Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should I buy a Smart TV?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I'm thinking of buying a Smart TV from Samsung, but am undecided. The sales spiel goes on about them offer 'apps' like Apple etc. but are they any cop?

I'm resisting a 3D TV as I think its pants and a waste of time in a living room - especially for football.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Personally I'd focus on getting a top TV, if you do need any of that other jazz, maybe look at an Apple TV (£99), rather than something built into the TV. Any Smart TV's I have seen, the built in Apps etc, have been pretty slow and cumbersome.

In my opinion 3D is good, but again I think I'd rather go for a top LED TV, than a 3D one, as it still seems way too early and under-used, especially if you seldomly watch films as much as me.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Yep, I'm not into 3D for the films, but I am intrigued by this idea of LED TVs with apps. Just wondering if Apple will cut the mustard or whether I should go with a more traditional manufacturer.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
All TV will be Apps-ed up in the very near future.

I'd wait for the iTV (or whatever Apple will call their actual TV).

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
40 inch SMART Full HD LED 3D 400hz Samsung is fantastic, endless praise from guests, must be in WHITE surround

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yep, I'm not into 3D for the films, but I am intrigued by this idea of LED TVs with apps. Just wondering if Apple will cut the mustard or whether I should go with a more traditional manufacturer.

I mean if you want one know, get a Panasonic or Samsung, then if you do want apps, or built in netflix or similar, get an Apple TV to go into it, for all that functionality anyway

MurrayGulliver

Nov 14, 2011
Portslade
If you were interested Sony are bringing out a google tv box, it works on the android system.
If you want a top tv, then it will be 3d ready and with smart tv. It is something all the manufacturers offer now.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Personally I'd focus on getting a top TV, if you do need any of that other jazz, maybe look at an Apple TV (£99), rather than something built into the TV. Any Smart TV's I have seen, the built in Apps etc, have been pretty slow and cumbersome.

In my opinion 3D is good, but again I think I'd rather go for a top LED TV, than a 3D one, as it still seems way too early and under-used, especially if you seldomly watch films as much as me.

If you get a top led tv it's more than likely 3d and smart. I went 3d (passive) but not smart, but I have got a 3d Blu ray player in my ps3 and some of the 3d games are stunning too.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Are you a smart TV operator?

I didn't get beyond that in my thought process!

I'm a total luddite on TVs and thought I should get myself into the 20th century. When I last bought a TV it had a cathode ray tube. On the back of the recent should I buy an iphone or should I get an HTC debate on here I thought I'd find out if it was worth the money getting a smart TV.

My worry is that like Tricky Dicky I'll get the thing out of the box and then never use the apps and treat it like a regular TV which would be a waste of cash.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I'm a total luddite on TVs and thought I should get myself into the 20th century. When I last bought a TV it had a cathode ray tube. On the back of the recent should I buy an iphone or should I get an HTC debate on here I thought I'd find out if it was worth the money getting a smart TV.

My worry is that like Tricky Dicky I'll get the thing out of the box and then never use the apps and treat it like a regular TV which would be a waste of cash.

I don't remember how much extra it cost, I was just looking for a decent TV. My main lounge TV is also a Samsung - which I like, so was happy to go with the brand again. I'm sure the apps will get better, but like anything new, the first attempts are not so good. Nothing I wanted to use at all - even when they worked, and they didn't seem to work too well. I shouldn't be a luddite as I'm an IT professional (allegedly).

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
I'd hold off until Apple release their tv set. Even if you don't want to buy an Apple product, it'll have a ton of features that everyone else will try and copy soon after. In fact, Samsung and Sony are both rumoured to have set up units within their companies specifically to try and second-guess what Apple are doing in the TV business, as they don't want to be caught out like RIM were when the iPhone was announced (they were adamant it wasn't possible right until they reversed-engineered one and found it was basically a tiny logic board strapped to a battery).

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
why do you want apps on a TV? do you need apps on a TV? i reckon you probably have a computer and a smart phone, if not buy the latter to deal with your apps requirements. a smart TV will require interwebs connection, if you have that you already have a computer, so have all the apps you need, shirley?

its a very confused place imo, the merging of TV and computer. i've thought it would be great for years, games and usful applications though a TV with a bulit in computer, but no one was interested. now Apple and competitors have suggested that "apps" can be put on a TV its the next best thing since the disposable nappy.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
My Sony TV lets me watch Youtube and BBC I Player plus other stes. Must say I prefer watching these on the big screen so if that's what smart tv means then I give it a thumbs up. As for 3d TV which I also have, still not sure about it. The quality of the 3d image is excellent but I find that I start off watching the footie in 3d but by the 2nd half I generally go back to HD. Some nature or travel programmes are very good in 3d but for everything else you cannot beat HD.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I love our new Samsung Smart TV, has wi fi dongle and can stream Love Film straight to the TV, only really used i player as it has radio on it where virgin box does not, it has twitter, Facebook on it but I don't use this. Really needs a keyboard as typing with the remote is a pain, great picture no complaints so far. Smart part will always struggle to compete with PC/MAC.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here