Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

John Templeman

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I actually do like the short interviews at half-time with ex-Albion players (not necessarily 'legends', mind).

Last night was a player I've heard of, but never saw play - before my time. Any chance of some of you old 'uns giving us a run down of what John Templeman did, what sort of player he was and how the fans took to him.

Ta... :)

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
He scored a 'cracking' goal against Aston Villa back in the day (30yds plus). It was featured on Match of the Days goal of the Month. He had a throw to match Rory Delaps. He had long blonde flowing hair.

Other than that, the mists of time have wreaked havoc with my memory.

ps..He was a very decent left back too. :)

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Remember him vaguely...blonde hair...girls loved him.... used to see him in the cafe of Miss Selfridges in the old Churchill Square quite a bit...

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Remember him well.... mainly because when I caught the number 26 bus to school in Hove (aged 11 or 12) in 1967-68 he was usually on it. I got off at Holmes Avenue and guess he stayed on to get the Goldstone.
He was a contemporary of Kit Napier, Wally Gould, Tiger Tawse and Howard Wilkinson, though he was more of a fringe first teamer at the time.
Blonde haired and skillful wing half with good ball skills.
Never saw him score though!

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
He scored a 'cracking' goal against Aston Villa back in the day (30yds plus). It was featured on Match of the Days goal of the Month. He had a throw to match Rory Delaps. He had long blonde flowing hair.

Other than that, the mists of time have wreaked havoc with my memory.

ps..He was a very decent left back too. :)

I thought 'that goal' was scored by Willie Irvine?

Agree with the rest about JT... great memories from my earliest days of watching the Albion.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I thought 'that goal' was scored by Willie Irvine?

Agree with the rest about JT... great memories from my earliest days of watching the Albion.

Indeed, here it is... great build up play from JT though. Funny how the memory plays tricks on you... I was sure this was from MUCH further out!!!

[yt]j7yrZUds3_A[/yt]

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Met him last night.

What a lovely bloke, very humble and excellent company.

His son told a good story of when his mum picked John up from training one day and Clough saw them.

He threatened to put a bomb under his car if it happened again!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Local lad, from Yapton just the other side of Arundel, I think. Played wing back as a contemporary of Sullivan and Tawse, Eric Whittington, (anyone remember him?) Brian Powney, Kit Napier and the latter part of Wally Gould's career. 200 plus games in the stripes (except for the years when we wore solid blue shirts with white sleeves). Quite pacy and asertive with a fair tackle on him (I think he learned from Jimmy Collins who was just ending his career when John came on to the scene) and the ability to get the crowd buzzing with surging runs from midfield. Scored a few as I recall - he had a hell of a kick on him - including one that stuck in the stanchion of the goal in front of the north tand having screamed in like an Exocet (except they weren't invented then) about a foot high - untoppable! a that againt Villa? I really don't recall.

He left us and went to Exeter in the big shake up in the mid 70's that eventually lead to us going into the top division. Great servant for the club. Not a legend? Maybe but for some of us he comes pretty close :)

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Shirley Templeman was often the Ashley Barnes of his day (a few took great pleasure in blaming everything that went wrong on him). Generally well liked by most Albion fans although at the start of the second half there was often a few calls of "We've changed ends Shirley-kicking into the North Stand now", it was one of those standing jokes employed by some but there was no malice meant.

D

Deleted member 18477

yes im grumpy but the half time interviews and pre match music do my head in. i personally like talking about the up and coming game and at half time talking about the game. not having to listen to music being thumped out louder than in a club and some ex player talking at half time. like i said yes im grumpy. but im a traditionalist when it comes to going to the footy. i also like standing, bloody stewards!

Indeed, here it is... great build up play from JT though. Funny how the memory plays tricks on you... I was sure this was from MUCH further out!!!

[yt]j7yrZUds3_A[/yt]

great match! so they say! saw hardly any of it from the back of the north! :rolleyes: but the atmo was great,villa pulled in huge crowds that year!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUBREZlitK0???

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
He played midfield with Brian Bromley in a 4 2 4 formation which saw us promoted under Pat Saward from the old third division. He took a bit of stick from the crowd but was a competitive player.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
The best Albion goal I've seen - and I'm a fifty year plus supporter - back to front in no time,and a brilliant finish.The anniversary is coming up,too.Perhaps this clip could be shown on the Amex screens before the Derby/Middlesborough games ?

It wasn't just Villa who drew big crowds,either - we had 30,000 plus to see Bournemouth and more than 27,000 to see Rotherham as we averaged 17,000 plus that season.Nearly 29,000 saw the Villa game (2-1 win btw.)

Templeman was a good enough player. Not the sort you thought " Templeman's out,what are we going to do ?", but good enough in what was a brilliant team that season.Of course,it had Kit Napier in it.

Tear to eye,hanky out.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
He was the Brian Horton, Danny Wilson, Liam Bridcutt of his day. Perhaps more like Paul Clark though. Taking the ball out of defensive midfield and finding the right pass and very very occasionally popping up on the edge of the penalty area (and then, alas ....). Brian Bromley was more like Navarro.

the best albion goal i've seen - and i'm a fifty year plus supporter - back to front in no time,and a brilliant finish.the anniversary is coming up,too.perhaps this clip could be shown on the amex screens before the derby/middlesborough games ?

It wasn't just villa who drew big crowds,either - we had 30,000 plus to see bournemouth and more than 27,000 to see rotherham as we averaged 17,000 plus that season.nearly 29,000 saw the villa game (2-1 win btw.)

templeman was a good enough player. Not the sort you thought " templeman's out,what are we going to do ?", but good enough in what was a brilliant team that season.of course,it had kit napier in it.

Tear to eye,hanky out.

villa 48,000 for b'muff!:rolleyes:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Why did he get stick?

It's not that obvious from these answers above.

Why does Ashley Barnes get stick? There's always one player who gets a bit of stick, Templeman was the Ashley Barnes of his day and I can't explain why either player is/was annoying a few loud mouths in the crowd.

cunningplan

Apr 1, 2011
Sussex Coast
I actually do like the short interviews at half-time with ex-Albion players (not necessarily 'legends', mind).

Last night was a player I've heard of, but never saw play - before my time. Any chance of some of you old 'uns giving us a run down of what John Templeman did, what sort of player he was and how the fans took to him.

Ta... :)

Sorry if it's already been said. I think it was December 1966 when 19 year old Templeman was charged with marking the then rising QPR star Rodney Marsh. QPR were top of the old third division and red hot favourites to beat Albion at the Goldstone (Today's division one) The match ended 2-2 and Templeman was outstanding - keeping Marsh from scoring. The John Vinicombe Argus headline read 'An Albion Star is born'. The rest is history.....

cunningplan

Apr 1, 2011
Sussex Coast
Sorry if it's already been said. I think it was December 1966 when 19 year old Templeman was charged with marking the then rising QPR star Rodney Marsh. QPR were top of the old third division and red hot favourites to beat Albion at the Goldstone (Today's division one) The match ended 2-2 and Templeman was outstanding - keeping Marsh from scoring. The John Vinicombe Argus headline read 'An Albion Star is born'. The rest is history.....

Oh - forgot to say it was Templeman's Albion debut

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here