Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I owe npower £ 152 000. Apparently.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I have had a dispute for npower for about a year. They keep sending me estimated readings with ridiculous amounts owing and ignore the actual readings. This culminated on Xmas Eve, yes Xmas Eve when I got a letter demanding over £ 2000 or they were threatening to cut me off.

I had, I thought resolved the matter when they accepted the correct readings and apologised and even bunged me £ 50 back off my bill.

NO, today I have got a letter demanding £ 9535 for Gas and £ 142480 for electricity ! As I live without central heating and use a minimal amount of electricity you have to laugh. I am not running a nuclear power station here !

Is this worth sending to the press do you think as I have had enough now ?

All joking aside it is very stressful and they do not reply to correspondence and keep sending out these letters and sending meter reading men around weekly.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Its been a battle for a year. £ 2000 was bad enough but £ 152000 ! I am at my wits end as whatever I do is ignored.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Might make the Metro or perhaps try Watchdog ?

watsongooal

Jul 7, 2003
Chislehurst
I have had a dispute for npower for about a year. They keep sending me estimated readings with ridiculous amounts owing and ignore the actual readings. This culminated on Xmas Eve, yes Xmas Eve when I got a letter demanding over £ 2000 or they were threatening to cut me off.

I had, I thought resolved the matter when they accepted the correct readings and apologised and even bunged me £ 50 back off my bill.

NO, today I have got a letter demanding £ 9535 for Gas and £ 142480 for electricity ! As I live without central heating and use a minimal amount of electricity you have to laugh. I am not running a nuclear power station here !

All joking aside it is very stressful and they do not reply to correspondence and keep sending out these letters and sending meter reading men around weekly.

Without being nosey how do you heat your house without CH?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I am happy to provide a copy of the bill.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

CBR84

Feb 19, 2012

Send it to the Daily Mail they'd love it.

And then tell NPower to f*** off!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I've come to the conclusion that Npower try and screw money out of every single one of their customers. I have my annual battle with them when they try and increase my monthly direct debit by "estimating" my usage, their idea of an estimate appears to be to take your previous year's usage and times it by 5 (when it's a mild winter, I imagine this goes up when it's cold).

Your case does appear to be a bit more extreme though and you should at least make an official complaint.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Anne Robinson would be all over that shit. Telly Npower you're going to do it as well as they might like to sweeten you up with some discounts (on your proper bill!) than have it shown on telly/in papers

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
I got a letter from E-ON for £300 electric and £160 gas i rang them up and asked how this was possible as i was on a pay as you use meter they looked said sorry never heard again, i swear they make things up sometimes

In a previous job I ran the media & MP complaints section for the customer relations dept at a major utility supplier.

Raise a complaint with Energywatch. The plus side of this is that a hold will be applied to the account whilst the dispute is dealt with. In theory they could get in trouble if they send anymore threatening letters during that period.

If you are disatisfied by the resolution you can then escalate to Ofgem; who have proper bum kicking powers.

Estinmated bills have always caused problems. Issues often arise when there has been an incorrect reading used when a change of supllier has taken place; which means the supplier will then ignore all actual readings as they do not fit in with the original reading which they believe to be true. The other issue which sometimes arises is a crossed meters situation; whereby the incorrect meter details (normally of another flat or property next door) is allocated to your address. This can lead to actual meter readings of the correct meter causing massive bills as the wrong meter was read previously.

Alternatively could simply be incompetence on their part.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
US - have you got a secret cannabis nursery in your loft of something? They can be very greedy on the electricity.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Have you got a betting account with them?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Do you leave your TV on standby - it all mounts up you know, £1, £2 then before you know it .... £150k.

That's a good point, I also heard that every time you boil a kettle it costs £12k.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
If anyone has any media contacts or wants this " scoop " I would be happy to assist. I reckon its is a good story.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here