Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Exclusion of a fan following incident at Brighton v Crystal Palace 27/09/11 [Merged]

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
interesting document.

fascinating that the ONLY person who "saw" any physical contact was the off duty plod,whose evidence suggests there was a mini riot going on.

EVERYONE else just says there was some handbags...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Commendably thorough investigation, but then again it sounds like it needed to be. Opening statement of the Conclusion, er, states:

'34. This is by far the most complex case which the IFO has investigated. In similar cases of ejections or bans, the IFO (and its predecessor the IFC) has been confronted with a dearth of evidence, beyond the conflicting accounts of the disputing parties. In this case there is a wealth of independent testimony, but it is equally confusing.'

Still, sounds like justice has been done in the end. Nice one!

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I'll need to read that two or three times ha ha but it does seem as if some lies were told.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Dare I say it if people lied then perhaps their season ticket should be withdrawn instead ?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
At least he'll be able to watch the rest of our promotion run :)

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
f king grassing ex old bill getting involved screwed a lot up , then we have the ex old bill at our club who it appears was awful in communication and combined with a lying steward who I hope has been sent packing.

Feel for the bloke.

Could happen to any one of us

rool

Jul 10, 2003
'The steward had taken him to the stand steward at the top of the concourse. There the young steward changed what he had previously said and claimed that the complainant had assaulted the Palace fan.'

What about if the staff lie Beach Hut?

huge

Mar 23, 2011
I think too much credence is given to "off duty policemen's" statement. I was a witness at a fight outside a night club. the police responded very poorly. pepper sprayed an innocent by stander and it took 15 bobbys to sort out 3 guys, who quite frankly the 2 doorman had been handling pretty well until the old bill turned up. In fact one of the doorman offered to wade in and sort it out at one point because they were doing such a bad job. I was asked to give a statement and reluctantly did.

Then, get this, one of the bobbys who wasn't interviewing me came in to the office and asked if they could borrow my statement because they couldn't remember what had happened in the fight/arrest!! the statement was photocopied and taken away. Now that means that what i said was taken by a law enforcement officer and used to construct a statement against someone (all be it a drunk dickhead) as if it was the the policemens own version of events.

I've had other not very good experiences with the old bill in recent years and it's really changed my opinion of the thin blue line and not for the good.

I certainly would never give a witness statement again unless it was a very serious incident.

Last edited:

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Off duty policeman, hmmmm

'The home fan leaned over the back of the front row and attempted to punch the away fan, shouting abuse at him. He then poked the Palace fan in the face, applying constant pressure, which caused the fan to lean back against the front wall. The policeman put himself between the parties, and deflected a punch by the home fan.'

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
Thrilled that the bloke has finally been allowed back in, just a shame that reading that, it seems we have some complete and utter ***** running our football club. Their lack of communication is an absolute shambles and something that really is a big concern. The man has been a season ticket holder for nearly 3 decades, and yet it seems that they couldn't care less whether he attended a BHAFC match again. Can't help but feel an element of context needs to be involved here.

Further to that, the conclusions in which a case compared to the one in question shows a Leicester fan given a four match ban for common assault on a steward, and re-entry on the signing of an Acceptable Behaviour Order, surely shows how quickly and easily the situation could have been dealt with. It's an absolute embarrassment on behalf of the club, they really should be ashamed that they've let it drag out this long, depriving the bloke of experiencing what a wonderful season we're having.

I find it inconceivable that they can't see any record of the bloke not being able to use his card, especially when they sent him two new cards, surely therefore acknowledging that his was de-activated or blocked? Once again an almighty f*** up and one that there should be accountability for.

I hope a full apology has been sent to the man for absolutely everything that the club has put him through in the last 6 months.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
So what happens to the lying off-duty cop? Shouldn't he be banned?
Are away fans still allowed in the 1901 area? Anyway, we won't have to worry about Palace fans being in there next year if we are in a different division!:clap:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
All seems very odd. Why on earth would the off duty police officer, if he is indeed a Brighton fan, make up the assault?

rool

Jul 10, 2003
If you had been lied about, almost lost your job and banned from the ground without any financial compensation (as far as we know), would you sue the club you loved?

rool

Jul 10, 2003
'According to the complainant, the Head of Operations said that he had not made previous contact because the police had contacted him to conduct a formal investigation. He could not disclose any information. '

'The complainant then telephoned Sussex police who could find no record of an investigation.'

Another bit of economy of the truth? This time from the Head of Operations. Who is that?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here