Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mark McCammon in race discrimination claim

Smithy

Apr 26, 2009
Hove
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/9554662.Former_Albion_footballer_bringing_a_claim_for_race_discrimination_against_Gillingham_FC/

A former Albion footballer who was released from his club is bringing a claim for race discrimination, it emerged today.

Mark McCammon, 33, claims he and other black players at Gillingham FC were treated differently from white players.

The player confirmed the story, which appeared in today's Sunday Telegraph, saying only: "I'm hopeful that truth will prevail but I can't comment any further at this stage."

The newspaper said the case was believed to be the first race discrimination claim brought by a professional footballer.

McCammon, a Barbados international forward, signed a three-year contract with League Two club Gillingham in 2008, and was released three seasons later.

He is currently with Conference team Braintree Town.

He is bringing a claim for race discrimination and unfair dismissal against his former club and its chairman, Paul Scally.

It is understood he will claim that he and other black players were treated less favourably than white players in terms of punishments handed out for missing training, medical treatments and pay cuts following the club's relegation.

The case is expected to be heard at an employment tribunal in Ashford, Kent during the summer.

A spokesman for Gillingham said today: "The allegations made by Mark McCammon are wholly rejected by the club. It would not be appropriate for the club to comment further until the employment tribunal hearing has taken place."

Barbados international. :eek:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Playing the colour trick as is usual would for example Tommy Fraser do the same NO he wouldn't he would just accept it was because he wasn't good enough in the eyes of the manager.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Playing the colour trick as is usual would for example Tommy Fraser do the same NO he wouldn't he would just accept it was because he wasn't good enough in the eyes of the manager.

It is not just about being released. Churlish to dismiss this without knowing any of the facts of the case.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
I accept that but it always seems to be one particular group that make these shouts. Not havinga chip on their shoulder but a massive boulder whether it be right or wrong.

What - the group that gets discriminated against? That's kind of the point!

When discrimination (or, as in this case, an accusation of discrimination) is dismissed as someone having a chip on their shoulder, it gives people who discriminate something to hide behind. And so it continues ...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Poles Eastern Europeans etc are discriminated against just as much but they just get on with their life in general they don't go running to the courts. I do not believe the discrimination against 'coloured' people is half as bad as it is made out to be and just looking around the younger generation, girls and boys, there is much more racial intergration than there has ever been in this country.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Poles Eastern Europeans etc are discriminated against just as much but they just get on with their life in general they don't go running to the courts. I do not believe the discrimination against 'coloured' people is half as bad as it is made out to be and just looking around the younger generation, girls and boys, there is much more racial intergration than there has ever been in this country.

It's not going to a court but an employment tribunal. I presume you are not a 'coloured' or should I say black person, so how you would begin to know how bad the discrimination is?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

There were more claims of sex discrimination, more claims of age discrimination and more claims of disability discrimination than race discrimination last year and the year before and the year before that.

Bloody moaners. I wish they would just man up and get on with things.

Jul 5, 2003
BN11

'Coloured'? :facepalm:

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
I accept that but it always seems to be one particular group that make these shouts. Not havinga chip on their shoulder but a massive boulder whether it be right or wrong.

You made a similar comment regarding Evra you daft racist. We're in the 1st century in case you hadn't realised.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Speaking of Tommy Fraser, good to see him in the away end at Anfield last week drinking a bottle of Carlsberg, still follows the team.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
The odd bit is that he seems to be complaining about being released at the end of his contract. Surely Gillingham can choose to not offer a new one (assuming they didn't) for whatever reason they want? Much as I don't like their club, I would be ASTONISHED (especially having had the 'privilege' of seeing him play) if the reason he wasn't offered a new contract was because he's black.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Anyone remember when he called the phone in and took Ian Hart to task for some comments he'd made? I thought he sounded pretty articulate and made Harty sound a bit daft when he started to back peddle. I'll watch with interest on this one.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here