Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Sussex By The Sea' = In the wrong key for fans

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
It may have come to many fans' attention that halfway through 'Sussex By The Sea' being played, the singing goes quieter and seems to fade out. This is due to the music being in the wrong key for fans to sing. Most males can reach an 'F' note and some up to an 'G', but the majority struggle to reach the 'A' demanded by the version in the key of 'F-major' as it currently stands. Most of the singing now comes at an octave below and it is far quieter than it could be.
The problem note is demonstrated by the following:
.. here are the lyrics for the 1st verse and the BHAFC add-on...

Now is the time for marching
Now let your hearts be gay
Hark to the merry bugles
Sounding along our way
So let your voices ring, my boys,
And take the time from me
And I'll sing you a song, as we march along,
Of Sussex by the Sea
Good old Sussex by the sea
And we're going up to win the cup
For Sussex by the sea

The notes in bold are the ones that require this high note and cut the singing. I would suggest a recording of it being played in the key of 'B-major' or 'C-major' to be used.

Please add your suggestions and correct anything you think may be wrong here. We need to get this right!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
It may have come to many fans' attention that halfway through 'Sussex By The Sea' being played, the singing goes quieter and seems to fade out. This is due to the music being in the wrong key for fans to sing. Most males can reach an 'F' note and some up to an 'G', but the majority struggle to reach the 'A' demanded by the version in the key of 'F-major' as it currently stands. Most of the singing now comes at an octave below and it is far quieter than it could be.
The problem note is demonstrated by the following:
.. here are the lyrics for the 1st verse and the BHAFC add-on...

Now is the time for marching
Now let your hearts be gay
Hark to the merry bugles
Sounding along our way
So let your voices ring, my boys,
And take the time from me
And I'll sing you a song, as we march along,
Of Sussex by the Sea
And we're going up to win the cup
For Sussex by the sea

The notes in bold are the ones that require this high note and cut the singing. I would suggest a recording of it being played in the key of 'B-major' or 'C-major' to be used.

Please add your suggestions and correct anything you think may be wrong here. We need to get this right!
Don't know where to start really having put a lot of effort into this a couple of months back to seemingly zero effect.... and I followed in the footsteps of a previous failed attempt to engage the club on the proper singing of SBTS...

What happens at the moment is now just about passable in my opinion. They solved the problem of complete silence during the "We're the men from Sussex" verse by editing it out and so at least that embarrassment is avoided.

HOWEVER, it falls so far short of what it should be.

The solutions are so obvious and simple it seems impossible that it can't be sorted out...

1) Music played in a lower key
2) An AV presentation on the screen with some words on to allow all 3 or 4 stands to sing in time with each other

"The club", including the guy directly responsible for the music and screens , are aware of the issue. The last I heard was that "options are being considered/explored". I'm taking a break from campaigning about it while they are still sorting out more important stuff to do with the stadium but it must be resolved at some point.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Amd if anyone was concerned at having the words put up on the Big Screens, I recently went to a Grren Bay Packers American Football Match.

They put up the words to the American National Anthem on their GIANT screens!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here