Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ipswich Fans With Banners...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Do some on here really still a hold a grudge over some soppy banner from 7 years ago?

No, but their fans hounding out McCarthy rather than turning their ire towards tight arsed ownership are getting what they deserve. People will be saying the same about the Albion if Hughton is forced out too early.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Ridiculous. It wasn’t even like the majority view of their fans that day. Most didn’t even know what the banner was trying to say and were embarrassed and apologetic to us when they found out.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
:bowdown:

[tweet]1131235776350609412[/tweet]

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
There's a very interesting fact about Paul Lambert that I've completely forgotten I knew.

I just wish I could remember what it was.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Well, 15 points from his last 21 games is sufficient to say it was time for a change. That’s relegation form.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
No, but their fans hounding out McCarthy rather than turning their ire towards tight arsed ownership are getting what they deserve. People will be saying the same about the Albion if Hughton is forced out too early.

Funnily enough heard “oirish mick” making EXACTLY that point on talkshit this morning “eh oop, Chris Hughton was sacked because t board felt it were time fer a change, like me at Ipswich...that worked out well”

Round and round goes the bloody great wheel.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
:bowdown:

[tweet]1131235776350609412[/tweet]

Dinosaurs of the game.

Edit: Hadn't actually seen all the references to dinosaurs in the other thread. Probably harsh when directed at CH. But safe to say that there are more forward-thinking (and, er, forward playing) managers around.

Last edited:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Well we will see eh?

I think we can already see. There's a reason that McCarthy isn't managing in the Premier League. And there's no way Hughton will be in his next job either.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Are the people slagging off Ipswich for getting rid of McCarthy the same ones who understand why Brighton got rid of Hughton?

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I think we can already see. There's a reason that McCarthy isn't managing in the Premier League.
McCarthy got Sunderland promoted - in the PL he was allowed to spend less than £4million on players - he brought in 6 players on free transfers who between them played more than 100 times for Sunderland that season. The same year Chelsea bought Michael Essien for £25million. It was by far the poorest squad in the PL for ten years.

When he got Wolves up in 2009 - he spent £16million on 7 players - kept Wolves up - the second season he was given £12million to spend (they sold players valued at £6million) - In the third season Wolves sold £15million worth of players and bought £12million. the same year Man City paid £40million for Aguero. McCarthy was sacked in February.

Like Hughton - he was working on a shoestring in comparison to most other clubs and kept Wolves in the PL for 3 years - a remarkable achievement. while McCarthy is under-rated he is not in the same league as Hughton.

And there's no way Hughton will be in his next job either.
And you have next week's lotto numbers as well ?

It is unlikely that Hughton will get his next job in the PL - simply because PL owners want a high-profile name - but stranger things have happened.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Karma for their fans, who hounded McCarthy out despite him keeping their heads above water on one of the smallest budgets in the division. But apparently "the football wasn't good enough" - therein lies a lesson for us all folks. Be careful what you wish for...
:eek:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I would have thought fellow Brighton supporters would now know better than to pass judgement from the outside on another club’s sacking of a manager in this way. In his final season, McCarthy had use of four decent attacking players in Bersant Celina, David McGoldrick, Martyn Waghorn and Joe Garner, all of whom have done well at their new clubs in the Championship. Despite their services, McCarthy’s run of 15 points from his final 21 games was relegation form for the Portman Road side. All these players were on their way out by the time McCarthy left, which made things much harder for his successors.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Taken in isolation, that quote would appear to match our own (so called) "entitled" fans exactly. HOWEVER, under McCarthy, Ipswich had finished the last few years:

2015 - 6th
2016 - 7th
2017 - 16th
2018 - 12th

and unlike CH, McCarthy had hardly been given any money to spend whatsoever. And unlike BHA, Ipswich were not dangerously flirting with relegation, or staying in the division by the skin of their teeth following a horrific goal-dry slump that lasted fully half a season.

So I see your point - but it doesn't stand up to scrutiny. Ipswich are penniless, but he had them comfortably safe every season. We've invested in the squad, but gotten worse. Bloom saw fit to act and arrest that slide before it further jeopardised our PL status.

I'll also add that none of the BHA fans "hounded out" CH at all - he was afforded a great deal of patience and respect despite the results and performances, and rightly so.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Taken in isolation, that quote would appear to match our own (so called) "entitled" fans exactly. HOWEVER, under McCarthy, Ipswich had finished the last few years:

2015 - 6th
2016 - 7th
2017 - 16th
2018 - 12th

and unlike CH, McCarthy had hardly been given any money to spend whatsoever. And unlike BHA, Ipswich were not dangerously flirting with relegation, or staying in the division by the skin of their teeth following a horrific goal-dry slump that lasted fully half a season.

So I see your point - but it doesn't stand up to scrutiny. Ipswich are penniless, but he had them comfortably safe every season. We've invested in the squad, but gotten worse. Bloom saw fit to act and arrest that slide before it further jeopardised our PL status.

I'll also add that none of the BHA fans "hounded out" CH at all - he was afforded a great deal of patience and respect despite the results and performances, and rightly so.

Sorry but I think Trig is right. You're only seeing what you want to see. If you want to look at McCarthy's four year record, then do the same to Hughton:

*stayed up
*3rd (by a gnats chuff)
*2nd (promoted)
*15th (stayed up)
*17th (stayed up)

and exactly the same as MM, Hughton had his side playing pragmatically because he didn't feel confident using them to their best ability. And talking of the money spent, Izquierdo was out for most of the season and other key players were too.

His point certainly stands up to scrutiny. Ipswich fans were never unhappy with their league position, it was the dull football they got sick of, much as it seems we did here. To be fair, a lot of us wrote off Ipswich fans for this stance and ought to be prepared to take a step back from that original point of view, because it is absolutely no different from us on Hughton.

Perhaps you should also consider that the the reason Ipswich fans hounded out MM (unlike us with CH) is that MM's record at Ipswich was unremarkable when you consider their historical league positions whereas CH got us promoted. It's that simple. And even then, there were plenty on here who angrily DID want him hounded out.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Sorry but I think Trig is right. You're only seeing what you want to see. If you want to look at McCarthy's four year record, then do the same to Hughton:

*stayed up
*3rd (by a gnats chuff)
*2nd (promoted)
*15th (stayed up)
*17th (stayed up)

and exactly the same as MM, Hughton had his side playing pragmatically because he didn't feel confident using them to their best ability. And talking of the money spent, Izquierdo was out for most of the season and other key players were too.

His point certainly stands up to scrutiny. Ipswich fans were never unhappy with their league position, it was the dull football they got sick of, much as it seems we did here. To be fair, a lot of us wrote off Ipswich fans for this stance and ought to be prepared to take a step back from that original point of view, because it is absolutely no different from us on Hughton.

Perhaps you should also consider that the the reason Ipswich fans hounded out MM (unlike us with CH) is that MM's record at Ipswich was unremarkable when you consider their historical league positions whereas CH got us promoted. It's that simple. And even then, there were plenty on here who angrily DID want him hounded out.

I'm not seeing what I want to see, I'm just calling it how I see it.

I'm not denying there are similarities, and to be clear, I was not in the "Hughton OUT" camp at any point, although I admit I was wavering after Cardiff. Personally I'd have thought a sit down and re-evaluation of strategies in the summer could have taken place between TB, CH, PW and DA to discuss the shortcomings of last season, and plot a way forward. Then see where we are and how we're looking come October / November and take it from there. More of the same from the last 5 months and its "thanks Chris, but we need to make a change". On the other hand, if we'd seen progress and improvement, then everybody's happy.

Anyway, it seems the underlying reason TB did what he did was NOT because of an angry fan reaction - there really wasn't one (I certainly don't count the ravings of a handful of serial grizzlers on here and neither does TB). He did it because despite some fairly significant investment, we'd clearly regressed from last season. Yes there are some reasons / excuses for that which have been picked apart at length on here, but its a fact that in terms of results and certainly performances, we'd gone backwards. And that dull, negative football very nearly got us relegated - in the end, we were effectively saved by Cardiff stuffing it up at Fulham and against Palace. Too close, and because of that, Bloom decided to act, which he had every right to do. Its his money, and he'd lost faith that going forward CH was the bets one to protect that investment. And I think thats a perfectly justifiable position.

In contrast, Ipswich's owners were clearly happy enough with McCarthy. He kept a skint club trundling along on a shoestring budget, never in danger of going down, even the odd tilt at a Playoff spot, at least early on. The owners ambitions at that club were and are completely different to those of Bloom, because they haven't got a pot to piss in. But McCarthy was openly at war with a large section of the Ipswich fans, who hated the style of football and wanted him out. It became poisonous until eventually MM had had enough, gave them all the finger and off he went.

The Ipswich fans got McCarthy the boot. You cannot say the same about the BHA fans, there was and is a clear difference.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here