Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Game of thrones

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Saw "Game of Thrones - The Last Watch" tonight, a behind the scenes documentary of the last series.

Some interesting stuff - especially the amount of scenes performed in front of a green screen. Didn't realise so much of it was shot in Northern Ireland. The attention to detail was to be expected but some of the sets they constructed were very impressive, especially Kings Landing.

It did get a little bit OTT when they interviewed the cast just after the final wrap going on about how it had changed some of their lives forever - it's just a TV series guys, but still an interesting couple of hours and worth a watch

I've not watched all of it yet but the first table read through of the new series was interesting. The reactions when they found out about key parts of the series showed who had read the scripts prior to the table read and who hadn't.

As for changing lives I can understand what the cast are getting at, for a lot of them it's the first major hit show they've starred in and it will open lots of doors for their careers. They will also forever be their GOT characters in the same way Star Wars actors have a life long link to their characters.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Certainly was - respect to UK GOT fans staying up to 3.30am on a Monday to watch it.

Who got their predictions right about who would get bumped off?
Now that I've watched the whole series, I'm reading through this thread. It looks like no one predicted Ayra would kill the Knight King, which surprises me. I mean, Ayra would sit right at the top of the list of people you wouldn't want to piss off.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I agree, I think it was a poor episode in a poor series so far. The White Walkers were introduced as the bad guys right at the start of the first episode, killing them off now seems like such an anticlimax. It seems bizarre that defeating them isn't the climax of the series. Its like if in the original Star Wars trilogy they'd killed off Darth Vader and the Emperor in "The Empire Strikes Back" and then just squabbled for a bit in "Return of the Jedi". It was also such a weak way to kill off the Night King. They built him up as terrifying, can't be killed, burning him with dragon didn't work, he's an unstoppable force bent on destroying the world, "What's that? Arya stabbed him, oh ok."
I agree with this. But then I also agree with this:

How else was he going to die ? He had to die for the story to move on. We always knew they had a weakness to fire and dragon glass … fire did not effect him in the end it seems...so dragon glass was the only way. And who else but the trained assassin..
I get that maybe it didn't satisfy you, it certainly did me, just interested in how else you think it could have been done ?

The White walkers had to go before the end... although a major part of the story the main characters still have plenty to sort out before the end... that could not be done until the White walkers were out of the way.
Yes they had to die, but I guess it would have been nice to see some of the white walkers being badass. One main character saving another from the dead, followed by being sliced in half down the middle by a white walker would have been fitting. In the whole battle, the white walkers (save the Might King killing Theon) didn't kill a single person did they?

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014

Yes they had to die, but I guess it would have been nice to see some of the white walkers being badass. One main character saving another from the dead, followed by being sliced in half down the middle by a white walker would have been fitting. In the whole battle, the white walkers (save the Might King killing Theon) didn't kill a single person did they?

I can live with the way the Night king was killed, because I think the rushed th series and if it had been longer I think they would have built his death up more. But killing off the whitewalkers so early on was just bad writing. Its structurally flawed to kill off the main baddies so early because it creates an anti climax. In fact it left a void that they had to try and fill with something big, which came in the form of Daenerys going mental out of nowhere. The story was literally falling apart at the seams by the end. They could easily have rejigged it so that they could have dealt with Kings Landing first and had the battle of Winterfell as the climax. I'm almost certain it would have led to a much more satisfying ending.

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley

They killed plenty - there was a mass funeral the following day

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I can live with the way the Night king was killed, because I think the rushed th series and if it had been longer I think they would have built his death up more. But killing off the whitewalkers so early on was just bad writing. Its structurally flawed to kill off the main baddies so early because it creates an anti climax. In fact it left a void that they had to try and fill with something big, which came in the form of Daenerys going mental out of nowhere. The story was literally falling apart at the seams by the end. They could easily have rejigged it so that they could have dealt with Kings Landing first and had the battle of Winterfell as the climax. I'm almost certain it would have led to a much more satisfying ending.

There was no need to rush any of it. They had a rich and absorbing story woven with interesting threads of plot, lore and theory. They chose to sacrifice all of this for a quick finish.

Why?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
There was no need to rush any of it. They had a rich and absorbing story woven with interesting threads of plot, lore and theory. They chose to sacrifice all of this for a quick finish.

Why?

Rumours abound that D&D wanted to get it finished so they could move on to their Star Wars project.

Seem to recall reading somewhere that GoT was meant to be 10 seasons with S8 being all about the White Walkers / Night King, S9 being about the aftermath and what to do about Cersei with S10 being about Daenerys. Her eventual turn to madness would have been developed over the three seasons so it felt like an actual bit of character development.

Question is why the chuff didn't D&D hand the reigns over to someone else so that they could Star Wars and GoT stood a chance of having a well written, well paced and satisfying conclusion.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
A dragon, in s7
They killed others in earlier series, I was talking about the main battle, S8,E3.

There were thousands of dead, and they killed thousands of men. But the white walkers themselves did **** all.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think Jaime will refuse to kill his sister, Arya will kill him to take his face and get close to Cersei so she can do the deed.
That would have been better.

Towards the end of the battle with the dead, Brienne of Tarth should have been losing a battle against the mounting numbers of dead, for Jamie to step in and save her at the last minute. Then, as he reached out to her hand to lift her back up, he should have been sliced in half (vertically, from the shoulder) by a white walker. Brienne would have then killed the walker.

The camera could have shown that Ayra saw this, so then when we saw Jamie head south, we'd have know who it really was. Ayra could have got Cersei all hot and excitedly ready for a good shag, before sticking the knife in and taking his face off.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
They killed others in earlier series, I was talking about the main battle, S8,E3.

There were thousands of dead, and they killed thousands of men. But the white walkers themselves did **** all.

Maybe i'm wrong on this, but i kind of viewed the white walkers as generals marshalling the troops? They didn't need to get their hands dirty (metaphorically speaking)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Maybe i'm wrong on this, but i kind of viewed the white walkers as generals marshalling the troops? They didn't need to get their hands dirty (metaphorically speaking)
Yeah maybe that's fair. But when we saw them fighting Gilly and her family some series back, weren't the white walkers doing the fighting back then? And in the battle, we didn't actually see them being generals did we? The knight king flew about on his dragon, but then all the white walkers were just standing there at the end to watch their boss get owned.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Yeah maybe that's fair. But when we saw them fighting Gilly and her family some series back, weren't the white walkers doing the fighting back then? And in the battle, we didn't actually see them being generals did we? The knight king flew about on his dragon, but then all the white walkers were just standing there at the end to watch their boss get owned.

yes, but seeming as (up to that final point when Arya jumps out) the dead were well on top, they were not expecting what happened to take place. Once it did, they all fell to pieces. There was plenty wrong with the final series for sure, but for me that's not one of the issues.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here