Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Some help for 1983

irishpete

Apr 9, 2012
I'm currently writing an article about Brighton's Cup run in 1983. But, I'm struggling to find much information on the net for my research.

I wonder if anyone has the team line-up for either the Third Round game at home to Newcastle (1-1), or the Fourth Round win over Man City.

I can find the youtube clip of the City match, but it doesn't show the line-ups, so I'm hoping someone can help.

The article will eventually appear on footballspeak.com

If you want to check out my other articles on there then be my guest. Look for Pete Spencer.

I'm not a journalist, but just write for fun. Thanks

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Team v Newcaste: Moseley, Ramsey, Pearce, Grealish, Foster, Stevens, Case, Ward, Robinson, Ritchie, Stille.

Team v Man City; Moseley, Ramsey, Gatting, Grealish, Foster, Stevens, Case, Ritchie, Robinson, Smith, Smillie.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Here's a video of the 1983 FA Cup run. Not sure if you've seen it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HG7OOKII-U

Newcastle (h) 1-1
Moseley, Ramsey, Pearce, Grealish, Foster, Stevens, Case, Ward, Robinson, Ritchie, Stille. Sub not used: Smillie.

Manchester City (h) 4-0
Moseley, Ramsey, Gatting, Grealish, Foster, Stevens, Case, Ritchie, Robinson, Smith, Smillie. Sub not used: Ryan.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Blimey - we're all posting the same info at the same time. I hope Bozza doesn't ban us!

irishpete

Apr 9, 2012
Blimey! Thats fantastic, thanks for replying so quick. I really appreciate the help.

I remember the season very well, but mainly from my teams point of view. Was gutted Albion didn't win the cup, given who did!

One question, though. I started following football in the mid-70's and Peter Ward was always one of my favourites. The line-ups that have been posted, have him in midfield. Am I right in that he was loaned back to the club then from Forest? If so, did he play in a deeper role then? (sorry that's 2 questions)

Thanks again

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Ward always wore number 8 in his heyday as Albion's top scorer in the 1970s. When he came back on loan from Forest in 1982, he wore number 10 before switching back to number 8. He played in what looked like a left-wing position in the game against Liverpool at Anfield.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
That's great, haven't seen it before. Where did that come from?

Not sure. Someone posted the link on Twitter a few weeks ago. I hadn't seen it before then.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
The poster who put the team in a 4-4-2 formation has not really put the team as they played but just split the 1-11 down into that format.

Wardy was loaned back to us and was always a forward. he may have appeared to play a wider role at Anfield but that's just because we were under pressure alot so just having 2 forwards playing up the middle would have been pointless and Wardy would have had to roamed wide in order to get the ball.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Blimey! Thats fantastic, thanks for replying so quick. I really appreciate the help.

I remember the season very well, but mainly from my teams point of view. Was gutted Albion didn't win the cup, given who did!

One question, though. I started following football in the mid-70's and Peter Ward was always one of my favourites. The line-ups that have been posted, have him in midfield. Am I right in that he was loaned back to the club then from Forest? If so, did he play in a deeper role then? (sorry that's 2 questions)

Thanks again

Which is your team? :)

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
And for those who think the current Albion team are playing our best ever football...............dream on.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Wardy was loaned back to us and was always a forward. he may have appeared to play a wider role at Anfield but that's just because we were under pressure alot so just having 2 forwards playing up the middle would have been pointless and Wardy would have had to roamed wide in order to get the ball.

I was there and I don't even remember Ward playing for us at Anfield. Was he still here then? If he was my memory is *****d.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

irishpete

Apr 9, 2012
Thanks for all your help with my research.

I've not published the article. I can't post a link as I haven't got enough posts on here, but you can find it on footballspeak.com . Look for articles by Pete Spencer

It's part of a whole series I've been writing called 'A Moment in Time'.

No doubt many of you will probably correct me on some of the facts, but I hope I've managed to capture the right mood.

Any comments are appreciated

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
That was a most enjoyable read! Well done. It really takes something great to assemble such a piece focussing so much on a club different to the one you support. It is clear you have a love for the game at large. :thumbsup:

Some suggested amendments:
- in the 3rd Round text, you write of the first goal in the replay. Might that be more precisely phrased as the 'only' goal?
- in the semi-final text, it is suggested that Brighton played top flight teams up to the semi-final. However, Newcastle were not a top flight team, of course.
- the commentator was Peter Jones, not Ron Jones.
- it would be good to include Peter Ward in the squad. OK, he was not in the squad come Cup Final day, but neither was Andy Ritchie who had gone to Leeds by then.

Also, it would be nice to text link to some of the matches on YouTube. For example, I may be interested in seeing Burnley put Crystal Palace out of the cup, but may not bother unless you give the hyperlink within the text.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here