Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T - Employment Contracts

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Any legal eagles on here ?

My partner has a monthly rolling contract with her employer that has a weeks notice period for either party. She has in writing from her manager that her contract will continue until end of May. Today she has been given notice that they will terminate the contract on the 18th May.

Now the question - what overrides what ? The written confirmation of the contract being in place until the end of May or the new date ?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
I would have thought 'one week's notice' refers to the notice they give that they will not be re-newing the current contract.

But like the others, I'm no expert...

That was my thought but it would appear I might be in the minority thinking that way. Bugger is all I can say given the current job market !

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I have a similar "rolling" contract with my employer.

Every six months I get an extention (touch wood) saying that the contract expires on such and such a date but within the contract there is a one-month termination clause for either party.

This works exactly as people have described above. The contract will automatically end (and I'm out of work) on the final date *OR* one month after either side have given notice.

Sorry if this isn't what you wanted to hear. Her employers may have other obligations which derive from our wonderful legal system (ie depending on length of service), but the contract itself is pretty clear cut.

I have a similar "rolling" contract with my employer.

Every six months I get an extention (touch wood) saying that the contract expires on such and such a date but within the contract there is a one-month termination clause for either party.

This works exactly as people have described above. The contract will automatically end (and I'm out of work) on the final date *OR* one month after either side have given notice.

Sorry if this isn't what you wanted to hear. Her employers may have other obligations which derive from our wonderful legal system (ie depending on length of service), but the contract itself is pretty clear cut.

This is the correct interpretation.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I had a 6 month contract job a couple of years ago. verbally I was told it would have yearly extensions after that, but after 4 months of the first term, I was terminated (one months notice). They were moving the job to Copenhagen, and they did offer it to me (for the princely sum of £1k a day), but I declined.

In my experience the contract termination period is overriding of anything else.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Thanks for the replies - not good news but at least we know where we stand.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here