Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FA Cup Round 4 Brighton & Hove Albion v Newcastle United** Official Match Thread **

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Here we go Ladies & Gentlemen

Saturday, 28 January 2012
FA Cup
Home Team Score Away Team Time
Brighton v Newcastle 17:15

TEAM NEWS
Brighton winger Kazenga LuaLua, who has been out for three weeks, may make his return from a hamstring problem.

Craig Noone could also be back from the same injury, while Vicente may play after returning from a thigh injury.

Newcastle defender Fabricio Coloccini will be given a late fitness test after pulling his groin in training.

Despite exiting the Africa Cup of Nations, the game comes too early for Demba Ba and Papiss Demba Cisse and Sylvain Marveaux is still sidelined.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• Newcastle hold a seven wins to six lead over Brighton after 16 clashes in the old Second Division and FA Cup.

• A quarter of those meetings were FA Cup matches, and Brighton are looking to knock out the Magpies for the third time, having been victorious at St James' Park in the third round on two occasions; 1-0 in a 1983 replay, and 2-0 in 1986.

• Newcastle have only progressed once at the expense of the Seagulls, but that was in the fifth round in 1930, when they recorded a 3-0 home triumph.

Brighton & Hove Albion

• Brighton, who needed a replay to knock out the one remaining non-league club Wrexham, reached the fifth round for the first time in 25 years last season.

• The Seagulls have lost one of their last 11 home FA Cup matches over six years.

• Gus Poyet's side are one of four from the Championship facing Premier League opposition this weekend, and are unbeaten in 2012, after five league and cup outings.

Newcastle United

• Alan Pardew is hoping to guide Newcastle into the fifth round for the first time in six seasons.

• The Magpies, who won the FA Cup for the sixth and most recent time in 1955, have won only three ties since reaching the quarter-finals in 2006.

• They have conceded a total of seven goals in their last two away ties in the competition and have not won in eight on the road, since knocking out League Two Cheltenham six years ago.

Newcastle make the long journey south on Saturday to face a Brighton side back on form in the Championship. Having won their last three league outings, the Seagulls will be confident, but so will the Magpies', whose remarkable return to the top flight is continuing as they sit in sixth in the Premier League.

•Brighton are unbeaten in their last five outings, winning three of those after 90 minutes, with the two draws coming against Wrexham in the FA Cup third round. The Seagulls have lost just one of their last seven outings at the Amex Stadium.

•Newcastle defeat at Fulham last time out ended a three-game winning sequence that included their 2-1 victory over Blackburn in the last round. The Magpies have won just one of their last six away matches in the Premier League.
•These sides have only met 16 times before, with Newcastle holding a slight advantage with seven wins to Brighton’s six. The Seagulls are unbeaten in their last four clashes, however.
Over/under

•14 of Brighton’s last 19 league and cup outings have produced under 2.5 goals, with eight of these actually finishing under 1.5 goals. At home, seven of their last nine have seen under two-and-a-half goals.

•Alan Pardew’s side have been involved in some high-scoring games in recent months, with 15 of their last 20 matches ending over 2.5 goals. Ten of those 15 have actually seen over 3.5 goals, with three of the 20 featuring under 1.5 goals.
Correct score

•Gus Poyet’s side have scored in each of their last five outings, but failed to score in the four before that run. They have kept two clean sheets in their last nine outings, although conceding only once in five of those matches.

•The Magpies have scored in their last seven outings, with at least two in five of those outings, and they have failed to score just twice in their last 21 matches. They have kept clean sheets in half of their last eight outings.
Double result

•Albion have been ahead at half-time in ten of their league and cup games this season, going on to claim victory in eight of those outings. When losing at the break, however, they have lost six of the nine matches, picking up two draws and one victory.

•Of the eight matches in which Pardew’s men have led after 45 minutes, they have claimed victory on six occasions, losing on the last instance at Fulham. When they have been trailing at the interval, the Magpies have lost just three times, with one win and four draws.
Goalscorers

•Ashley Barnes has found the net eight times this season, including in the replay at Wrexham in round three. Craig Mackail-Smith is close behind with seven strikes and Will Buckley has claimed six.

•Demba Ba is Newcastle’s top scorer this season with 15 goals, all in the Premier League, but he is away at the African Nations Cup. Next on the chart is Leon Best, with just four, while Yohan Cabaye, Hatem Ben Arfa, Ryan Taylor and Peter Lovenkrands have three.
Key men

•Forward Buckley is the man in form for Brighton, with three goals in their last three outings. Poyet will be hoping he continues with that form with fellow forward Mackail-Smith not scoring in his last nine appearances.

•Best will shoulder much of the attacking burden in the continued absence of Demba Ba, and Pardew will be looking to the former Coventry man to fire the goals needed on both cup and league fronts.
Best bet:

Come on Albion

bobzam

Brighton 'til I die
Aug 13, 2008
Bristol
Travelling down from Bristol for this one and canny wait as the Geordies would say!!!

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
3-2 for me cos it sounds exciting. This will also be the first true sell out (or as near as) I believe

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
3-2 for me cos it sounds exciting. This will also be the first true sell out (or as near as) I believe

Better quickly sell the remaining tickets then

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I haven't looked forward to a game as much as this one for weeks.

1-1 draw

I do already have a hotel booked in Newcastle for the replay

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
May as well put in the bits that are missing

Venue: Amex Stadium

Referee: LEE PROBERT
Assistant Referees: Ronald Ganfield & Andrew Garratt
Fourth Official: Christopher Foy

FA Cup Matches at Brighton - all time
Brighton wins - 0
Newcastle wins - 0
Draws - 1
Brighton goals - 1
Newcastle goals - 1

FA Cup Results at Brighton - all time
12.01.1983 Brighton 1-1 Newcastle

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Should be a good'un.....hope the performance is better than against Wrexham!

Yea i think it will be a much better performance as the players will be bang up for this and we are the underdogs like Wrexham was, so, in a sense, got nothing to loose and every thing to gain from this match.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I haven't looked forward to a game as much as this one for weeks.

1-1 draw

I do already have a hotel booked in Newcastle for the replay

For the Tuesday Night or the Wednesday Night?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
party time at my lad's this afternoon to watch the game on telly - 3 sons + partners, 7 grandchildren, I great grandson and a few friends - gonna be a blast!

just read the Argus and found out Bridcutt is a tartan! (well he qualifies for them anyway) - hoping to recover from the shock before 5pm :)

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Should be a good'un.....hope the performance is better than against Wrexham!

I think the motivation is there, a big club in the EPL who has been doing considerably well this season. The prospect of putting on a good display to impress couldn't be any better.

I think this will be a 2-2 draw, with goals from Buckley and CMS today, I'm hoping CMS gets the last goal to end the goal drought he currently has.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here