Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Panic at the Pumps.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
We just need to make sure that the public realise how much the tanker drivers already earn.

The drivers own union rep was on BBC news trying to drum up support for his comrades. What he really should not of said was that the drivers are paid AN AVERAGE of 45K per year, equivalent to 900 pounds per week!

These drivers have a responsible job with stringent safety regulations, but it ain't rocket science. Drive to garage, attach hoses, start pump, stop pump, remove hoses, return to base.

If the drivers feel underpaid then they should look for new jobs, not hold the rest of us to ransom.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I felt the country was a better place during the last fuel blockade. The roads were much quieter and folk seemed a lot more relaxed having not been getting stressed in their cars all day. Maybe a few days of chilling is what we need? And who likes driving anyway?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
"Fuel tanker drivers have voted in favour of taking strike action in a row over terms and conditions and safety, the Unite union has said."

BBC News - Fuel strike drivers vote yes in row over conditions

"terms and conditions" is union speak for pay, hours and holiday, they are looking to increase pay/holiday, decrease hours or all. Safety is a ruse to throw in there and deflect from the fact they are looking for a better pay/holiday, in this day of health and safety rules the companies cant miss anything for fear of the H&S inspectorate and a big fine. if it were the RMT they'd throw in "passenger safety" too, to look like its for us not them. i also recall from article yesturday that less than a third of the drivers voted.

if its so hard, im sure there are a few thousand lorry drivers willing to retrain and take up their harsh job for £45k

D

Deleted member 22389

I felt the country was a better place during the last fuel blockade. The roads were much quieter and folk seemed a lot more relaxed having not been getting stressed in their cars all day. Maybe a few days of chilling is what we need? And who likes driving anyway?

If I am honest with you I hate driving these days. It's expensive. Everytime you get in the car, its a mission. The way people drive just winds me up. This is why I love pedal power. You dictate the speed and you don't get held up. You also get some exercise in the process and arrive less stressed. Take for example the new tesco that just opened. People just park up on the grass verges, block the road, because they can't be bothered to use the big free car park over the road and walk less then 50 metres with their shopping.

Last edited by a moderator:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

I love driving. It'd be better if those that didn't kept off the roads though.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
The bloody unions will cripple/bankrupt this country.

And where is the Labour Party with their supposed policy of being for the 'working man'....you are so right with this...we have not learnt from the 70s....in my line of work (Conveyor fitter/welder/installer) I could'nt get a job unless I joined the union...(blackmail) and then you had to work according to the union...I got told to slow down as they wanted to make the job last....little puddles of water...wet conditions....everybody out!
I was glad to go out on the oil rigs where unions WERE banned,now they were Wet conditions....good pay...hard graft.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God

Really? There were loads of fights at petrol stations and widespread panic!

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Train up some polish drivers on the half the wages ans we all get cheaper fuel as as a result simples.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If I am honest with you I hate driving these days. It's expensive. Everytime you get in the car, its a mission. The way people drive just winds me up. This is why I love pedal power. You dictate the speed and you don't get held up. You also get some exercise in the process and arrive less stressed. Take for example the new tesco that just opened. People just park up on the grass verges, block the road, because they can't be bothered to use the big free car park over the road and walk less then 50 metres with their shopping.

I'm with you brother.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here