Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is de rigueur in suiting for men these days?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
It's approaching the time I bought a new suit or two for those occasions when a gentleman wishes to dress more formally.

I'm thinking of something at the darker / more sombre end of the colour spectrum (charcoal grey / dark blue / black), but what about the other details that are so easy to get wrong?

Two piece or three?
If two piece, 2 buttons or 3?

TJx

The WOMEN'S opinion!
Aug 19, 2011
Withdean
from a womens point of you ...
definately a two piece, waistcoats are a no-no make you look like a BANKER lol, try and go for the Gus look you wont go wrong :D
(also 2 buttons )

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Depends on your body shape! I'd would head to Hugo Morris in The Lanes (opposite Donatellos) and have a chat with Mark Jenkins - his advice is second to none.

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
Definitely 2 piece - don't bother with a waistcoat!

Keep it simple - dark charcoal is good - will take you anywhere - always looks smart -

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Dress to the left (unless you hang to the right)

P.S. Brown three piece, with wide pin stripes. BIG lapels, two buttons, Flares.
White frilled shirt unbuttoned to waist, shirt collar folded over jacket.

BIG and I mean BIG gold medallion to emphasise hair on chest.

Sorted.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Am also in the market for a new suit for work purposes and had a quick browse today. When it comes to the mainstream shops when you are on a budget it looks like various shades of grey are all the rage and you might actually struggle if you wanted navy.

Being an old mid forties fart with emerging one pack it has to be a 2 piece two button regular fit. Some of the suit styles for the young dandys are truly foul. I don't mind the slim fit but its all the contrast piping round the lapels. Makes you look a holiday park rep :eek:

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Some friends of mine have had suits made at Gresham Blakes.

I have to say that the suits are beautiful and although I have previously thought they are over priced etc, I am seriously thinking about getting one myself.

I would go for a two button jacket with four buttons on the sleeve. Probably a single vent at the back and straight pockets. Flat front trousers without turn ups and no pocket flaps.

Colours? Very dark blue.

TJx

The WOMEN'S opinion!
Aug 19, 2011
Withdean
Some friends of mine have had suits made at Gresham Blakes.

I have to say that the suits are beautiful and although I have previously thought they are over priced etc, I am seriously thinking about getting one myself.

I would go for a two button jacket with four buttons on the sleeve. Probably a single vent at the back and straight pockets. Flat front trousers without turn ups and no pocket flaps.

Colours? Very dark blue.

:cool:

Sloe Joe

Oct 7, 2010
If you're a 1901 member, a dinner jacket is naturally de rigeur. However, the more gauche supporters from the County might favour plus fours and tweeds. If you are amongst the more 'dangerous' types trying to avoid the likes of DI Roy Grace, spats, a Prince of Wales check suit and a jautily angled Homburg would 'cut the dash'.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I have a Gresham Blake suit. Love it!

I'm also in the market for an everyday business suit. Always two easy winners. Charcoal or dark navy, thin pinstripes optional. Always two button.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
Jump The Gun
Lovely suits, English made, lovely materials, much cheaper than Gresham Blakes and more stylish IMO.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Depends on your build. Ask someone to give you some advice (even M&S provide this) and will advise whether a 2/3 button, single/doubled jacket suit will be best for you.

It's approaching the time I bought a new suit or two for those occasions when a gentleman wishes to dress more formally.

I'm thinking of something at the darker / more sombre end of the colour spectrum (charcoal grey / dark blue / black), but what about the other details that are so easy to get wrong?

Two piece or three?
If two piece, 2 buttons or 3?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here