Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Legal Advice

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Any lawyers out there ?

If I receive a letter of offer for another job and write back and accept do I require confirmation from the company prior to handing in notice ?

Need to know in case this situation arises.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
It really depends on what the offer letter contained .. ie contract details etc etc. If the letter offered you a job at a stated salary with a start date and is signed by a director or signatory of te company then you have in essence a contract of employment. If the letter is rather vague then wait until you sign your contract before jumping ship

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
I'd certainly wait until a letter offering you the job at the stated salary arrived.

If you write back to confirm you'll be accepting the job based on this written offer then (altho' people who passed more than Legal Exec Part 1 can disagree!) the required legal elements of a contract - offer, consideration and acceptance - have been met.

I've always thought it was tempting fate to bung in your notice on the basis of a verbal offer.

A mate of mine had a rather shitty situation a while ago. He was offered a job, handed his notice in and then 1 week before he was due to start the company lost an account and they withdrew his offer. His original company refused to accept him back, they'd already employed someone, and the bunch of new wankers gave him one months salary which he would have recieved and told him goodbye.

Sadly stuff like jobs offers mean nothing really.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here