Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Inception - The Spinning Top - Final scene

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
What is your take on the final spinning top scene ?

My take is that after all , the reality he thought was true was infact still in a dreamstate below consciousness. He thought he had gone back to the real World when infact he was still in a dreamstate.

And then which state was reality ? Was it infact level 4 with his wife pleading with him to stay with her as that was the reality ?

The greatest film of the last 10 years for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hhavsmsi_5M

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
My personal view is that you're not meant to know what's happened, does it keep spinning, does it just start to topple as the screen goes black? Who knows?
I agree that it's the best film of the last 10 years, since Saving Private Ryan and Shawshank Redemption for me.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I

My take is that after all , the reality he thought was true was infact still in a dreamstate below consciousness. He thought he had gone back to the real World when infact he was still in a dreamstate.

And then which state was reality ? Was it infact level 4 with his wife pleading with him to stay with her as that was the reality ?

The greatest film of the last 10 years for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hhavsmsi_5M

can't disagree with any of that

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

No way, Nolan just wanted you to think like that as one last brainfuck.

Had the camera not run out of film you would've seen the totum drop for sure. If that is still the dream state it pretty much ruins what we thought happened for every other character in the film.

Class film though, I've seen it about 4 times and still get a buzz when they all wake up on the plane

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Nolan is the greatest director of the last 10 years in my book. Yes, ahead of Spielberg. Spielberg has only really done War Horse of any great note since Minority Report. Nolan has directed a host of great films in the last 10 years. For me , overall the only director that has bettered him in history is Spielberg. Inception is an absolute masterpiece there is no doubt about that.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
Nolan is the greatest director of the last 10 years in my book. Yes, ahead of Spielberg. Spielberg has only really done War Horse of any great note since Minority Report. Nolan has directed a host of great films in the last 10 years. For me , overall the only director that has bettered him in history is Spielberg. Inception is an absolute masterpiece there is no doubt about that.

Agree. The Dark Knight is also a fantastic film.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
It is reality. If I remember rightly the totem doesn't wobble like that at any point in the dream state, and also, while the kids are wearing similar outfits to his memories of them they aren't identical to those recollections

However, the fact that he doesn't wait to see is the main thing. He is where he wants to be - home, with his kids. If it's real, great. If it's not, doesn't matter to him any more

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
Apparently Inception was in the making for 10 years. Quite amazing how nothing was leaked

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

Also that part of the film was a flashback, it was Leo explaining to the girl why his projection of Moll was running round dreams being a dickhead.

The end of the film was 100% the actual reality.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It is reality. If I remember rightly the totem doesn't wobble like that at any point in the dream state, and also, while the kids are wearing similar outfits to his memories of them they aren't identical to those recollections

However, the fact that he doesn't wait to see is the main thing. He is where he wants to be - home, with his kids. If it's real, great. If it's not, doesn't matter to him any more

Surely it does matter though ?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Also that part of the film was a flashback, it was Leo explaining to the girl why his projection of Moll was running round dreams being a dickhead.

The end of the film was 100% the actual reality.

That's not the way I see it.

shaolinpunk

Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Oh, and I agree about Nolan. He has the directorial midas touch.

Both Batman films are fantastic, Inception is amazeballs and The Prestige is a phenomenal film

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It's a 9.1 for me. Certainly one of the 10 greatest films ever made imo.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
And Caprio once again delivers. He is one of the greatest actors of his generation. Pretty Boy, yes but a superb actor.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Oh, and I agree about Nolan. He has the directorial midas touch.

Both Batman films are fantastic, Inception is amazeballs and The Prestige is a phenomenal film

All awesome. Memento is also brilliant

And Caprio once again delivers. He is one of the greatest actors of his generation. Pretty Boy, yes but a superb actor.

You're not wrong uncle, the boy top class

shaolinpunk

Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Surely it does matter though ?

Not really. If he doesn't check the totem then he can either happily live out the rest of his life in the real world with his kids, or happily spend an eternity in a dream state with his kids. If the latter, would he know any better? After all, in a dream you never really remember how you got there...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here