Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How many points to make playoffs

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
How many points will we need to make the playoffs.forest finished 6th last season with 75.will that be enough this season?

To get 75 points we need 22 points from 13 games ave 1.69 points per game
Currently we have 53 points from 33 games. Ave 1.60 points per game

How many points will we end up with?

Upper Library

Feb 25, 2011
Worthing
As Gus would say - one game at a time. His press conference this week summed this up brilliantly.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Looking at our run-in, 22 points is very attainable - I reckon we could get as many as 25 (total 78). Assuming the other contenders do take points off each other, we are in with a really good shout.

Doncaster (a) W
Cardiff (h) D
Portsmouth (h) W
Blackpool (a) L
Derby (h) W
Forest (a) D
Middlesbrough (h) W
Burnley (a) W
Reading (h) D
West Ham (a) L
Watford (h) W
Birmingham (h) D
Barnsley (a) W

Total 25 points (78 overall).

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Derby (h) W
Middlesbrough (h) W
Burnley (a) W
Barnsley (a) W
This putting a W next to the name is easy isn't it. I hope you're right (total wise)

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
This putting a W next to the name is easy isn't it. I hope you're right (total wise)
I also said we would only draw our home matches with Cardiff, Reading and Birmingham (and away at Forest) and lose to West Ham and Blackpool.

Not unrealistic imho.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I have us making 77 and missing play offs by 1 point only problem is can't really predict where the upsets will come for anyone.

Have kept track of all games since beginning of Feb for all the leading contenders and out of 30 have managed to get 20 correct, who would have got these for instance

Blackpool v Pompey
WHU v Palarse
Boro v Reading
Leeds v Coventry

on that basis haven't got a clue but will be less than my predicted 77!!

Last edited:

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
How many points will we need to make the playoffs.forest finished 6th last season with 75.will that be enough this season?

To get 75 points we need 22 points from 13 games ave 1.69 points per game
Currently we have 53 points from 33 games. Ave 1.60 points per game

How many points will we end up with?

Forest didn't NEED 75 points to finish 6th. They got 75. They didn't NEED 75.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I also said we would only draw our home matches with Cardiff, Reading and Birmingham (and away at Forest) and lose to West Ham and Blackpool.
Yeah I know, I wasn't suggesting you're crazy, just saying it looks easier than it is.
Not unrealistic imho.
Unrealistic - no, but difficult - yes.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I suspect it is going to be a high number required, because at this stage there are so many clubs still in with a chance. Indeed, we're in a situation where the team as low as 9th could still finish top if they went on a storming run, and the top 12 could all finish in the top 6.

My guess is that 77 points will get a play off place, and that 4th - 8th will end up separated by about 4 points.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
I suspect it is going to be a high number required, because at this stage there are so many clubs still in with a chance. Indeed, we're in a situation where the team as low as 9th could still finish top if they went on a storming run, and the top 12 could all finish in the top 6.

My guess is that 77 points will get a play off place, and that 4th - 8th will end up separated by about 4 points.

That's 3 points more than has EVER been required (since the Championship began). Agree it will be high this season though.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
On the other hand we could win 8 in a row and be over the line with 5 games to go

Yes, everyone knows we win all our matches in March. So that's seven on the spin coming up... ;)

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
To account for the fact you only need a better goal difference/one point more than seventh place, I've added them to my table:

Average Mean is the (numbers added) divided (the number of numbers)
Average Mode is the most frequently occurring number

league finishes up to 2011b.jpg
(click to enlarge)

Dawn Korus

Oct 17, 2010
Christmas Island
Who knows how many we may need. Let's just hold on and enjoy the ride.

Whatever happens this season, it's been a cracking one and exceeded all of my wildest dreams

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here