Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The OFFICIAL NFL 2012 Thread

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
It may seem early to make a start, but there is always something keeping you interested in the NFL if you are enough of an anorak.

Yesterday, players began registering in Indy for the Combine, so this seems as good a time as any to kick off the thread for the next season.

For those who are interested to know more about teh off-season timetable:

Combine 22-28th Feb. This is where the best of the college players (328 this year) are invited to Indianapolis to perform a series of workouts in from of the TV cameras and the scouts of the NFL teams. Whether it is the 40-yard dash, or the 225lb bench press, or the vertical leap, it is about showing your skills and raw physical attributes.

Free Agency begins 13th March. This is effectively the transfer window opening up, specifically for players who are free to move teams. There are various rules and regulations that cover these moves, which I won't bore you with here, but essentially an "unrestricted free agent" is free to move wherever he likes, whereas a "restricted free agent" accepts an offer from another team, and his existing team can meet the offer and keep him if they like.

Pro Days. between now and teh Draft, college players will have their own "pro days" which are essentially mini combines, but the players are showcasing their talents according to what THEY want to do, rather than following the laid down programme of the combine.

Draft, 26-28th April. Round 1 is on the Thursday, Rounds 2-3 on teh Friday and the 4-7th Rounds are done on the Saturday. The bulk of the excitemnent is therefore the first day, when the cream of teh crop of college players are selected. For those who don't know, the team with the worst record last season, the Indianapolis Colts, get the first pick of each round of the draft, whereas the best team, the NYG get the 32nd pick. That way, the best new college players go to the weakest teams, and that's how the competition remains so balanced.

The other notable date on the horizon is: March 8th, when Peyton Manning is due a $28m roster bonus. Unless he has been cut, traded or renogiated his contract by then, he will be due that bonus payment despite 12 months and 3 neck surgeries since he last played a game. With the first pick of the draft, the Colts are in prime spot to pick up Andrew Luck in teh draft, so look set to move on. But even so, it will be a BIG decision to cut a man of his stature loose.

Peever

Sep 5, 2010
Canada
Also the Green Bay Packers have finally cleared so Canadians can buy shares in them as they are doing a share sell at the moment. Will be looking into getting my own :)

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
As a Redskins fan I am in a pre-draft frenzy already. With our desperate need for a QB we are sweating on possible deals with the Rams to trade up for RGIII assuming the Colts do the obvious and pick up Luck. Will the Browns want to spoil our party and beat us to the number two pick, or will they pick up Blackmon to finally give McCoy someone to throw too?

A lot of twists and turns to come before April 26th. I can't wait.

FootballFan7

Feb 7, 2012
still cannot believe the the patriots lost to the giants at the beginning of this month!! but i agree always something good/interesting happening in NFL. as with the american NBA another brilliant sport.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
still cannot believe the the patriots lost to the giants at the beginning of this month!! but i agree always something good/interesting happening in NFL. as with the american NBA another brilliant sport.

The Giants just have their number in play-off football. I heard a couple of stats on a podcast the other day (only heard it once, so this may not be 100%, but it's roughly this).

Patriots have a 22-4 post-season record against the NFC. 3 of those 4 defeats have been to the Giants.

In 2007, the 14 points the Giants held them to in the SB was their lowest of the season. Last seasons SB, the 17 points they scored was the equal lowest they scored all season.

What I still can't get my head around is that the Pats used the hurry-up offense so little. The end of the 2nd QTR and the start of the 3rd QTR, they did it, it worked and they went away from it.

Igor Gurinovich?

Mar 27, 2006
Southampton
As a Redskins fan I am in a pre-draft frenzy already. With our desperate need for a QB we are sweating on possible deals with the Rams to trade up for RGIII assuming the Colts do the obvious and pick up Luck. Will the Browns want to spoil our party and beat us to the number two pick, or will they pick up Blackmon to finally give McCoy someone to throw too?

skins dont have enough to offer draft wise to get #2 unless they trade away the next 3 years worth of picks, which i prey they dont do..

D

Deleted member 18477

Go giants!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:banana::banana::banana::banana:

SUPERBOWL CHAMPS!!!:clap:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
skins dont have enough to offer draft wise to get #2 unless they trade away the next 3 years worth of picks, which i prey they dont do..

The Browns definitely have the upper hand IF they want to trade up. There is also talk of a cheaper trade with the Browns to go 4 as neither the Rams or Vikings need a QB. The Browns could still get Blackmon at 6 and the Skins could get RGIII at 4. Personally I think if Shanahan has decided he wants RGIII or indeed Luck he should do what is necessary to get them. The team cannot function without a decent QB and some of the other holes on the team could be filled in the lower rounds and free agency. If Tannehill is the preferred choice he won't be ready to start next season so it will be another year of Grossman which is just unthinkable.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

It wouldn't be quite that bad, as trading up from 6th to 2nd is about equivalent to 2 x 2nd Round Picks. So this years, and next years 2nd round picks to Cleveland would probably do it.

However, I like the idea of perhaps trading up to 4 with the Browns dropping back to 6, as that is FAR cheaper to deal, probably a single 3rd round pick this year. However, that pretty much requires the Browns to be after Blackmon and Tannehill, which probably means giving McCoy one more run at the starting job. While that's possible, if I'm the Browns I prefer teh idea of staying put and adding RG3, then getting Kendall Wright or Michael Floyd when they pick again at 22.

Maybe trading up to 3 (the Vikings will still get Kalil at 6 I'd imagine) is the answer, that would be a 2nd Round and maybe a 5th Round pick.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
still cannot believe the the patriots lost to the giants at the beginning of this month!!

Just gonna have to get used to it I guess !

Apparently Brady is still getting grief about his wife’s less than diplomatic comments about the rest of the Pats team being to blame for the defeat.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Now admittedly I'm not a fan of this British Bulldog / rugby hybrid thing, but I have to say, Shandy, me old mucker... that post makes absolutely no sense at all. :ohmy:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Now admittedly I'm not a fan of this British Bulldog / rugby hybrid thing, but I have to say, Shandy, me old mucker... that post makes absolutely no sense at all. :ohmy:

I could have gone on. It is all deliciously complicated and I have nine weeks of fevered speculation to look forward to. It takes my mind off whether Gus is going to Wolves or not...

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I have nine weeks of fevered speculation to look forward to.

Absolutely. I love the run-up to the draft, reading reports on players, analysing combine stats, reading mock drafts, even doing my own. Then, free agency opens, Schnyder makes a move for Matt Flynn and suddenly EVERYTHING changes.

Draft night is one of my favourite of the whole year, any sport. The Friday is booked off work already!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Absolutely. I love the run-up to the draft, reading reports on players, analysing combine stats, reading mock drafts, even doing my own. Then, free agency opens, Schnyder makes a move for Matt Flynn and suddenly EVERYTHING changes.

Draft night is one of my favourite of the whole year, any sport. The Friday is booked off work already!

Totally agree it is absorbing stuff.

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
LETS GO LIONS !

any other lions fans on nsc?

Set of Tracksuits

Oct 27, 2003
Leicester
The Browns have FAR too many needs to trade up to 2, if RG3 is there at 4 then take him but if not Blackmon will almost certainly be there as the Vikings would be mad not to take Kalil.

Desperate for a right tackle too, otherwise even if we do get RG3 he'll spend most of the season running for his life regardless of how good he is.

AND we need a running back if Hillis doesn't re-sign

AND a pass rusher

AND someone, anyone, who can stop the run

I could go on...

Who are the Cowboys after Mr Gritt?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
The Browns have FAR too many needs to trade up to 2,

You're probably right, but thanks to the Falcons they do have quite a few picks.

Who are the Cowboys after Mr Gritt?

Seondary help is the main problem. If he's still on the board at 14, I think we take CB, Dre Kirkpatrick. Not only have we been exposed deep for a few seasons now, but Newman was starting to get exposed last season, so he may not be back with us next season, as he commands too big a salary for diminishing skills.

An upgrade a safety would also be useful, but I can't see us taking Barron at 14, as that's a reach. Could we trade down and take him in the early 20s, maybe, but I'd be surprised.

We could also do with an inside lineback alongside Lee, and maybe an outside linebacker if Anthony Spencer moves on as a Free Agent.

The other need is the continued move to rejuvenate our O-Line. A year ago it was creaking through old age and we started the process of bringing in younger guys, but we could still be tempted to take another one. But having never taken a O-Lineman in the first round, I'd be amazed if Jerry Jones makes it 2 in a row with someone like DeCastro. Not impossible though.

What is useful for the Cowboys this year is that we have a few needs, and can therefore take the best player available, and fill any one of those. There are a fair few options in Free Agency in the secondary and with $19m (I think) cap room available, I'd be surprised if we don't make a couple of good moves in Free Agency.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here