Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FFs Barnes

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Ashley Barnes is a great player when he looks up for it but yet again last night he really tried my patience. His contribution was marginal and at times the game passed him by. Challenges that needed to be made, loose balls to be chased and decent shooting chances that he all wasted or ignored. A sort of Harley-esque casual performance. This put unnecessary pressure on our midfield which had a real mixed game with Bridders poor first half except for a brilliant goal line clearance, Navs doing his usual ok but not imposing job and Razak trying to work out what was going on. I know they weren't helped by the ball sticking in the muddy pitch (Bridders was unlucky with this several times) but thats not an excuse.

If we had just sharpened up our act a tad the game was there for the taking as we had good possession and space. Plus Barnes had a couple of very decent shooting chances but instead he chose passes that didn't come off.

The most frustrating thing was seeing CMS (yet again) move into space off the last defender ready to receive a through ball from Barnes but the ball never arrived, as if they are strangers to each other.

Barnes must be bullet proof in Gus's eyes otherwise he should have been sub'd. maybe he did just enough but no more. Can't believe that some radio reports said he had a good game. I guess that if Gus is happy with the result then Barnes will continue to get the benefit of the doubt.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I thought Barnes did OK last night, only thing that winds me up is that he constantly goes down looking for free kicks, more often than not doenst get them, then goes chasing after the ref instead of the ball even though its right next to him

He did one of the best dives ever last night, some how got a free kick, it was like an oak tree being felled.

mh369

Mar 4, 2009
London
Wasn't at the game last night, but i think he's had a pretty good season. Playing in a slightly different role to last year, but works hard and seems to do what Gus asks of him.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
This is getting very tiresome now. Do you people Trust in Gus? If so, back the players he picks, if not then I wonder if you will ever trust in a manager.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
I am in no way knocking Barnes I think he does do a good job but I think he is there to fill in for the short comings of any other position in the team which means his actual individual contribution is diminished, I am just not sure what his position is he seems to cover everyone else in the team. I would like to see him have a clearer role in the team is he a forward or a midfielder, I suspect if we ran out of goalkeepers Barnes would be the stand in. Again not knocking him just a bit confused how he actually fits into the team and want him to contribute more than covering up for others inadequacies.

I am guessing Gus sees him as a well rounded player than can interchange with others but its still a work in progress, if he can improve to be this player he could be a very good asset just a bit confusing at present.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Although I admit there are frustrating aspects of his game I can’t help but think people are just finding reasons to moan, I mean Barnes has been ever present in a team just outside of the playoffs that remains unbeaten in 2012 (in the league) Also I think it’s easy to forget he’s only relatively young.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
We are doing so well to remain unbeaten with the rubbish players Poyet keeps putting out aren't we? I mean having Barnes, Navarro and Brezovan playing is like we're starting with 8 men each game.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
This is getting very tiresome now. Do you people Trust in Gus? If so, back the players he picks, if not then I wonder if you will ever trust in a manager.

Oh that's all right then. Except it isn't.

I trust in Gus on most things and you won't see me posting on here aboout trivial selection stuff. But IMHO Barnes has now had plenty of chances to impose himself even in his new role this season but is becoming a luxury - especially when we have more than enough decent options on the bench. I have higher expectations of our squad and want see our best team on the pitch consistently. He would be in that team if his form justifies it - but currently it does not.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I thought Barnes did OK last night, only thing that winds me up is that he constantly goes down looking for free kicks, more often than not doenst get them, then goes chasing after the ref instead of the ball even though its right next to him

He did one of the best dives ever last night, some how got a free kick, it was like an oak tree being felled.

He's exactly the same as Murray was, the only difference is that Murray had a more believable falling style... After all, how many FK/pens did Murray win last year that were frankly debatable at very best?

Oh, an overall, can people please start using old threads? EVERY TIME we don't win, there's a "Barnes is sh*t thread". Its as predictable as night follows day. Anyone would think there was somekind of witch hunt!

Still, I'm sure he's only playing because the manager thinks he's doing well... I'm sure Gus will read NSC shortly and realise the error of his ways.

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
That's funny, because on 5live they were saying what a fantastic shift he had put in.

Exactly right - Hignett very impressed with Barnes' work-rate, tackling back and unstinting support for CMS. What a complete disaster having someone in the squad who's hard-working, can play 90 minutes three times a week, scores good goals, is completely team-focused and, I suspect, is an excellent person around the dressing room.

F**k it. Let's get Leon Knight back...

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I am in no way knocking Barnes I think he does do a good job but I think he is there to fill in for the short comings of any other position in the team which means his actual individual contribution is diminished, I am just not sure what his position is he seems to cover everyone else in the team. I would like to see him have a clearer role in the team is he a forward or a midfielder, I suspect if we ran out of goalkeepers Barnes would be the stand in. Again not knocking him just a bit confused how he actually fits into the team and want him to contribute more than covering up for others inadequacies.

I am guessing Gus sees him as a well rounded player than can interchange with others but its still a work in progress, if he can improve to be this player he could be a very good asset just a bit confusing at present.

Not sure why you are confused about where he fits in. You seem to have explined it quite well and to have properly emphasised his importance to the team.
Of course we could set up differently and he would have a different role or even no role at all. But we don't.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Oh that's all right then. Except it isn't.

I trust in Gus on most things and you won't see me posting on here aboout trivial selection stuff. But IMHO Barnes has now had plenty of chances to impose himself even in his new role this season but is becoming a luxury - especially when we have more than enough decent options on the bench. I have higher expectations of our squad and want see our best team on the pitch consistently. He would be in that team if his form justifies it - but currently it does not.

But this is EVERY. SINGLE. GAME. that we get this tiresome moaning about Barnes, and we all sail around the same buoy over and over again. Whatever he does, some people just have it in for him. he used to share the stick with Harley, but now he's out of the side it's ALL left on Barnes.

Does the fact that Gus rates him highly enough to play him so much not suggest anything to you? Or are you comparing this to Micky Adams and his Adam Virgo obsession?

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
But this is EVERY. SINGLE. GAME. that we get this tiresome moaning about Barnes, and we all sail around the same buoy over and over again. Whatever he does, some people just have it in for him. he used to share the stick with Harley, but now he's out of the side it's ALL left on Barnes.

Does the fact that Gus rates him highly enough to play him so much not suggest anything to you? Or are you comparing this to Micky Adams and his Adam Virgo obsession?

You help make my point. We have to move on from the past. We are now playing 40 places higher than for years and in contention for a play off position to the Premiership - how many of us would have believed that 3-4 years ago? One of the reasons for this is that we now have a squad of players that can compete at this level. If we are serious about taking the next step upwards then there will be no room for sentiment. If a player isn't on form then we now have very decent options from the bench (or can't even make it onto the bench). We have an embarrsment of riches compared to even 12 months ago. We don't have to become apologists for Barnes (or any other player). Yes his name crops up on here on a weekly basis but thats because he is inconsistent and from my perspective it impairs the team, as he did on several occasions last night. As posted some months ago I accepted that Barnes was being asked to play a different role and to give him the benefit of the doubt but here we are months later and at some point you have to ask the question rather than ignore it.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
You help make my point. We have to move on from the past. We are now playing 40 places higher than for years and in contention for a play off position to the Premiership - how many of us would have believed that 3-4 years ago? One of the reasons for this is that we now have a squad of players that can compete at this level. If we are serious about taking the next step upwards then there will be no room for sentiment. If a player isn't on form then we now have very decent options from the bench (or can't even make it onto the bench). We have an embarrsment of riches compared to even 12 months ago. We don't have to become apologists for Barnes (or any other player). Yes his name crops up on here on a weekly basis but thats because he is inconsistent and from my perspective it impairs the team, as he did on several occasions last night. As posted some months ago I accepted that Barnes was being asked to play a different role and to give him the benefit of the doubt but here we are months later and at some point you have to ask the question rather than ignore it.

Do you guys who like knocking Barnes every single week not think that actually he has a specific job to do, and there isn't another player in the squad who could actually do that job to the same standard?

He is the Bridcutt equivalent further up the pitch, Gus picks him because he makes the whole make up of the side more solid, links up play between midfield and attack, defends from the front (and in his own penalty area quite a lot) and can also score goals... he is a major reason why we don't concede many goals (Sunday excepted, but then Liverpool were exceptional)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here