its obviously blocked.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Sky stuff won't work, all about licenses. There are other wireless streamers, one called Roku, very similar to Apple Tv, perhaps without the constraints?

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
I can understand why they don't want you to do it - just wish they would be honest about it!

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Sky had locked that feature down in their app, because they were worried people who only watch Sky occasionally would see the app as better value than the subscription.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
App developers have to enable AirPlay if they want to allow mirroring to a TV. Sky, presumably, haven't done that for a reason known to them.

I'm not that familiar with Sky but it can't be the "people will use the app and not subscribe" thing, can it? Don't you have to be a Sky subscriber to be able to use the App?

(My brother-in-law kindly shared his SkyGo details with us which means we can watch Sky on our lounge TV as we have a Mac Mini connected to the TV as a media centre. We just go to Sky in a browser and go full screen.)

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Slightly off topic I know but is there any difference between a UK and US apple TV box, MY folks are off to the US shortly and I thought I might get them to pick one up out there just wondered if there was a specific PAL and NTSC version of apple TV. If not then I guess it should be fine.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Slightly off topic I know but is there any difference between a UK and US apple TV box, MY folks are off to the US shortly and I thought I might get them to pick one up out there just wondered if there was a specific PAL and NTSC version of apple TV. If not then I guess it should be fine.

Some folk here have US sourced AppleTVs and they work exactly the same as a UK one.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
App developers have to enable AirPlay if they want to allow mirroring to a TV. Sky, presumably, haven't done that for a reason known to them.

I'm not that familiar with Sky but it can't be the "people will use the app and not subscribe" thing, can it? Don't you have to be a Sky subscriber to be able to use the App?

(My brother-in-law kindly shared his SkyGo details with us which means we can watch Sky on our lounge TV as we have a Mac Mini connected to the TV as a media centre. We just go to Sky in a browser and go full screen.)

Actually Bozza that sounds the way to go. You are allowed to use up to 2 devices with Sky Go. I got the apple tv thing to watch my sky at another place I frequent thinking I could leave it set up there and just mirror it from Ipad but I suppose I can just hook up my mac book and use the Ipad to surf etc

Cappers

Deano's right one
Jun 3, 2010
Hove
Actually Bozza that sounds the way to go. You are allowed to use up to 2 devices with Sky Go. I got the apple tv thing to watch my sky at another place I frequent thinking I could leave it set up there and just mirror it from Ipad but I suppose I can just hook up my mac book and use the Ipad to surf etc

That should work. My MBPro works like this. i watch Seagulls player on the "big Screen" in my lounge. Bought a DV out lead to HDMI and plug my lappy into mo Sony 40". Bob Booker in glorous stereo and his beans on toast.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011

What Bozza said, plus the whole PAL/ NTSC isn't such an issue nowadays. You've got region-locks on DVD/ Blu-Ray players and games consoles, but presuming you're using an HDTV, the refresh rate and resolution (which are what most people use PAL/NTSC as shorthand for) won't vary depending on what region you're in: it's more likely to vary depending on the make and model of the telly, rather than where it was bought. You'll be fine.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here