Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Passport damage?

Brighton Boy

Nov 11, 2003
Lancing
I put my passport in the wash recently and wondered if a slightly damaged passport would be ok to travel with. The print on the front has worn of and on the laminate page the corners have separated from the paper a little bit.

Anyone who could advise whether this is acceptable?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
My isometric passport has been well washed in the washing machine, and still not had a problem using it...

Oct 25, 2003
mine is absolutely knackered (9 years old) and was fine when i recently went to sweden

the print on the front has been absent for a long time now, and has for the page with my photo on it....

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
I put my passport in the wash recently and wondered if a slightly damaged passport would be ok to travel with. The print on the front has worn of and on the laminate page the corners have separated from the paper a little bit.

You might have trouble if the picture page is damaged as they could view this as an attempt at faking the passport. I had to change mine after putting it through the wash.

Jan 30, 2008

no, i did the same thing last year :facepalm: that will be another 70 NOTES :lolol:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I suspect not - any damage to the lamination will cause you problems getting through immigration. If you absolutely had to chance it when travelling within the EU then maybe risk it because there is every chance no-one will look at it. You will however need to show it at UK Border on re-entering and they will warn you to replace it as "next time they won't let you back in the country" (yes it has happened to me :) ) but the USA, Australia, or far east for example would be almost a guaranteed "entry refused"

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
My passport was battered completely for the last couple of years, the picture on the front cover completely rubbed off, 3 corners splitting and although I got funny looks entering some countries no one questioned it and this includes entering Dubai,USA and many European countries.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
The significant page is the one with your photo on.... any splitting of the laminate from the paper there and it ceases to be a valid travel document because there is a chance (however slim) that the information or the photograph has been tampered with.

Other "cosmetic" damage to the cover, etc is insignificant when coming back to the UK, however, depending on the damage, it could be significant to the destination country. Anything which could indicate that a page has been removed, a visa or stamp tampered with or the bindings interfered with might mean the destination country refuse you.

Best not chance your arm if you are travelling anywhere where they don't like another country enough to have issues over their stamp being in your passport. Palestine/Israel, US/China, North Korea and... the rest of the world. etc etc

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
I was instructed to get a new passport when my old one was simply dog-eared, so I think yours will be invalid, too. Bastards would let me keep the old one either, full of stamps :(

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
It's not only the photo page which is relevant, there are things all over the passport designed to be un-copyable (eg. back page the line above "emergency contact name" is actually tiny text), if any part of these are damaged it can be rejected on the basis of tempering/possibly fake. You might be ok but for piece of mind I'd get a new one.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
stop being gay and travel.....it is only the number they need.

this nanny state has created lots of nannies.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Passport got washed about 5 years ago. the key page with the photo on is peeling away at the corners. The pages in the middle are a mess and the front badge has completely worn off.

Been on 15 + trips with it and never ever had a problem.

Would advise to get one of those passport wallets though as they have the badge on the front and gives off a different first impression.

Works for me

acrossthepond

Jan 30, 2006
Ruritania
As above:

Print on the cover disappearing - no problem.
Any de-lamination of the photo page risks the passport being rejected.
Torn out pages also potentially problematic, same outcome.
You've no way of checking if the isometric chip is ok.

It may get rejected, it may not, but do you want to risk it?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here