Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Doing the London to Brighton Bike Ride - Need some advice!

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Hi all, seeing as NSC gets shit done for me I figured I'd reach out to you fine people once again.

I've just signed up for the London to Brighton this year. Now, I have a mountain bike (a newish, but relatively shit one) and was wondering whether it's worth keeping/upgrading the bike I have, or buying a new bike altogether.

Last year my mate added some road tires to his mountain bike and did fine. But what would you recommend I check for? What's most important? Saddle? Pedals? Tyres? I really have no idea so any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

p.s.... anyone seen my iPad?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I've done it twice on a mountain bike, first time with off road tyres, second time with road tyres. Made a big difference and definitely worth doing.

brightonbaz

Feb 22, 2009
Road tyre without a shadow.....plus don't under estimate it......do some training to harden up your arse :lolol:

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
It will be a lot easier on a Hybrid or Road bike. But if You can't afford new bike road tyres on your mtb will make it less painful. Good luck.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
First thing I'd say is just enjoy it and if that means taking your sweet time, so be it.

When I had a mountain bike, I did change the tyres to a more 'roady' set when they had a more slick contact with the road but still had the grip on the edges. One of the main things is to make sure they are pumped up to the absolute limit.

Take a puncture repair kit but only for use if you're miles from the nearest refreshment stop (they have bike shop people there to help you) but have a spare inner tube.

Take things like lucozade and bananas for energy, especially for the Beacon.

Have fun!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I've done it three times on a hybrid and twice on a mountain bike with road tyres. It's not a problem unless you're on some kind of speed mission plus it's probably a lot more comfortable. As pasty says, go for the road tyres and if you've got suspension forks make sure they are locked stiff.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
I've done London to Southend twice. Keep your bike but defo change to road tyres. Like others have said don't underestimate it and do at least 3-4 months training ( including a fair bit if hill work.
Get a bottle cage and water bottle. Musts are padded seat cover and padded cycle shorts ( I found sports express the cheapest) and cycle gloves to alleviate the pins and needles in your hands.

Sent by Derek Acorah via the spirit world.

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
1. Firstly, train for it! Make sure your training includes hills as this is what will be the hardest on the day.

2. Keep eating throughout - bananas & cereal bars.

3. If you have to use a mountain bike, consider (if you haven't already got them) investing in some SPD pedals and shoes. You can get the shoes very cheap from sportsdirect.com. These will allow you to use the force of lifting your feet to also pedal the bike forward. I got 30% more distance for my energy, but it will depend on your pedalling style. Obviously practice in them as you'll twat the floor with your face a few times trying to get out of the pedals in a panic.

Best of luck!

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
Oh and PS watch out for some NSC members in their cars; apparently cyclists are fair game and should be run over for not paying Road Tax (which hasn't existed since the 1930's).

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Thanks for the tips everyone.

I work out in Goring and the ride from Hove is 11 miles. I plan on doing that ride to and from work at least 15 times before the day. I'll also be going on weekend rides to get a few more hills involved.

The suspension thing concerns me, I can't lock mine off which is really shit. But I'm trying to sort out as much as I can now so I'm prepared.

Can anyone recommend a good bike shop in/around Hove to get me all kitted up and ready to go?

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Thanks for the tips everyone.

I work out in Goring and the ride from Hove is 11 miles. I plan on doing that ride to and from work at least 15 times before the day. I'll also be going on weekend rides to get a few more hills involved.

The suspension thing concerns me, I can't lock mine off which is really shit. But I'm trying to sort out as much as I can now so I'm prepared.

Can anyone recommend a good bike shop in/around Hove to get me all kitted up and ready to go?
Try Evans cycles they should be able to help You out.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
ipad2.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There is a reason why everybody says TYRES.

So change your tyres.
Lock the suspension.
Eat and drink well, depending on how long you think you'll be.
There are plenty of food stops en route.
Start as early as possible. Or else the bottle necks and Ditchling will have you doing a lot of walking.
Talking of which Ditchling is the only major climb, which you will either manage or not, there's no shame in getting off.

SPD pedals would be good, but if you are just doing it as a one off, maybe not.

It's not a race but some 'proper clubs' will be out in force, try and not do anything silly, swerving across the road, suddenly stopping.
This will be tricky as some riders will be acting like they have never been on a road before, let alone a bike.

It's not a race, but my PB is 2hrs 55mins :thumbsup: :lol:

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Just make sure you look after it, whatever tyres you use.

2433257992_d0f3004f9b_o.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh and when you've changed your tyres, make sure they are inflated to the max, on the Sunday morning.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I did it a couple of years ago with no training and on a mountain bike with huge tyres, it was hard work but providing you stop a couple of times and have a drink/something to eat it's a piece of piss (providing you are reasonably fit).

Jimmy Come Lately

Registered Loser
Oct 27, 2011
Hove
I did it a couple of years ago with no training and on a mountain bike with huge tyres, it was hard work but providing you stop a couple of times and have a drink/something to eat it's a piece of piss (providing you are reasonably fit).

I agree that it can be done (I did similar) but the drag of mountain bike tyres is a needless burden on a long road route. I was cursing my decision to "just put up with it" by the end. It's probably worth keeping an eye out for a cheap second-hand road bike: they're designed that way for a reason and even if you get one 20+ years old that's a bit heavy and slow by modern standards it will save you a huge amount of effort.

If I decided to do the London to Brighton again, and if for some reason I didn't own a road bike at the time, I think I would consider hiring one for the weekend rather than use a mountain bike. I haven't tried a mountain bike with road tyres, though, so maybe just changing the tyres is enough. Maybe.

Good luck, whatever bike you choose. It's a good day out.

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
This year will be my 4th in a row.

The first year I did it on a mountain bike with bobbly tyres, talk about hard work. I now have a super slick road bike and it makes things a lot easier. I need to shed a few pounds before I do it this year, I suggest training at least 3 nights a week when the evenings get lighter.

Enjoy all those lovely bums, and be careful not to have an accident, someone dies every year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here