Getting excited about Olympics

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I can't WAIT to see what the organisers decide best depicts the British Olympic spirit.

:clap:

A re-enactment of a load of Croydon chavs looting their own High Street?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Alright, you might not agree with the politics or whatever, but this (from Beijing) was absolutely EPIC in scale. The London one has about a quarter of the budget, admittedly, but I am looking forward to seeing what national cliches Danny Boyle can chuck in there.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Here we go. Sydney 2000, opening ceremony. A man dressed as a washing line :clap:

Hills-Hoist-6076044.jpg

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Over Christmas I was on a country walk with many people from my family and others when one of our number announced that they had got tickets to the 100 metres final. There was collective astonishment and envy at his feat of planning and luck - until he added the word "women".
The majority of men present managed to limit themselves to a raised eyebrow but pretty much every woman said "Oh - that's shit."

Pretty sure that will remain my favourite Olympic moment.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
and were it ever to happen at the Amex........................................
_930968_ceremony300.jpg

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
All you doubters can do one, I bet you'll be bloody glued when it comes on. For once we have the chance to be proud of something, to show off a bit...I think we'll do an awesome job. Money, Schmoney: it's not like if we hadn't got the games the Government would have chucked all the funds at schools & hospitals. It's the only chance I'll get in my lifetime to see the Olympic games in my home country and I cant wait.

Let's be honest, it'll be a bigger deal than the perennial let-downs that is the England football team in Poland/Ukraine...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I love the Olympic games despite all the cynicism from other people. I like the ceremonies, heats, sailing, cycling, gymnastics, and the athletics. I've watched each and every one of them and am thrilled that it's here in London.

I'm about as excited about the Olympics as I am about a Yorkshire pudding that will not rise!

Only good thing is once they are over, it won't be too long until the start of the football season. Am hoping for a nice holiday deal to gt away whilst they are on

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
They should set up a permanent site in Athens, and do it every four years in the country where it all began. Simpler, vastly cheaper, safer and far better for the environment.

Might be just the thing to save the poor old Greek economy as well.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Some people really are miserable greatest sporting event on ya door step and ya moan.

Too right. Blah blah moan moan taxpayers money whinge elitist sports moan moan spend it on hospitals blah blah...fine, don't watch it then, but spare the rest of us who do want a piece of it the incessant grumbling while it's on. It is something unique & special, and it's not like the money would otherwise have been spent on nurses anyway, so cheer up and celebrate one of the biggest events on earth being on your doorstep.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
It's sport on telly for birds (as proven by this thread).

My mum will love it, a bit like she loves tennis for two weeks a year when Wimbledon is on.

Can't understand the big hoohar about tickets, your average athletics meeting gets about 3k people at most. Bloody JCLs!

It's a big f*** off waste of money, they should have taken the millions of pounds it is costing an bribed the Fifa delegates so we got to host a proper tournament and got to see some proper sportsmen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports