Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tribute Bands

Flex Your Head

I hate tribute bands. They're creatively bankrupt parasites, leeching off the talent and success of others.
People who pay good money to see one of the plethora of Abba / Pink Floyd / Mettalica acts peddle their wares are the most musically conservative dullards around. They deserve to have their ears confiscated.

I'm right, aren't I?

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I like them - especially their names which are often quite funny. I particularyly enjoyed the country U2 band "The Joshua Trio!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Alternatively, The Aussie Pink Floyd show is top notch - especially as Floyd will never perform live again,

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Alternatively, The Aussie Pink Floyd show is top notch - especially as Floyd will never perform live again,

I have only seen these guys, who were excellent and some Eagles tribute band who were shit shit shit. For the most part I tend to agree with the OP but if the band have broken up or are dead I guess it's easy to see why people would go along.

Is there a Bob Marley tribute band btw?? Get that right and I imagine you could make a fortune

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
never seen any and doubt I ever will, although I've often thought I'd rather see some rocking tribute band than a bunch of grandads reforming to perform their old hits

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If it's the closest these people can get to seeing their actual favourite bands live, I see no harm?

If in 25 years, there was an Interpol tribute band knocking around (very doubtful), I would probably go see them, for nostalgia's sake.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I wouldn't go so far as to call them "creatively bankrupt"

When I was in my last band we used to have to do a set consisting of mainly cover songs whilst throwing a few of our originals in. When people go to a pub to see a band they don't want to hear an hours worth of songs they don't know. They want familiar stuff they can get drunk to.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I've seen Madness live a couple of times and I've seen Complete Madness (the cover band), I would never pay to see Madness again, the last couple of gigs they couldn't give two monkeys and were only there for the cash. At least the cover band were enthusiastic.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Limehouse Lizzy are worth a go.

Steveapps71

May 9, 2011
Brighton land
I hate tribute bands. They're creatively bankrupt parasites, leeching off the talent and success of others.
People who pay good money to see one of the plethora of Abba / Pink Floyd / Mettalica acts peddle their wares are the most musically conservative dullards around. They deserve to have their ears confiscated.

I'm right, aren't I?

Normally kareoke singers BUT the exeption is Daz & Chave (chas & dave tribute obviously) they are incredible!! :):)

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I really enjoyed the ELO experience in Tenterden recently. It gave me a live ELO fix that I hadn't had since seeing ELO II in eastbourne 1999.
I found you could close your eyes and imagine the real band members playing although the sound was very true to the studio rather than live.

I'd definitely go again and re-live the feelings it gave me.

cornish seagull

cornish seagull
Feb 25, 2011
cornwall
never seen any and doubt I ever will, although I've often thought I'd rather see some rocking tribute band than a bunch of grandads reforming to perform their old hits

Then come down to Cornwall and see the 'Deja Blues Band' we might as well be a cover band as 80% of our numbers are DR Feelgood!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Livewire AC/DC are superb, they have a Bon Scott and a Brian Johnson, they play for over two hours, a terrific night out.

Flex Your Head

I wouldn't go so far as to call them "creatively bankrupt"

When I was in my last band we used to have to do a set consisting of mainly cover songs whilst throwing a few of our originals in. When people go to a pub to see a band they don't want to hear an hours worth of songs they don't know. They want familiar stuff they can get drunk to.
That's fair enough, but you were probably booked by the pub for a few quid rather than being a group who existed purely to mimic a famous band. Those charlatans charge the punters to watch them.
I remember seeing tickets for the Australian Doors on sale for over twenty quid a few years ago. (And after Led Zeppelin, The Doors are the most dreadfully over-rated band in the history of our beloved planet!)

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
That's fair enough, but you were probably booked by the pub for a few quid rather than being a group who existed purely to mimic a famous band. Those charlatans charge the punters to watch them.
I remember seeing tickets for the Australian Doors on sale for over twenty quid a few years ago. (And after Led Zeppelin, The Doors are the most dreadfully over-rated band in the history of our beloved planet!)

It does cost money to be a touring band. They have to charge a fee to recoup their expenses; things like venue hire, PA, travel, equipment etc etc.

I'm liking that mix-tape in your signature, perfect for the last few hours at work!

Look at this way - you buy a silscreen or lithograph, numbered limited edition, and you are devoid of any artistic taste.
Really??

However, there is a breed of person who might go to a Beatles tribute and exclaim "rubbish, the bass player looked nothing like McCartney", and they have to be rather dim.

I used to go and see a Beatles tributer band, and there's no way The Beatles played and sounded that good.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I have seen the Bootleg Beatles who were bloody brilliant and the Illegal Eagles, who considering it was in Burgess Hill Leisure Center and there was only about 100 of us there was a superb night.

they even played up to date stuff from Long Road Out Of Eden.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here