Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stiliyan Petrov - and what I'm going to do about it

Big Jim

Big Jim
Feb 19, 2007
Hi Chaps,
I heard the sad news about Stiliyan Petrov, and this brought home very much my personal situation where my little 3 year old boy has AML (a nasty form of Leukeamia) and is about to have a bone marrow transplant with 50:50 chance of survival.

With this I have decided to do a long bike ride around the island of Zealand in Denmark this Autumn in aid of Leukeamia and Lymphoma Research.

Leukeamia is a horrendous diesease and anything I can do to prevent future generations getting it is worth while imo. I've already had 2 members of my family pass away with blood cancers, so having my little boy with it is pretty horrible.

Please support me if you can: http://www.justgiving.com/williamlyne

Though you can equally donate by mobile phone text (SMS) i.e. Lyne55 £1/ £2/ £5/ £10 TO 70070 to donate. e.g. texting LYNE55 £2 - donates two pounds.

cheers
p.s. I hope the mods don't mind me doing this? sorry if it's against the forum rules.

Last edited:

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
No offence - but why has Petrov 'brought home' your personal situation?
I would have thought that was already very much brought home.

f***ing hell, leave it out. No need to be so picky.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
p.s. I hope the mods don't mind me doing this? sorry if it's against the forum rules.

We don't, and it isn't against the rules.

Good luck. You may end up with a very sore arse, (Insert Brighton based joke here), but it is clearly for a good cause.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
I know, rather than support this poster with his touching story and his admirable fund-raising exploits, let's instead pick on his choice of words when composing what must have been a rather difficult post to write. So he wanted to link his personal situation to something in the news and couldn't quite find the right words to express it, we all know what he meant.

Big Jim

Big Jim
Feb 19, 2007
No offence - but why has Petrov 'brought home' your personal situation?
I would have thought that was already very much brought home.

Yeah I suppose you're right, but sometimes seeing other people just being diagnosed brings the inital feelings of shock flooding back (as opposed the current feeling of just wanting to battle through it). Seeing the poor chap on the tele (with his family) and knowing what he's going to have to go through + knowing what his chances are, makes me feel really sad and more determined to beat this horrible disease. I've seen more than a few children die over the past year, so that's also brought it home.

Last edited:

Yeah I suppose you're right, but sometimes seeing other people just being diagnosed brings the inital feelings of shock flooding back (as opposed the current feeling of just wanting to battle through it). Seeing the poor chap on the tele (with his family) and knowing what he's going to have to go through + knowing what his chances are, makes me feel really sad and more determined to beat this horrible disease. I've seen more than a few children die over the past year, so that's also brought it home.

I see, well the best of luck for your youngster, that must be very much the issue for you - so all strength to him and the result of his marrow transplant. I may look into the marrow donation at some point too.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
I am really sorry to hear of your little uns plight Big Jim. Good luck with your fundraising, and I do hope your little chap gets well soon.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
Hi Chaps,
I heard the sad news about Stiliyan Petrov, and this brought home very much my personal situation where my little 3 year old boy has AML (a nasty form of Leukeamia) and is about to have a bone marrow transplant with 50:50 chance of survival.

With this I have decided to do a long bike ride around the island of Zealand in Denmark this Autumn in aid of Leukeamia and Lymphoma Research.

Leukeamia is a horrendous diesease and anything I can do to prevent future generations getting it is worth while imo. I've already had 2 members of my family pass away with blood cancers, so having my little boy with it is pretty horrible.

Please support me if you can: http://www.justgiving.com/williamlyne

cheers

Just chucked you a couple of quid, sorry it's not much but I already support other charity's. However as a parent myself I cant bear to see kids suffer, good luck to you all.

Big Jim

Big Jim
Feb 19, 2007
I see, well the best of luck for your youngster, that must be very much the issue for you - so all strength to him and the result of his marrow transplant. I may look into the marrow donation at some point too.

Thanks. :)

If you give blood, then it's just a case of filling in a quick bone marrow donor form next time you donate (and they take a little extra blood for tests). Just ask when you sign in. To give the bone marrow cells (stem cells) if you're ever asked to, I believe it's a case of going on a machine for a few hours, where they collect your stem cells and return other cells to you. But, once a child or adult has relapsed, having a bone marrow transplant is the only known cure. So, by doing this you would be selflessly giving someone the chance of life. WHat a great achievement in my opinion.

If you don't give blood, then you can find your next session on here http://blood.co.uk/ .

I used to be worried about giving blood, i.e. feeling feint/ dizzy, but imho I feel considerably worse waking up after a heavy night drinking than I ever have giving blood. My little boy would be dead now if people hadn't given up their time to do this.
It's a great gift.

Big Jim

Big Jim
Feb 19, 2007
Have you donated blood or marrow, or considered it, just out of interest?

Not sure if you mean me. But I've donated blood for about 6 years. as my son is 3, it was well before he was ill. I just saw the light one day.

You can only donate bone marrow if there's someone to donate it to. So far I haven't been asked. But I'm on the list and more than prepared to do it. As I say what an achievement to give the chance of life to another person whilst you are still alive.

Not sure if you mean me. But I've donated blood for about 6 years. as my son is 3, it was well before he was ill. I just saw the light one day.

You can only donate bone marrow if there's someone to donate it to. So far I haven't been asked. But I'm on the list and more than prepared to do it. As I say what an achievement to give the chance of life to another person whilst you are still alive.

I wasn't referring to you, 'guessed you'd be one of the first to do that.

Worth noting for anyone considering it or not....that it's not dangerous or generally dizzying, I never felt anything worse than any swift ding on the arm - worse part was pulling the little plaster off because I have such virile hairy arms.
PLUS; and it's a big one, your blood gets checked so they should alert you if you have any problems

Windels

Jan 15, 2011
Tunbridge Wells
Just chucked a fiver in, sorry it isn't more money, but I don't have too much at the moment. I hope everything works out.

Can someone please tell me a bit more about bone marrow donation. I give blood when I can already but don't know too much about bone marrow transplants. If someone could give me an outline of the donation process and a little bit of info about what circumstances someone might need one then that would be much appreciated.

Spiritualised

Jul 30, 2010
Anthony Nolan, have a look online, I dont post enough that it will let me add a link.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here