Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football stadium oddities/trivia

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Prompted by a FASCINATING similar thread on another board. Football grounds with unusual and/or interesting features & facts about them. GO.

SC Braga. Has a mountain at one end.

braga_stadium.jpg

72bw5.jpg

Atletico Madrid (the very Albion-named Stadio Vicente Calderon) has the Madrid ring road running underneath one stand.

calderon3.jpg

Everton have their own church stuck inside Goodison Park

AA341BC8-B9B1-2AC9-3515D88743147688.jpg

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
floating-stadium-3.jpg

Singapore, Marina Bay. Made entirely of steel, the floating platform measures 390 feet long and 270 feet wide. It can bear up to 1,070 tonnes, equivalent to the total weight of 9,000 people, 200 tonnes of stage props and three 30-tonne military vehicles. The gallery at the stadium has a seating capacity of 30,000 people.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
This stadium in Pyongyang, North Korea, is- I believe- the largest football stadium in the world (currently in use), capacity 150,000. And is presumably also handy for mass adoration of the Dear/Great/Awesome Leader, as well as public executions. And it looks Coolio Iglesias.

pyongyang_may_day1.jpg

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
floating-stadium-3.jpg

Singapore, Marina Bay. Made entirely of steel, the floating platform measures 390 feet long and 270 feet wide. It can bear up to 1,070 tonnes, equivalent to the total weight of 9,000 people, 200 tonnes of stage props and three 30-tonne military vehicles. The gallery at the stadium has a seating capacity of 30,000 people.

...and it also has a Formula One racing circuit running through it for one weekend a year.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I've been to that Braga ground. In fact, I was at that game shown in the picture. Two other things about that...

1. The quarry face is at the other end as well.
2. At ground level it was glorious and sunny. By the time I got to my seat on the top shelf, it was f***ing freezing.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
151_large.jpg

It presently has a capacity of approximately 18,500 all seated, which is quite large relative to the population of Monaco (about 30,500); it can seat almost two-thirds of the country's population, a feat no other stadium can boast. The vast majority of the stadium's facilities are located underground, with a large car park directly under the pitch

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Arbroath's Gayfield Park is the closest ground to the sea in Britain. Not so fun when the tide comes in.

arbroa1.jpg

Oct 25, 2003
largest stadium in the world

strahov.jpg

not really in use any more, although i believe sparta prague train there.....you can fit NINE football pitches in it

Sep 1, 2010
Taiwan has what is being touted as the largest solar-powered stadium in the world, the 'World Games Stadium'. It comes with massive and gigantic solar panels which harnesses all the solar energy in order to generate electricity that could be used by the stadium. It has a 14,155 square meter roof and it harnesses about 1.4 gigawatt hours of electricity every year. The coolest part of the stadium is that when the stadium is not being used, 80% of the neighborhood around the stadium can also be powered through the electricity generated by the stadium on days when it is not being used

Worldgamesstadium.jpg

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Old Trafford was build with massively over-specified foundations. Tht is why they have been able to build up the height of the stadium relatively easily.

(I am no expert - so authoritative confirmation/denial welcomed).

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Bolton used to have a supermarket or cash & carry style place at one end of Burnden Park.

2016_display.jpg

Anyway. Inverness Caledonian Thistle is the only stadium to be located on the side of a FIRTH. Whatever a firth is.

Inverness_Caledonian.jpg

Oct 25, 2003
not a football stadium, but this is the Deutsches Stadion....had it been built it would've had a capacity of 400,000

speer-stadion_01.png

sadly for stadium lovers, a little thing called the second world war went and stopped construction

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Not part of the thread, but I just found this and thought it was a nice picture. Sniff. Seagulls.

123_display.jpg

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It has supermarket at one end. This would be the dreary urban equivalent of a mountain then.
It has a f***ing dreadful "nightclub" in the main stand, which looks 50 years old.
It has a truly stand at one end that looks like a barn.

Quirky or utter wank? You decide.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here