Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Game of thrones

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
My instinctive reaction was of frustration. It feels like they could have told the same story, but have it all mean so much more by taking more time to tell it. It's not like there wasn't scope for expanding - how do we get from the scene between Jon and Dany to the scene with Grey worm and the lords? So much could (should!) have been covered from that time period.

So, almost 8 years of 'is he really a targeryon? yes he is, the rightful heir to the throne!' and there's no explanation for why that doesn't come into play?

The Democracy moment and the history book moment felt like awkward winks to the audience watching at home.

There have been some gorgeous shots, and some great scenes, all ruined by their context, their set up or their pay off.

I suspect I will be more forgiving when I rewatch the series (as I'm sure to do at some point), just on first watch it's very much a 'what might have been!'

[tweet]1130436151448412161[/tweet]

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I'm looking forward to the first spin-off: Arya Goes West

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Well I loved it.

It paid off on every storyline, sure you might not have liked the pay off, but at least it had the balls to say: "there you go, that's it..."

No mystery, no clever words you can't defend... they've taken down the fayre.

Never cared for yesterday's,

Fancies in the air.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
I liked the bit where everybody laughed at Samwell when he suggested a people's vote

Yes, it's almost as if it's set in Britain.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
I fell asleep after the dragon flew off with Dani's body. When I woke up, they were all discussing her replacement, and Jon was nowhere to be seen. What did I miss?

BHA Haywards Heath

Jan 31, 2012
Enjoyed it mainly for its production. It just looks SO GREAT.

I have no issues with the story arcs they chose for the characters. Most peoples' issue seems to be with sudden character developments that don't fit with the character's arc, and I agree to an extent. For instance, the Targaryen girl suddenly going mad. I think it fits, it's just it was developed within 2 or 3 scenes each of which were so unsubtle, just bludgeoned home. It was all just crammed in when the original beauty of GoT was the time it took in developing intricate storylines.

I think it was a good finale if judged as a fantasy series, but having rewatched some of the episodes from earlier series and how bloody brilliant they were, it really does just feel like a completely different show.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"Dire"
"Garbage"
"Shitshow"
"Shite"
"Stunk the place out"
"Gutless"
"A steaming pile of turd"

Just some of the reviews from this thread. Crikey. Maybe I've been watching Citizen Khan or MBB's by mistake. Personally I thought its probably the most spectacular TV production I have ever seen. The acting was first class, the story enthralling, the special effects as good as anything you'd see in a big budget movie, the cast and characters genuinely memorable and superb. This was a high watermark in television and I'm going to miss it. In fact, I might just go back to the start again because I know there'll be shedloads I missed, as well as other stuff with the benefit of hindsight that I know I'll appreciate even more now.

At least all you miserablists grizzling about it, saying how shit it is and signing petitions can have your Monday nights back now, and watch Police! Car! Action! or something.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
"Dire"
"Garbage"
"Shitshow"
"Shite"
"Stunk the place out"
"Gutless"

Just some of the reviews from this thread. Crikey. Maybe I've been watching Citizen Khan or MBB's by mistake. Personally I thought its probably the most spectacular TV production I have ever seen. The acting was first class, the story enthralling, the special effects as good as anything you'd see in a big budget movie, the cast and characters genuinely memorable and superb. This was a high watermark in television and I'm going to miss it. In fact, I might just go back to the start again because I know there'll be shedloads I missed, as well as other stuff with the benefit of hindsight that I know I'll appreciate even more now.

At least all you miserablists grizzling about it, saying how shit it is and signing petitions can have your Monday nights back now, and watch Police! Car! Action! or something.

THIS.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
"Dire"
"Garbage"
"Shitshow"
"Shite"
"Stunk the place out"
"Gutless"

GOT set very high standards. The production and acting continued with those very high standards but alas the screenwriting did not. If you can't pick up on the difference in timing for the development of Danni's madness as opposed to the slow character development existent in previous series then I suppose that is a positive thing for you. But the sheer rapidity of change was out of keeping with what had gone before and that makes it, in many people's eyes, disappointing and less believable. I felt that the whole thing fell flat after Jon had killed Danni and the dragon had done his awesome best to breathe life into things.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Interesting that Bran didn't feature in the closing Stark montage sequence - just Sansa, Arya and Jon.

That 3-eyed raven is a wrong-un, and hopefully that will all be revealed in the 'Bloodmoon' prequel series which we should be getting next.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
GOT set very high standards. The production and acting continued with those very high standards but alas the screenwriting did not. If you can't pick up on the difference in timing for the development of Danni's madness as opposed to the slow character development existent in previous series then I suppose that is a positive thing for you. But the sheer rapidity of change was out of keeping with what had gone before and that makes it, in many people's eyes, disappointing and less believable. I felt that the whole thing fell flat after Jon had killed Danni and the dragon had done his awesome best to breathe life into things.

Varys was poisoning her - or at least he was trying to get the kitchen girl to poison her food - maybe he succeeded and the first stages of that brought on the psychosis.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
"Dire"
"Garbage"
"Shitshow"
"Shite"
"Stunk the place out"
"Gutless"

It clearly wasn't bad television, but was it (series 8, and maybe series 7) a bad adaptation and disappointing end to the series?

People have been watching this TV series since 2011, and have been reading the books since 1996 and have come to expect something made to certain standard and style.

This final series did not meet the style or standard, it's no surprise many people are disappointed.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
"Dire"
"Garbage"
"Shitshow"
"Shite"
"Stunk the place out"
"Gutless"

Mrs Badfish and I have watched series 1-6 at least 5 times though (started it again recently). Series 7 I have watched once and picked the odd episode to watch again as a refresher. Not sure how many times I will watch series 8 but I am certain I don't feel like I did after the other series.

1-6 was compelling viewing and rich enough to watch over and over. 7&8 not so much. Probably still the best thing in TV but also simultaneously really disappointing.

Much like the last couple of series of Police! Car! Action!

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
This

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
It clearly wasn't bad television, but was it (series 8, and maybe series 7) a bad adaptation and disappointing end to the series?

People have been watching this TV series since 2011, and have been reading the books since 1996 and have come to expect something made to certain standard and style.

This final series did not meet the style or standard, it's no surprise many people are disappointed.
That

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here